Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #31
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I encountered an interesting side-effect of the lockups. Today, I noticed that my Opus was making a rattling sound. There was something loose inside - not a good thing.

Upon inspection, I found that one of the tabs on the battery door had broken off. That's what's rattling around.

Most likely, having to remove the battery door to do the reset more than a few times weakened one of the tabs and it finally worked itself off this weekend. Not too bad, but it doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
power + page down for 10 seconds -> reset
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #33
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
power + page down for 10 seconds -> reset
Doesn't work. Just hangs boot.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #34
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
This reset dosn't work correctly if you have a SD card inserted...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #35
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
Well, I got my opus for a bit more then a week now, and I finally really started using it (I had paperbacks to finish first). I got 4 crashes yesterday. Mostly the power + page back worked, but 1 of the 4 crashes was a bit more annoying. The power + page back for 10 seconds didn't reset it. I opened it and tried the inside reset button with no luck either. I was gonna try to remove the battery, but it doesn't seem easy to do either. Finally I just closed it and retried the power + page back and it worked.

I was reading an html file when it crashed and it didn't happen before I was a 3/5th of my book.

Is there any pattern, are some format more susceptible to crash? If I can find a format that doesn't crash my opus I will just convert everything to that format... But well I suppose it isn't so easy
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma6666 View Post
Is there any pattern, are some format more susceptible to crash? If I can find a format that doesn't crash my opus I will just convert everything to that format... But well I suppose it isn't so easy
Badly formatted HTML will crash the Gen 3 often. Converting it to MobiPocket does not help. You have to fix the HTML code.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #37
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Badly formatted HTML will crash the Gen 3 often. Converting it to MobiPocket does not help. You have to fix the HTML code.
In some cases creator will refuse to build book if html is too bad. Most of the cases I had were missing body tag...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It does appear to be related to the book. I've noticed that it's a lot more stable with the books that I've created myself than with the ePub books that I've downloaded from Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma6666 View Post
My crashes, 9 times in 2 and a half books, were all using ePubs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #40
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
I've had crashes with purchased ePubs, ePubs created from HTML produced by ereader2html.py, and straight ASCII text files. First time I didn't realise there was a reset button and wound up disconnecting the battery to get it back -- the manual, after all, being a file on the crashed device...
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcleod View Post
I've had crashes with purchased ePubs, ePubs created from HTML produced by ereader2html.py, and straight ASCII text files. First time I didn't realise there was a reset button and wound up disconnecting the battery to get it back -- the manual, after all, being a file on the crashed device...
That's why you read the manual first .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #42
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's why you read the manual first .
I know...

But the Opus is such a nice shiny device, and using it really doesn't require reading the manual: it's so straightforward, except when it crashes.

Am rather glad there is a reset button, that battery is a real pain to connect!
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #43
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcleod View Post
I know...

But the Opus is such a nice shiny device, and using it really doesn't require reading the manual: it's so straightforward, except when it crashes.

Am rather glad there is a reset button, that battery is a real pain to connect!
You know what ? I almost always download the manuel of my devices even before I buy them...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
You know what ? I almost always download the manuel of my devices even before I buy them...
Yes, it tells lots about what the device can't or can do
I do lots of Internet search before buying expensive stuff. Tends to avoid bad surprise.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #45
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
I encountered an interesting side-effect of the lockups. Today, I noticed that my Opus was making a rattling sound. There was something loose inside - not a good thing.

Upon inspection, I found that one of the tabs on the battery door had broken off. That's what's rattling around.

Most likely, having to remove the battery door to do the reset more than a few times weakened one of the tabs and it finally worked itself off this weekend. Not too bad, but it doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies.
This happened to me too! I noticed the rattling last weekend. I opened it up for the first time and saw the battery and reset button (I always do power + back button to reset), but didn't see any pieces that fell off. I think it was inside the Opus. The Opus itself is working the way it usually works for me, so I wasn't too worried, but makes me wonder what else is going to break in there.
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote