Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
jedi2602
jedi2602 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Hanlin V3 Internal Memory Query

Hi Everyone

My first post here after ages of reading the forums! I have a Bebook, and my daughter has a Bebook. With the recent price increase for Aussies (from $400 to $499), I decided to get my 2nd daughter a Hanlin V3 direct from Jinke.

After I transferred the money, etc, I was reading the OpenInkpot site which said there were two versions of Hanlin V3, one with 64Mb internal memory and one with 512mb. Now I'm anxious that I've bought one with 64mb - it hasn't arrive yet, so I can't check! Can anyone who's bought one direct from Jinke recently advise how much memory it has? Thanks! Shari

Last edited by jedi2602; 07-24-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Updated title for more info
jedi2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi2602 View Post
Hi Everyone

My first post here after ages of reading the forums! I have a Bebook, and my daughter has a Bebook. With the recent price increase for Aussies (from $400 to $499), I decided to get my 2nd daughter a Hanlin V3 direct from Jinke.

After I transferred the money, etc, I was reading the OpenInkpot site which said there were two versions of Hanlin V3, one with 64Mb internal memory and one with 512mb. Now I'm anxious that I've bought one with 64mb - it hasn't arrive yet, so I can't check! Can anyone who's bought one direct from Jinke recently advise how much memory it has? Thanks! Shari
I'm quite sure that the "old" 64MB version isn't sold anymore. You'll probably get the 512MB version.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
More than a month ago, I ordered the V3 special promotion version directly from Hanlin (in China) and there was no option for the internal storage. When it was delivered (about 1 week after ordering) it turned out that they shipped the V3-EXT version, the one with 512MB on-board. So, I guess that, unless you order from a reseller which might have old stock, Hanlin only ships the V3-Ext models.

Note about USB 1.1. Hanlin ships the V3 including a USB 2.0 stick that you can use with the SD memory card. This that transferring data goes at normal USB 2.0 speed. I have quite some books but never transferred directly to the ebook's reader internal memory. It's even recommended to store your ebooks on the memory card and not in the internal memory. One of the first recommendations when when you want to change firmware is to backup all the books from internal memory.
cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
jedi2602
jedi2602 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Thanks for the replies, that's good to know that it will most likely be the 512mb version. I have all my ebooks stored on the internal memory of my own Bebook (all 489 of them in 83 folders....!!) and have never stored them on an SD card .. I've only used an SD card to update firmware. Are there any advantages over having them on the SD card other than the speed of transfer?
jedi2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi2602 View Post
Are there any advantages over having them on the SD card other than the speed of transfer?
With any firmware upgrade the internal memory is likely to be wiped out - while the SD card won't be touched.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Uh, no; that happens no to be the case on the Hanlins.

Internal ebook storage is *not* affected by Firmware updates anymore than BIOS updates impact PC hard drives; Its a very PC-like architecture in that the firmware resides in a separate area from the internal flash.

A future Open Inkpot release may change this by commandeering internal storage for application use but to date all firmware loads are independent of the onboard storage.

Which isn't to say that internal storage is as secure as SD cards; BeBook firmware (at least) has a known bug that will on occasion nuke the internal storage upon a crash. So, yes; SD is safer than internal flash, at least with that firmware. Open Inkpot does not appear to suffer that particular bug, though, so its not a hardware issue...

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-27-2009 at 08:32 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote