Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
New page bounce behavior?

In the last month or so, I've noticed a new erratic behavior for my Gen3. When I hit page forward, or occasionally when I choose a book from the library, the new page displays, but then immediately goes back to the previous page or library display. Sometimes this happens two or three times, and the first time I found it (from the library) it took several minutes of playing with the button to get past that spot.

I think it happens most frequently when the target page is a new chapter or section. I think I've seen it on all types of pages, but not menus.

I thought at first that it might be abnormal wear on the button, but I don't believe that now. I'm positive I didn't see it before installing the latest firmware, but I don't think it started immediately after the update. As a guess (based on experience testing software) I'd say it was a reader bug interacting with some specific code or tag in the book being displayed, but I wouldn't completely rule out a hardware problem.

Anyone else seen this?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Anyone else seen this?
Yep..I thought is was me not pushing the button correctly. Here it happens when I move 'back' one page. It goes back and immediately skips to the next page. So I am reading page 234, want to go back to 233 and I end up at 235. Sometimes I have to try 2 or 3 times

(Yes I know, there are no real page numbers. Don't start that discussion again )
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I've never experienced such a thing with my Cybook.
I'm running firmware 1.2 build 796.

Which version are you running ?
Is it a 512 MB model ?

What kind of ebooks ? only Mobipocket ? HTML ? PDF ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I've never experienced such a thing with my Cybook.
I'm running firmware 1.2 build 796.

Which version are you running ?
Is it a 512 MB model ?

What kind of ebooks ? only Mobipocket ? HTML ? PDF ?
Same version as you, 512 model

Mobi

(Can you really read PDF? )
Old 12-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Same version as you, 512 model

Mobi

(Can you really read PDF? )
:-). Same version, build 796. 64M model, Mobi format.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
In the last month or so, I've noticed a new erratic behavior for my Gen3. When I hit page forward, or occasionally when I choose a book from the library, the new page displays, but then immediately goes back to the previous page or library display. Sometimes this happens two or three times, and the first time I found it (from the library) it took several minutes of playing with the button to get past that spot.

I think it happens most frequently when the target page is a new chapter or section. I think I've seen it on all types of pages, but not menus.

I thought at first that it might be abnormal wear on the button, but I don't believe that now. I'm positive I didn't see it before installing the latest firmware, but I don't think it started immediately after the update. As a guess (based on experience testing software) I'd say it was a reader bug interacting with some specific code or tag in the book being displayed, but I wouldn't completely rule out a hardware problem.

Anyone else seen this?
Final-freaking-ly!!! Someone *ELSE* is experiencing this problem! I've been having this problem - most often with my much older 64MB Cybook Gen3, but occasionally with the newer 512MB model.

I've found that it *most* often occurs when I get too fast in pressing keys. If I slow down and wait for the LED to stop glowing (as it does on a keypress), the problem disappears.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Yep..I thought is was me not pushing the button correctly. Here it happens when I move 'back' one page. It goes back and immediately skips to the next page. So I am reading page 234, want to go back to 233 and I end up at 235. Sometimes I have to try 2 or 3 times
Yes, I also see it occasionally, also only when attempting to move backwards, never forward. It started a few firmware revisions back, and has remained. I'm on a 64MB model w/ 796.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I've found that it *most* often occurs when I get too fast in pressing keys. If I slow down and wait for the LED to stop glowing (as it does on a keypress), the problem disappears.
I have the same experience. If it starts doing that, I wait a few seconds before trying again. Most of the time that's enough. It does seem to be build 796-specific; I don't remember it doing it with earlier versions.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I have the same experience. If it starts doing that, I wait a few seconds before trying again. Most of the time that's enough. It does seem to be build 796-specific; I don't remember it doing it with earlier versions.
I have this happen occasionally too. I agree it seems to be Build 796 specific as I don't remember having this issue with previous builds. I usually get out of the loop by hitting the down button instead of right if I'm trying to go forward a page, or up instead of left when trying to go back a page. It's a bit annoying, but at least once it's going, and staying, in the right direction it stays working for a long time.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I have this happen occasionally too. I agree it seems to be Build 796 specific as I don't remember having this issue with previous builds. I usually get out of the loop by hitting the down button instead of right if I'm trying to go forward a page, or up instead of left when trying to go back a page. It's a bit annoying, but at least once it's going, and staying, in the right direction it stays working for a long time.
Strange, how the same software can act so differently on different devices. With mine (a 512MB version from June) I never experienced anything like that..
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Strange, how the same software can act so differently on different devices. With mine (a 512MB version from June) I never experienced anything like that..
Mine is a 512MB system as well, it didn't display this behaviour until the last public firmware update. My husband's 64MB system running the same firmware seems fine.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe it's an issue with the button?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe it's an issue with the button?
That is what I thought initally. I can imagine key bounce so you will skip a couple of pages, I can imagine not reacting buttons.

But exactely the same 'weird' behaviour whith the button for more than one person? Going forwards in stead of backwards?

I know Bookeen changed something in the detection of keypresses a while ago. This was because some people were complaining there was no reaction at all when they pushed a button. I never had that issue. Perhaps the detection algoritme is so sensitive now that it incorrectly reacts on a 'bouncing' key. It is probably dependend on the way you press the button. That is bound to be different for everybody

That would explain that some people had the problem with the early software and some people the new problem with the new software.

Last edited by Ortep; 12-11-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
melw
melw began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
This happens to me as well. I press the back page button and the page loads and the jumps up to the page I just came from. Only happens to me when I go back.
Mel W.
melw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I agree it seems to be Build 796 specific...)
I get the same thing occasionally (jumping backwards) - 512Mb on build 681, so pretty sure it's not '796-specific'

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote