Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Free Battery Replacement Offered

http://www.irextechnologies.com/supp...ry_replacement

More info here: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=5153#5153

Coming in Q2 2007. Hopefully it will be user replaceable. Out of the box, it will bring the iLiad to 15 hours, but for those who want to underclock their CPU, I'd imagine we can get upwards of at least 20.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I don't want to mar the celebration but only 3 hours extension is promised. Now for me it makes maximum 13 hours (10+3), if I do the match correctly. CPU underclocking will result in 15-16 max.
Please help me to understand how you envisage the 20 (which is also my aim but can not see to occur.)
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
They had previously posted that with planned improvements, they epect to get 12 hours out of the current battery. Right now, I can get 14 with underclocking (as opposed to 10 standard). So stock 15 hours, + 4 current batt underclocking + ~1-2 with the additional battery = ~20 or so hours on the new battery. The math makes sense to me.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

What if their planned improvements = underclocking?
then we only get as far as 17 (15-16 in worst case).
That would be quite in line with the 15 hours spec of the 2007 iLiad*.

Never mind I just thought they will be generous enough to add 50% larger battery. Still this is a positive move on their side.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
whats the irex returns like now?
my iliad is working fine atm and kinda worried about sending it back only to find they've broken something.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
vampyre
Haemoglobin Junkie
vampyre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
my iliad is working fine atm and kinda worried about sending it back only to find they've broken something.

Me too. I have the worst history with couriers/post/delivery imaginable and I don't want my Iliad returned in fragments.
vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
My recent experience with repair-by-return has been very good. I had a failure of the display with the sudden onset about 2 weeks ago of a line of "dead pixels". I sent the iLiad last week and it is (I'm told) repaired and will arrive tomorrow by UPS. Covered under warranty, too. Alas, with iRex the proof is in the unboxing and turning it on. Fingers crossed...
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #8
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

CPU underclocking

Dear all:
Sorry for my question. Does anyone can tell me what is "CPU underclocking"?
I would like to know if this can help me to improve number of hours of my IRex battery will be lasted.

THanks IC
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Underclocking is when you tell the processor to run slower than its rated speed (you do it by slowing down the internal clock that the processor uses to time itself). As to whether it can help with the battery life ... there's a discussion of what effects it has in this thread, starting in post #4.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
Mambo
Gadget fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
Dear all:
Sorry for my question. Does anyone can tell me what is "CPU underclocking"?
I would like to know if this can help me to improve number of hours of my IRex battery will be lasted.

THanks IC
It can help to improve your battery life. If you run the iLiad at 100Mhz you will get an additional 25% according to my measurement.
Running the iLiad at 33Mhz will give you more.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Hopefully it will be user replaceable.
I don't think so, the device has to be openend for that (which voids warranty).
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

While this is all well and good as an offer. Why have customers not received an email stating this (time limited) offer?
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hopefully that will be next. This announcement is quite recent. They'll only be able contact customers for whom they have valid email addresses, of course.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat
While this is all well and good as an offer. Why have customers not received an email stating this (time limited) offer?
To restrict the people that actually fill out the form (and cost 'them money) to those who go rampage in their forums.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

Thanks for your reply. Regarding underclocking, how can I possibly adjust to 33 or 100Mhz? Or I cannot do that yet as a normal user? I would love to have it since juice of my battery just gone so easily now.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote