Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #286
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
This thread took a lot of work to create & I was very proud of it.

However: the admins decided the guide was ban-worthy & won't even tell me what the problem is so I can fix it. It's very disheartening.

My lesson to others: stick to quietly mooching. ( I will from now on. )

Attachment 160266
If you can find out why they did it, let me know.
I have been trying to get banned here for years.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:11 AM   #287
TheNeedforRead
TheNeedforRead began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
This thread took a lot of work to create & I was very proud of it.

However: the admins decided the guide was ban-worthy & won't even tell me what the problem is so I can fix it. It's very disheartening.

My lesson to others: stick to quietly mooching. ( I will from now on. )

Attachment 160266
Whaaa?? Surely this is some mistake
Does it even make sense to ban the OP but not to delete the guide?

Really sorry to hear about this Grant. Should steps be taken to take an offline copy of the whole thread as backup?

I owe you for my own JB device, anything useful I can do please let me know.
TheNeedforRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #288
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedforRead View Post
Whaaa?? Surely this is some mistake
Does it even make sense to ban the OP but not to delete the guide?

Really sorry to hear about this Grant. Should steps be taken to take an offline copy of the whole thread as backup?

I owe you for my own JB device, anything useful I can do please let me know.
Second blue bar from top, "Thread tools" drop down box.
Pick either:
Download thread
or
Printable version
or
Email this page
Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #289
CEH9I
CEH9I began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Good day such usb ttl uart will approach?
CEH9I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #290
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH9I View Post

Не могли бы вы задать вопрос на своем родном языке?

я не понимаю твоего вопроса.

Перевод перепутался.

Thanks in advance.

I asked him to please post the question in his native language. Since the translation made no sense.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #291
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH9I View Post
да
da

also see the kindle section of:
http://4pda.ru/

Last edited by knc1; 12-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #292
CEH9I
CEH9I began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Thanks for answers.
I ordered the UART adapter after Jailbreaking.
CEH9I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #293
svg1234
svg1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Joined mobileread yesterday mainly to express thanks to those who post on this forum and share valuable information. Special thanks to Grant2, knc1, NiLuJe, and Coplate. Amazing how much one can learn in just a couple of days of reading.

I also thought I should write a post to hopefully provide some help to those who might attempt this procedure.

I bought a Kindle PW3 last year. Hadn't used it much, but was aware that it could be jailbroken. Unfortunately, before doing enough research. I allowed it to update to 5.9.2 (32507...). As far as I have read, there is no software JB for that rev at this time (at least not in the public domain). When I saw this thread and realized that I could do it via the serial debug port, I knew I had to go for it. I've done a lot of, um, "modding" of h/w and s/w over the years.

I live in Canada and it's not easy to get parts/components locally. Availability is poor and if you do find parts, they are usually far more expensive than they should be (mostly due to insane shipping costs). We do the best we can given the reality of the situation.

I could not easily or inexpensively get a MicroFTX or Micro1v8 board. But I was able to find this circuit board:

https://www.electronicgeek.ca/collec...-port-montreal

It's based on the FT232R. Without knowing anything about arduion, or this tiny circuit board, I figured I'd be able to get it to work somehow for this application as long as it had a USB to serial chip on it. This board has "yp-05" stamped on the back. Turns out this circuit is quite popular and sold on ebay and many other online stores. It also turns out that the FTDI chip is a fake! (Confirmed by serial number). Oh well. It didn't give me any trouble, but it's probably better to try and get the real thing if you can.

That circuit (by default) outputs 5v or 3.3v (jumper selectable). From what I had read, the kindle uses 1.8v. I probably could have just gone ahead and used 3.3V, but I didn't want to take the chance of frying my kindle. The post on the first page of this thread shows a location (TP1706) near the debug port to tap 1.8v and connect it to the FT230X's VCCIO. However, according to the FT232R's datasheet, you should use the same source as VCC in order to drive VCCIO, i.e. if you use the USB port's 5V as a source for VCC, you need to use the source for VCCIO too (not TP1706). Normally, one would just use an LDO voltage regulator like the LM1117 to get a stable 1.8V. Unfortunately, none of the electronics stores around here have that component in stock, and I wasn't going to pay mouser $20 for a part that costs 50 cents! So what I did was I dropped the voltage to an acceptable level using resistors. I started with 5V, used 200 ohms for R1, 120 ohms for R2, and ran a wire to VCCIO from between the two resistors, which gave me app. 1.88V. Perfect. It's ugly - but it works.

I use Arch linux on my main desktop PC. As far as software goes, I ended up using a combination of the linux side as well as on my virtualbox win10 guest. Win10 downloaded and installed the correct drivers for the FT232R automatically, so it wasn't necessary to manually download and install the drivers mentioned in grant2's first post. I used win10 version of putty for communication.

What I suggest to anyone reading this and attempting the serial port JB, is to start with grant2's post up until you get to the bootm 0xe41000 part. Then use coplate's post for guidance to get through the next phase: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=237 and then go back to grant2's post until you get to the KUAL installation part. If your kindle is at 5.9.2, those instructions will no longer work for installing KUAL.

The hardware part went well, and the jailbreak installed as expected, but what should have been the "easy" part (installing KUAL and other software post-JB) gave me the most trouble. I read a lot of posts after, thought that maybe somehow the jailbreak got taken out (though I did set the kindle to airplane mode). Nothing I tried worked. I was just about to re-open the kindle and reconnect to the serial port, when I tried the G090G1 bin which is posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=64. Much to my surprise the "Update Your Kindle" option became available! I executed that routine, which updated then rebooted, and voila...KUAL booklet was finally installed! From thereon in it was smooth sailing. Before running "UYK", I saw that the G090G1 bin file had been renamed with a long string of hex (a key of some sort to get the kindle to accept the update?) before I ran the UYK. Interesting.

One last thing. Make sure you have excellent light and a magnifying glass to solder wires to the debug port's pads. They are extremely small. Don't apply the iron's tip to them directly unless you're using a very low powered iron. Tin your wires first, then heat the wire. Applying a little flux can be helpful too.

Last edited by svg1234; 12-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.
svg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #294
ddmond
ddmond began at the beginning.

Device: kobo 905c
figured out!

Last edited by ddmond; 12-19-2017 at 11:20 PM.
ddmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #295
ddmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg1234 View Post
Joined mobileread yesterday mainly to express thanks to those who post on this forum and share valuable information. Special thanks to Grant2, knc1, NiLuJe, and Coplate. Amazing how much one can learn in just a couple of days of reading.

I also thought I should write a post to hopefully provide some help to those who might attempt this procedure.

I bought a Kindle PW3 last year. Hadn't used it much, but was aware that it could be jailbroken. Unfortunately, before doing enough research. I allowed it to update to 5.9.2 (32507...). As far as I have read, there is no software JB for that rev at this time (at least not in the public domain). When I saw this thread and realized that I could do it via the serial debug port, I knew I had to go for it. I've done a lot of, um, "modding" of h/w and s/w over the years.

I live in Canada and it's not easy to get parts/components locally. Availability is poor and if you do find parts, they are usually far more expensive than they should be (mostly due to insane shipping costs). We do the best we can given the reality of the situation.

I could not easily or inexpensively get a MicroFTX or Micro1v8 board. But I was able to find this circuit board:

https://www.electronicgeek.ca/collec...-port-montreal

It's based on the FT232R. Without knowing anything about arduion, or this tiny circuit board, I figured I'd be able to get it to work somehow for this application as long as it had a USB to serial chip on it. This board has "yp-05" stamped on the back. Turns out this circuit is quite popular and sold on ebay and many other online stores. It also turns out that the FTDI chip is a fake! (Confirmed by serial number). Oh well. It didn't give me any trouble, but it's probably better to try and get the real thing if you can.

That circuit (by default) outputs 5v or 3.3v (jumper selectable). From what I had read, the kindle uses 1.8v. I probably could have just gone ahead and used 3.3V, but I didn't want to take the chance of frying my kindle. The post on the first page of this thread shows a location (TP1706) near the debug port to tap 1.8v and connect it to the FT230X's VCCIO. However, according to the FT232R's datasheet, you should use the same source as VCC in order to drive VCCIO, i.e. if you use the USB port's 5V as a source for VCC, you need to use the source for VCCIO too (not TP1706). Normally, one would just use an LDO voltage regulator like the LM1117 to get a stable 1.8V. Unfortunately, none of the electronics stores around here have that component in stock, and I wasn't going to pay mouser $20 for a part that costs 50 cents! So what I did was I dropped the voltage to an acceptable level using resistors. I started with 5V, used 200 ohms for R1, 120 ohms for R2, and ran a wire to VCCIO from between the two resistors, which gave me app. 1.88V. Perfect. It's ugly - but it works.

I use Arch linux on my main desktop PC. As far as software goes, I ended up using a combination of the linux side as well as on my virtualbox win10 guest. Win10 downloaded and installed the correct drivers for the FT232R automatically, so it wasn't necessary to manually download and install the drivers mentioned in grant2's first post. I used win10 version of putty for communication.

What I suggest to anyone reading this and attempting the serial port JB, is to start with grant2's post up until you get to the bootm 0xe41000 part. Then use coplate's post for guidance to get through the next phase: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=237 and then go back to grant2's post until you get to the KUAL installation part. If your kindle is at 5.9.2, those instructions will no longer work for installing KUAL.

The hardware part went well, and the jailbreak installed as expected, but what should have been the "easy" part (installing KUAL and other software post-JB) gave me the most trouble. I read a lot of posts after, thought that maybe somehow the jailbreak got taken out (though I did set the kindle to airplane mode). Nothing I tried worked. I was just about to re-open the kindle and reconnect to the serial port, when I tried the G090G1 bin which is posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=64. Much to my surprise the "Update Your Kindle" option became available! I executed that routine, which updated then rebooted, and voila...KUAL booklet was finally installed! From thereon in it was smooth sailing. Before running "UYK", I saw that the G090G1 bin file had been renamed with a long string of hex (a key of some sort to get the kindle to accept the update?) before I ran the UYK. Interesting.

One last thing. Make sure you have excellent light and a magnifying glass to solder wires to the debug port's pads. They are extremely small. Don't apply the iron's tip to them directly unless you're using a very low powered iron. Tin your wires first, then heat the wire. Applying a little flux can be helpful too.
Greetings from Winnipeg, what software did u use for the jailbreak?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #296
thesunisup
thesunisup began at the beginning.

Device: pp3
ttl adapter

Do you think this one will work ?

http://www.electrodragon.com/product...l-ch340-board/

I have a Paperwhite 3, this adapter will broke my chip on 3.3v?! (I already bought it soo...)
thesunisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #297
02xda2
moddedmad
02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunisup View Post

I have a Paperwhite 3, this adapter will broke my chip on 3.3v?! (I already bought it soo...)
Yes, should work. Kindle tolerates 3.3v though recommended is 1.8v (used both 1.8v and 3.3v on my kindle without frying)
02xda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:55 PM   #298
ddmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunisup View Post

you won't fry your chip, I went through the whole jailbreak process under 3.3v (I forgot to set the voltage on my adapter to 1.8v, using 3.3v by default)
Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #299
Soonerlater
Soonerlater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
De-Bricking Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Generation)

My Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.) is bricked. Holding down the power button for >60 seconds will cause the LED charge light to flash 4 times (after holding the button for about 15-20 seconds). When this happens, the sounds made by my Windows 10 computer connected to it sound like a device has disconnected. About ten seconds later, my computer makes a different sound like a device has just connected. In other words, the Paperwhite seems to be rebooting. However, the PW screen never lights up or changes in anyway. My Kindle never appears in Windows Explorer (file manager) as an attached device.

I came to this thread not hoping to Jailbreak my PW, but simply to de-brick it.

I purchased (from Amazon) a "Micro1v8" 1.8v (default voltage) UART by jim.sh.

With 30 gauge leads soldered to TX, RX and Ground on the UART and the same leads soldered to the TX and RX serial debug solder points and the ground wire connected to a ground screw on the Kindle motherboard, the utility USBview.exe, I get the following on the USB connected to the UART:

Quote:
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0200
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x08 (8)
idVendor: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
idProduct: 0x6015
bcdDevice: 0x1000
iManufacturer: 0x01
0x0409: "FTDI"
iProduct: 0x02
0x0409: "FT230X Basic UART"
iSerialNumber: 0x03
0x0409: "DO009RY7"
bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
Current Config Value: 0x01
Device Bus Speed: Full
Device Address: 0x17
Open Pipes: 2

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress: 0x81 IN
Transfer Type: Bulk
wMaxPacketSize: 0x0040 (64)
bInterval: 0x00

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress: 0x02 OUT

Configuration Descriptor:
wTotalLength: 0x0020
bNumInterfaces: 0x01
bConfigurationValue: 0x01
iConfiguration: 0x00
bmAttributes: 0x80 (Bus Powered )
MaxPower: 0x2D (90 Ma)

Interface Descriptor:
bInterfaceNumber: 0x00
bAlternateSetting: 0x00
bNumEndpoints: 0x02
bInterfaceClass: 0xFF
bInterfaceSubClass: 0xFF
bInterfaceProtocol: 0xFF
iInterface: 0x02

Endpoint Descriptor:

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress: 0x02 OUT
From this, I believe that I am sure that I'm successfully talking to the UART, but still not sure whether the UART is successfully talking to the Kindle.

Meanwhile, with a 2nd USB cable connected to the regular USB port on the Kindle, the same USBview.exe reports this:

Quote:
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0200
bDeviceClass: 0x00
bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x40 (64)
idVendor: 0x15A2
idProduct: 0x0063
bcdDevice: 0x0001
iManufacturer: 0x01
0x0409: "Freescale SemiConductor Inc "
iProduct: 0x02
0x0409: "SE Blank MEGREZ"
iSerialNumber: 0x00

Device Bus Speed: High
Device Address: 0x18
Open Pipes: 1

Endpoint Descriptor:
Transfer Type: Interrupt
bInterval: 0x01

wTotalLength: 0x0022
iConfiguration: 0x04
0x0409: "Freescale Flash"
bmAttributes: 0xC0 (Bus Powered Self Powered )
MaxPower: 0x05 (10 Ma)

Interface Descriptor:
bNumEndpoints: 0x01
bInterfaceClass: 0x03 (HID)
bInterfaceSubClass: 0x00
bInterfaceProtocol: 0x00
iInterface: 0x05

HID Descriptor:
bcdHID: 0x0110
bCountryCode: 0x00
bNumDescriptors: 0x01
bDescriptorType: 0x22
wDescriptorLength: 0x004C

Endpoint Descriptor:
0x0409: "SE Blank MEGREZ"
iSerialNumber: 0x00

Device Bus Speed: High
Device Address: 0x18
Open Pipes: 1

Endpoint Descriptor:

wTotalLength: 0x0022
iConfiguration: 0x04
bmAttributes: 0xC0 (Bus Powered Self Powered )
MaxPower: 0x05 (10 Ma)

Interface Descriptor:
bNumEndpoints: 0x01
bInterfaceClass: 0x03 (HID)
bInterfaceSubClass: 0x00
bInterfaceProtocol: 0x00
iInterface: 0x05

HID Descriptor:
bcdHID: 0x0110
bCountryCode: 0x00
bNumDescriptors: 0x01
bDescriptorType: 0x22
wDescriptorLength: 0x004C

Endpoint Descriptor:
(bold + red added after the fact, of course).

I have Kittty (a Putty variant) connected to the COM port used by the UART, but I never see anything in the terminal window.

I try pulling the battery and the power-USB to make it reboot, then reconnect them, but I never see anything in the terminal window.

I've looked at my solder work on the Kindle motherboard under a strong magnifying glass. I'm confident that I have good clean solders with no bleed-over on to another circuit. I worked quickly (just about 2 seconds), so I am confident that I didn't overheat the board.

The battery was charged for more than a week before trying to de-brick this PW. I used my digital multimeter to check voltage on the battery + to ground reads 3.50 volts; + to - reads 3.90 volts, which is not as good as new, but still within acceptable levels, I believe.

What now?
Soonerlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #300
knc1
Going Viral

Make it:
GND <=> GND
Tx => Rx
Rx <= Tx
I.E: Shouting into someone's mouth does not help them hear you, you have to shout into their ear.

Tags
serial jailbreak