Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Awesome! I don't know why Adobe thought it was a good idea to remove Digital Editions support from Acrobat 8 (and presumably 9) and switch over to a horrible flash-based reader.

Time for me to purchase that puppy too.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #17
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
So you can read protected adobe books on your PC...but still not on your Kindle, right?
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, I'm using Copistar to do the following:
  1. Create a new unprotected high-resolution PDF file (just images of the text)
  2. Export that PDF file's pages to lossless images (like PNG files)
  3. Import those images into OmniPage Pro 16 (any OCR program should work, but I've found OmniPage to be pretty nice)
  4. OCR the images back into text (that's why I specified "high-resolution" in step 1)
  5. Save the file as a Word 2003 document or an HTML file or whatever
  6. Convert file to Mobipocket using Mobipocket Creator (or to LRF using Calibre) to read on cell phone or Sony Reader

And I believe the Kindle will read Mobipocket files. So in that case, you could eventually read the Adobe e-book on the Kindle. But it's a rather involved process.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I found the same thing while browsing my Library here in Phoenix. Mobipocket books are scarce. Wonder why?

I really, really dislike PDF.
My library has the same problem.
I downloaded 'The Book of Counted Sorrows' by Dean Koontz. It has an ebx.etd extension (what on earth!!!)
Then tried using Mobipocket Creator. Needless to say, no joy.
How I wish that we had some sort of magic like the mobidedrm.py
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I downloaded 'The Book of Counted Sorrows' by Dean Koontz. It has an ebx.etd extension (what on earth!!!)
ETD is the file that has to be opened by either Acrobat Reader 7 or the digital editions standalone program. THAT downloads the book to the computer. The ETD file is not the book, it's a transfer protocol.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #21
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
ETD is the file that has to be opened by either Acrobat Reader 7 or the digital editions standalone program. THAT downloads the book to the computer. The ETD file is not the book, it's a transfer protocol.
Ok. Now I am truly lost.
What are the steps which I need to do to be able to change the files to .prc,
which I can then convert for my Kindle.
I used to read on an iPaq, but even with Laser surgery on both eyes, it's still a strain, and therefore the Kindle.
Help.(pretty please).
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #22
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Ok. Now I am truly lost.
What are the steps which I need to do to be able to change the files to .prc,
which I can then convert for my Kindle.
I used to read on an iPaq, but even with Laser surgery on both eyes, it's still a strain, and therefore the Kindle.
Help.(pretty please).
Sorry, I cannot tell you how to liberate PDFs that you haven't purchased.

To read them on the PC, do the following:

1. Click on the book download link. It downloads the ETD file.
2. Open the ETD file with Acrobat Reader 7 or the standalone digital edition viewer.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What are the steps which I need to do to be able to change the files to .prc
The copistar program uses what are essentially images of the screen, to build a "scan" of the ebook. In post #18 (above) chorpler lays out one approach to get this to text and then to MOBI. As you can see it is complicated, and OCR isn't perfect (although these will be very good scans).

This probably only makes sense for ebooks you already own, or that are only available as Secure Adobe PDF ebooks, since otherwise buying LIT or MOBI or eReader versions provides a much simpler path to a DRM-free MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
thanks for the info....its an option but doesn't seem to be worth the money I'd save from buying over borrowing from the public library. Besides, I'm really lazy
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #25
chorpler
Zealot

Quote:
EBX.ETD is an ebook file that points Acrobat Reader 7.0 or Digital Editions to an Internet address to download a PDF file that has been protected by Adobe's DRM, which appears to be some form of 128-bit encryption scheme.

That PDF file can then be saved as a standalone PDF using the "Save a copy" function of Acrobat 7.0, but it's still an encrypted PDF file that can only be viewed on a computer that has been "activated" by the purchaser or borrower of the Adobe ebook.

Presumably somebody is working on a way to break the Adobe DRM, but it'll be illegal to use that software under the DMCA in the United States and probably similar laws in other countries, even if you're only using it for legitimate format-shifting purposes, to read books you already own (or are otherwise allowed to read, for example, because you checked it out from your library and have the right to read it for the next three weeks, or whatever) on a reader that doesn't support DRM-protected PDF.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But was it a good idea for Adobe to make Acrobat Reader 8.0 not view encrypted PDF and then have 7.0 say there's an update without telling anyone that 8.0 doesn't view encrypted PDF so all those people who upgraded then lost the ability to view their legally purchased content. So anytime DRM can be broken, that's a blow for comanies who really don't care about customers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #27
chorpler
Zealot

Oh, I definitely agree; the fact that they took the Digital Editions functionality out of Acrobat 8.0 (and 9.0, I presume) so they could create a separate, off-the-charts-horrible Flash-based viewer makes them pure evil, and I'll personally cheer when Adobe's DRM is broken (hopefully soon; does anybody know if there's been any progress at all?). But it'll still be illegal, even when it's only used for format-shifting of legally-owned content. Which, to my mind, just shows the absurdity of those provisions in the DMCA, but what can you do?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #28
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Sorry, I cannot tell you how to liberate PDFs that you haven't purchased.

To read them on the PC, do the following:

1. Click on the book download link. It downloads the ETD file.
2. Open the ETD file with Acrobat Reader 7 or the standalone digital edition viewer.

Hmmm.....and if I buy a book in PDF would I be able to liberate it to read on the Kindle?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Hmmm.....and if I buy a book in PDF would I be able to liberate it to read on the Kindle?
Not if it is a secure PDF, no.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #30
GatorDeb
Evangelist

BOb, that's what this whole thread is about, liberating PDF books you buy, and yes you can using copistar

Now copistar liberates it into images, not text. All you need is a good OCR program to convert it to text and then PRC.

More trouble than it's worth. But it IS doable.