Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Gutenberg (or other PD) favorites

OK -- so list a few of your favorite public domain works.

I just finished Wilkie Collins' Woman in White and loved it. It is well-written, suspenseful, and full of colorful characters. I remember really liking The Moonstone as well, when I read it in high school, so that's another reco.

One of my other all-time favorite classics is The Count of Monte Cristo By Alexander Dumas. Pirates? Got it. Romance? Got it. Daring escapes? Got it. Secret treasures? Got it. Revenge? Got it. Etc. etc. This is an amazing adventure novel.

So what are your faves and why?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I will put Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini on the list. There are several others of his that I want to read, but I haven't gotten around to them

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Chronicles of Clovis and Beasts & Super-Beasts, by Saki. I recommended his works to someone recently, and someone else jumped in with, "His stories read like Oscar Wilde, P.G. Wodehouse, and Rudyard Kipling somehow had a lovechild. An animal-loving, slightly evil, incredibly snarky lovechild."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I really liked the "Mars" novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. He also wrote a series set on Venus. And, I understand that there are similar books (swordsmen in space kind of adventure) by Otis Adelbert Kline. I'm pretty sure all the available books are in the MobileRead database.

ePub format:
Burrough's Barsoom Omnibus, prepared by Harry T
Burrough's Venus Omnibus, prepared by Harry T
Kline's Venus Omnibus, prepared by mtravellerh

MobiPocket format:
Burrough's Barsoom Omnibus, prepared by Harry T
Burrough's Venus Omnibus, prepared by Harry T
Kline's Venus Omnibus, prepared by Harry T
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Chronicles of Clovis and Beasts & Super-Beasts, by Saki. I recommended his works to someone recently, and someone else jumped in with, "His stories read like Oscar Wilde, P.G. Wodehouse, and Rudyard Kipling somehow had a lovechild. An animal-loving, slightly evil, incredibly snarky lovechild."
Sounds totally intriguing!! I'll need to do some downloading
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have been using eBook Mall for quite some time, starting back when I used my Palm Pilot as an ebook reader. A lot of them are free with membership and some are reduced price for members. They do charge a one time lifetime membership but it has been worth it. All of their books come in just about every format, including MobiReader, which drops right into the Kindle via USB cable.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've downloaded thousands of Project G public domain works just so I could read all the 'required literature' that I skipped in school by reading the Cliff Notes...
It really is a shame that these books were wasted on minds too young to enjoy them!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You too? I thought I was alone here. I too never read a classic in shcool. Surprised I got through with passing grades. Anyway, now I'm reading all those greats and loving it. Maybe that's the plan all along, to instill interest for later in life.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
0utis
Enthusiast
0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook 902
Queen Lucia, by E.F. Benson. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this book. It's about the struggle for power in a small English town among very ordinary people - so it's social satire, I guess. The main character, Lucia, is the most insufferable snob but somehow I always end up rooting for her. A very amusing book, if you like Austen and Wodehouse there is a good chance you'll enjoy it.
0utis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utis View Post
Queen Lucia, by E.F. Benson. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this book. It's about the struggle for power in a small English town among very ordinary people - so it's social satire, I guess. The main character, Lucia, is the most insufferable snob but somehow I always end up rooting for her. A very amusing book, if you like Austen and Wodehouse there is a good chance you'll enjoy it.
Awesome, thank you! I'll check it out
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The "Mapp and Lucia" omnibus is available in the MobileRead library.

One of my favourite books is Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens. It was one of those books I was sad to say goodbye to and wanted to start all over again.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Dracula by Bram Stoker. Very effective.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
One of my favourite books is Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens. It was one of those books I was sad to say goodbye to and wanted to start all over again.
I'll give that one a try. I have never been able to get into Great Expectations or Tale of Two Cities but so many people love Dickens, I want to figure out what I'm missing!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I used to read a Dickens every 3-4 years, but since I got my Sony, I've been reading a lot more of him and loving it.

I particularly liked 'Our Mutual Friend' - the ending is a little lacking, but the pleasure of reading it was immense. Terrific characters, both serious and comic, and just a terrific pleasure.

I'll also read anything by Sabatini, but I second the 'Captain Blood' recommendation. It's one of my fave books, and one of the few books I actually wanted (and got) a first edition of.

Hard for me to pick just a few classics, as I've read so many and loved so many. There's only a few writers today that I follow with the same devotion I give a Dumas, Sabatini, Austen, MacDonald, or Dickens. Very few.

OK, two.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
H. Beam Piper, a science fiction author.

He was a somewhat popular author in his day, but not popular enough to make a living at writing (he killed himself because he was broke and couldn't sell any more of his writing, apparently).

His politics would probably rub a lot of people the wrong way nowadays (and back then, even - he'd be at home at a Tea Party event), but pretty much define his works. Every time I read his most famous novel, Space Viking, I can't help but thing it's very very relevant to today.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47980

(His work is out of copyright in the US, but I guess not Canada? Go figure. Gutenberg has it, as do a lot of places)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote