Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #226
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Another problem with this firmware. If I use Wikipedia or Google to search for a term or word in a book and don't turn WiFi off, then often it decides to sync. The tick appears in the ( ) icon. Yet sync is off in settings.
I also have reporting off.
No account setup except the Kobo one needed for first setup.

Any idea how to stop it? Is is some sort of analytics reporting I can disable in Calibre (the settings on the Kobo Utilites are a little confusing).

Kobo H2O original with SD slot.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #227
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually using about two steps larger font than I want slightly helps touch. The normal font I use is larger than I use on a Kindle PW3 or Sony PRS350 already as I might use Kobo for 10 hours at a time and PRS350 maybe 1/2 hour while out. Its 5" screen is superior to the 6" on my mobile due to better aspect ratio and lack of nasty LED lighting. I only use front light on Kobo or PW3 if out somewhere with very dim lighting.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #228
compurandom
Addict
compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo aura h2o
I don't think it's doing the sync that you have unchecked.

I think some background process gets stuck trying to download stuff though. Whatever it is, it keeps the wifi on and drains the battery.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #229
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Another problem with this firmware. If I use Wikipedia or Google to search for a term or word in a book and don't turn WiFi off, then often it decides to sync. The tick appears in the ( ) icon. Yet sync is off in settings.
I also have reporting off.
No account setup except the Kobo one needed for first setup.

Any idea how to stop it? Is is some sort of analytics reporting I can disable in Calibre (the settings on the Kobo Utilites are a little confusing).

Kobo H2O original with SD slot.
You haven't turned off sync. What you have turned off is an once-a-day automatic full sync. It will sync at other times including just after WiFi is turned for the first time in a while. The only way to stop it is to do some patching.

And there is absolutely nothing in the Kobo Utilities plugin related to syncing. And yes, I'm completely baffled why you think the settings for it are confusing. But, I suppose if you went in with the mistaken idea that it had anything to do with the device syncing to the Kobo server, that would make things hard to understand.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #230
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere

There are analytics settings on the Kobo stuff on Calibre. Obviously that involves communication to the "mothership".
Is there a list of domains the Kobo uses? I don't want a random Firmware update when I'm in the middle of reading or proofing. That happened once.
The settings then on the Kobo are misleading.
Syncing and updates
Automatic sync: [ ] On
Sync time Night V (greyed out)

By any reasonable definition if Automatic <something> is off, then it's purely manual. That assumption is re-enforced by the fact that Sync has an icon between Battery and Search on the top tool bar.

Obviously my experience suggests your explanation is true. However it's misleading of Kobo. Are they trying to compete with MS, Google and Amazon for misleading users?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #231
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
There are analytics settings on the Kobo stuff on Calibre. Obviously that involves communication to the "mothership".
There is one option in Kobo Utilities to create a trigger to prevent some analytics being stored in the database. This function is described in the help. And I don't consider that a "setting".
Quote:
Is there a list of domains the Kobo uses? I don't want a random Firmware update when I'm in the middle of reading or proofing. That happened once.
If you want to completely block the sync, look at the patches.

Oh, and once out of how many hours of reading?
Quote:
The settings then on the Kobo are misleading.
Syncing and updates
Automatic sync: [ ] On
Sync time Night V (greyed out)

By any reasonable definition if Automatic <something> is off, then it's purely manual. That assumption is re-enforced by the fact that Sync has an icon between Battery and Search on the top tool bar.

Obviously my experience suggests your explanation is true. However it's misleading of Kobo. Are they trying to compete with MS, Google and Amazon for misleading users?
I have disagree with you about that setting. It doesn't say anything about never doing a sync. It is only about an scheduled sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote