Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Sony 300 or 505? What about catalogs?

So, I want a reader for fiction reading. I read a lot of pocket fiction/fantasy and I would love to use a reader for some technical books (like the ones from o'reilly) or even RPG books, but those are not that important.
I would love also to read newspapers or RSS feeds and such, but I don't care about wireless or browsers and stuff.

I am leaning towards the 505, but I've read good things about the 300. The 600 has that touchscreen that I don't really like and that seems to add a lot of glare. Can someone tell me the dimensions of the screens of those two readers? For the PDF's, does the screen size make any difference?

And about catalog. Are there good epub bookstores for fiction? I know that Baen books has almost the whole catalog on ebook format, and that ebooks.com has a nice catalog, but how about the speed of those releases? Say,, november 24 Jim Butcher's new Alera book will be released on Amazon, will other stores have it by the same date or near?
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Shortcovers & BooksOnBoard are too good shops to shop at.

If you go for PDF that are not made for the 6" screen, then you'll find that won't be good enough. But O'Reily has ePub you can read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
The 505 has a 6" screen, the 300 a 5". I had been considering the 300, but when I went to the store they also had a 505 in stock, and when I played around with the 300 I found the screen to be a little small for my taste, so I went with the 505. However, that's just my own personal preference - there are loads of people who have 300s and love them.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote