Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Words: Jay or Nay Friday

Jay: feature creep. Should be self explanatory with this crowd.

Nay: czar. This week I saw in some paper a bit about Google's 'click fraud czar'. This word needs to be deleted urgently.

(Please note: I like the *phrase* feature creep, not necessarily the concept)
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
this thread was in the "similar threads" list on one of the [US] threads o' the day. it's old, i know, but today is friday after all (well, technically for me it's been saturday for several hours already), and i like it.

i have to go to bed 3 hours ago so i will leave you all to blackball and incense words as you see fit, and i'll be back to check on you in the morning. (well, later in the morning. or more like early afternoon probably).

*nota : for the hypothetical one person confused by random associations of "silent bob", the original poster being from the netherlands, i beleive "jay" is pronounced "yay" and means the opposite of nay.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh now really, you had *hours*, and no-one could come up with anything ??? meta-threads about the words they contain are all the rage this week !

well i'll try to start you off... let's see...

jay : squirrel. Should be self explanatory with this crowd. ()

nay : "cheesy" i read this somewhere recently and it grated (ar ar ar !!) on my nerves. its principal merit seems to be that it actually embodies an example of its definition.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Ja: avatamare.

Nein: the phrase "at the end of the day", meaning "finally" or, "when all is said and done". It has spread like kudzu among business people and professional "presenters" worldwide. The book "The Raw Shark Texts" even claims that it is an intentional word virus released with mysterious intent. Stop saying it.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

i knew i could count on you... (cinq, six, sept...)
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
jay: "henceforth", or, if that sounds too stuffy for you, "in the future" or even "from now on".

nyet: "going forward", a blithering idiot who is either a business executive or a business consultant is responsible for this idiocy, I'm certain. You can add to this a never-ending list of similar business-gibberish which I don't wish to mention. Sorry, I've had up to HERE with this kind of new-speak by these fools.

Sorry. Coming down now. Watch out below!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

bravo.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Jay: 'shingle' for the pebbles on the beach - it's just so perfectly onomatopoeic; it's a one-word poem

Nay: 'literally' when it is misused.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
"at the end of the day"
Now you've got me humming the song from Les Miz.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There was a period during which all British newsreaders used to say "at this moment in time", when they actually meant "now". Used to drive me up the wall . Luckily it seems to have fallen out of fashion again at this moment in time .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Jay: Ramekin. This is a beautiful, lovely, magic, superstellar word which slides around the mouth like a cool panacotta and should be used by all the peoples of the world to describe an equally beautiful, lovely, magic or superstellar moment (as in "Oh, look, falling star...how extraordinarily ramekin). Also, crème brûlée (I rest my case).

Nay: "Everyone's talking about..." by newsreaders. I'm not talking about it. If I am not talking about it, everyone is not talking about it. If you say it, you are an idiot and if you say it again I will track you down and give you a pepper-spray enema.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jay: emotifaction
Nay: verbing of nouns

examples: Let's spa today. Bottom-line this for me. Let's breakfast at Hank's. Action that for later and move on. Pencil me in.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

"action that" ?? da : nyet.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Yes, meaning "we will develop a plan for handling that issue". I have someone I do business with regularly who always uses "Action" as a verb, to which I always reply "Action this", but he doesn't get the point, perhaps because he cannot see the accompanying descriptive gesture. (I work at home, what used to be called "telecommuting".)
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Yes, meaning "we will develop a plan for handling that issue". I have someone I do business with regularly who always uses "Action" as a verb, to which I always reply "Action this", but he doesn't get the point, perhaps because he cannot see the accompanying descriptive gesture. (I work at home, what used to be called "telecommuting".)
"action THIS" pfff hehehe !

Tags
unutterable silliness