Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #46
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
The question I have is why should the publisher expect to need to recover the costs immediately? Trying to do say may as well shoot themselves in the foot as it works to restricts the number of sales.
I don't think the issue is one of recovering costs immediately but rather of recovering them within a reasonable time frame. To do so means that the number of users must increase and that the users be willing to pay for content. What is a reasonable time differs among publishers based on a publisher's size, market, type of product, and other factors.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that people who are looking at buying a reader are partly doing so in order to evenually save money. They expect lower eBook prices to eventually save money. But with some eBooks so expensive, it means that when some people look at readrs and also see how high the prices for eBooks are, they don't purchase a reader when they otherwise would.

Some publishers are pricing themselves right out of the picture.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is their goal, isn't it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #49
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The problem is that people who are looking at buying a reader are partly doing so in order to evenually save money.
Actually... I don't read e-books because I hope to save money. I read them because they do not require environmentally-irresponsible printing, they are easily stored and transported, and they allow me to free up more of my decreasing shelf space. Sure, saving money is nice... but sometimes, being environmentally conscious and practical is more important than saving money.

Just sayin'.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #50
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
The problem is that people who are looking at buying a reader are partly doing so in order to evenually save money. They expect lower eBook prices to eventually save money. But with some eBooks so expensive, it means that when some people look at readrs and also see how high the prices for eBooks are, they don't purchase a reader when they otherwise would.

I don't see why this is an issue for publishers though. Assuming someone who chooses not to buy a reader continues to buy print books (and why wouldn't they?) they still make money. The fact that a reader wasn't purchased doesn't effect them so much.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Actually... I don't read e-books because I hope to save money. I read them because they do not require environmentally-irresponsible printing, they are easily stored and transported, and they allow me to free up more of my decreasing shelf space.
I agree. I have always said I am happy to pay the MMP price for an ebook. But, many times the prices are higher than MMP which is just wrong.

I do expect price to go down as the market grows. Just like anything does. Remember when you had to pay like $80+ to by a movie on a VHS tape?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Storage space is my primary motive for buying eBooks too, not price. I'd be happy to pay the same price for an eBook as for a paperback. Fortuntely, virtually all the eBooks I buy are considerably cheaper than the UK price of paperbacks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I bought my reader because I like the idea of being able to carry lots of books with me in on small lightweight device. Also the fact that the prices SHOULD be lower was another draw. I wasn't think of environmental issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #54
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think when readers hit $99 people may be buying them to save money but as long as they're still at a premium price, saving money on ebooks won't be the first priority for most people. I think a lot of us feel like the publishers are trying to take advantage of us when they charge more than the paperback price, though. If I really wanted the book, I'd pay it but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #55
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I bought my reader thinking the ebooks I bought would be more affordable and that's where I'd save my money. Also, I think electronics and electronic waste has it's own environmental hazards. Though there is no doubt creating and transporting paper books does cause harm to the environment.

Also, I think books that have been out for over a decade should not cost 30 dollars at mobipocket. It's the reason I go to the darknet for many books. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount but not 30 dollars for a book that's been out since 1996 and is in paperback.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #56
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Also, I think books that have been out for over a decade should not cost 30 dollars at mobipocket. It's the reason I go to the darknet for many books. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount but not 30 dollars for a book that's been out since 1996 and is in paperback.
Mobipocket.com has an agreement with bookstores that sell .mobi books that they will not undercut. That's why the prices there are so insanely high. There are other book sellers like Fictionwise.com or BooksOnBoard.com that sell for much less.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As it is with everything else e-book, the contracts and agreements between publishers, authors and booksellers are often based on old or out-of-date information and impressions about the e-book market. Hopefully many of those attitudes will change as the market matures, and those agreements will be modified accordingly.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #58
xportz
xportz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I believe I've found one of the most egregious pricing discrepancies in the eBook market:
The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition
Paperback: $8.99
Kindle: $2.95
eReader/Fictionwise: $45.00!!!
That's right. Amazon Kindle is selling the electronic version of Stephen King's "The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition" for just $2.95, while the print/paperback version is currently at $8.99.

Meanwhile, eReader/FictionWise just jacked the price of this ebook up to $45.00! That's 5 times the price of the paperback, and over 15 times the price of the Kindle version. How on Earth can they justify charging a 500% eBook tax on this, and other older Stephen King novels? Interestingly enough, I purchased "The Stand" from eReader in September for just $17.95.

I don't know what Doubleday is thinking, and I'm beginning to suspect they must be "in bed" with Amazon as far as eBook pricing goes, putting Kindle competitors' prices through the roof, and dropping Kindle's to bargain levels. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. Any other theories?

Last edited by xportz; 12-10-2008 at 03:28 PM.
xportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #59
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by xportz View Post
Any other theories?
  1. Innocent mistake (someone hit a wrong key)
  2. Ineptitude
  3. Sabotage

Take your pick.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #60
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshW View Post
I don't see why this is an issue for publishers though. Assuming someone who chooses not to buy a reader continues to buy print books (and why wouldn't they?) they still make money. The fact that a reader wasn't purchased doesn't effect them so much.
It might affect them more than you think. Book sales are down, people are worried. I think most reasonable publishers would rather have an ebook sale than lose a treebook sale because budgets are tight. I just don't think most of them are thinking clearly yet about how to promote ebooks profitably.

Baen has figured out that a lot of sales at a low price are better than a few sales at a high price. A senior editor there told me recently that they did quite well with ebook sales on some Sharon Lee/Steve Miller titles. The only regret was that they didn't buy the treebook rights, too, but let them go to another house.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote