Old 01-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
farmersteve
farmersteve began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
best book store

Sorry if this is not the right forum
Now I have my 600 working where is the best Ebook store
I am a little disappointed at the prices for the books I have seen so far
I am not interested in cheating copyright I believe authors deserve every penny they get but I expected to see prices a little lower than so far with a bigger choice (perhaps I am a little picky)
Does copyright allow us to download from American sites?
I like non fiction travel and history
farmersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Copyright isn't the issue, Steve - what are called "geographical restrictions" are. Many publishers are only permitted to sell their books in specific countries, and this is enforced by the eBook stores where appropriate.

You've presumably looked at Waterstones and W.H.Smiths. A decent US bookstore which does have a fair range available is "BooksOnBoard".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Like most things in life, there really is no "best". It depends on where you live, what you want, and what the store carries. Something that might help you is http://inkmesh.com/ . You can do searches of many stores at once, and get an idea of prices and formats available. And yes, I say again don't forget all the free options available, including ones on MobileRead site.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
helenching78
helenching78 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 300
"Geographical restrictions" *moan*

Yeah. I am willing to pay every penny for a good book too.
Here you see how disappointed I was when I found that I can't shop in the Sony ebook store. I resort to the pirated bay at last.
I wonder why. Even the Japan Sony ebook site(the previous Timebook town, now closed down, regretfully) would sell ebooks to foreigners. It's not fair. Readers wants to buy but they don't sell them to customers. Even Amazon have international shipping. I can find every US/UK bestseller paperback in Hong Kong. Then why should ebook be different?
Well, I'm just grumbling. Can't help. The world is not ideal as I know...
helenching78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If I had a Sony I would use the US Sony eBook Library (eBL) software and register as from the US no matter where I lived. This at a minimum gives you access to the Google public domain ePubs, and Sony's geographical restrictions now seem easier to work around than previously (although I am not sure of the details). This is probably the 2nd best single catalog in the US (after the Kindle Store), and therefore the best in ePub. I am not aware of any advantages to using the non-US software that comes with the device overseas - it does not include a built-in store and any Sony Reader can side-load ePubs from local retailers using the US eBL.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Big Three

For PAID eBooks the Big Three are the best: Sony, Amazon and Barnes&Noble.

They all have PC reader software. Thus, you can first select a title and then see who sells it at the lowest price.

I have a PRS 900 and PRS 505. I use the former and my wife uses the latter.

We always have one book for the Sony eReaders and a second from one of the others. I notice not all books are available from all three. Thus, if I want a particular book not available from 2, I just buy it from the other.

I only read books of historical non-fiction and occasionally historical fiction. My wife only reads mystery books. I find the free books just don't come close to the paid books in quality.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-02-2010 at 11:12 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
For PAID eBooks the Big Three are the best: Sony, Amazon and Barnes&Noble.
Sorry, sirmaru, but "farmersteve" is in the UK, so he can't buy books at either Sony or B&N, and Kindle books can't be read on the Sony.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, sirmaru, but "farmersteve" is in the UK, so he can't buy books at either Sony or B&N, and Kindle books can't be read on the Sony.
Neither can B&N right now, even if they are in ePub format.

I second the motion for BooksOnBoard. They don't seem to care that I'm in Germany. The Sony store will let me "purchase" from their rotating catalog of free books. Those are mostly romance, but they mix in some popular authors (Anne McCaffrey, Richard Patterson, etc.).

In addition to Inkmesh, I recommend http://ebooks.addall.com/ and http://ebookprice.info/ for price comparisons.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
In addition to Inkmesh, I recommend http://ebooks.addall.com/ and http://ebookprice.info/ for price comparisons.
Do any of these sites take geographical restrictions into account, and actually tell you what's available for you to buy in your country?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
I'll go with BooksOnBoard, but both WH Smith and Waterstones have stuff on sale at present, which might be very useful. Webscriptions/Baen Books are good if you like SF and fantasy (which I confess I do)

I'll also get behind using Inkmesh - I've found it very useful to get best prices
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Do any of these sites take geographical restrictions into account, and actually tell you what's available for you to buy in your country?
Not that I've noticed. I live in Germany and B&N comes up routinely. With my US credit card, I know that I can buy from the Sony store, BooksOnBoard, and Fictionwise and not from B&N. I haven't tried any of the others.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #12
1490peter
1490peter began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Quote:
I live in Australia and at one time I could buy Sony Gift cards and use them to get around the geographical restriction does this not work any more?
1490peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersteve View Post
Sorry if this is not the right forum
Now I have my 600 working where is the best Ebook store
I am a little disappointed at the prices for the books I have seen so far
I am not interested in cheating copyright I believe authors deserve every penny they get but I expected to see prices a little lower than so far with a bigger choice (perhaps I am a little picky)
Does copyright allow us to download from American sites?
I like non fiction travel and history
To look up books try http://ebooks.addall.com/

I wish that I was in the UK so I could get "Under the Eagle" in epub.
Simon Scarrow
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
I second BooksOnBoard.com. Prices seems very good and you earn credit with every purchase which can be used toward future purchases.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #15
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
The geographic restriction thing bugs me quite a bit! However, I registered at the Sony store as living in the USA and using successfully an European credit card.
KoboBooks require a valid US credit card.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote