Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #46
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
At our library you better believe they care who is using the card they issued to you. You have to bring in a photo ID and proof of your address to get your card. They need to know who has their books, who to bill for late fees if you don't return a book (physical books from the library that is). The policy on ebooks is no different. Only the person who was issued the card is allowed to use it and borrow any books with it.

Of course there is probably no way they could enforce it for ebooks, unless both of you borrow a book with IPs across country. But I'm going to guess that they probably don't check IPs to even notice that.

But I'm pretty certain that all libraries who issue cards have the same policy about not letting others use it.

Not true at my library. My library makes certain those who get a card have a valid "in city" address where they can bill for late or damaged books, but the rules are thus: ANYONE you give the physical card to does NOT have to show ID and has permission to use it. IF you lose it, you need to let us know because we will assume ANYONE who shows up with your card has your permission to use it.

We only ask for ID (I worked there) for renewal and for initial card setting up stuff. I can use my husband's card (and I do if I need more audio books than the 2 allowed). He can walk in with mine. Anyone who has it, can use it.

This policy allows children to come in and use their parents' card without necessitating the parent standing in line with them, etc. It's a very popular feature.

As for ebooks, if I gave someone my login info the library would have no way to validate that it was me versus Tiny Tim.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
... the library would have no way to validate that it was me versus Tiny Tim.
Oh Thanks GOODNESS! Tiny Tim lives!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #48
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't pay taxes, but I do pay an annual fee (I'm from out of state). I figured the fee covers the cost. Out of state members probably don't use many other services like DVDs, pbooks, computers, CDs, ...

I'm against residents getting put to the front of the line.
Ebooks are cheaper per circulation (no buildings to maintain, lower staff costs etc. ) than paper but still probably close to a dollar every time they are borrowed.

$50 seems pretty nominal for someone who reads several books a week or even every month. People who don't read much probably wouldn't pay. I don't think the library is recovering 1/2 the cost for most out of state users with $50.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #49
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I always wonder about folks that actually live in the area with these libraries and pay the taxes, how do they feel about so many out of state folks adding to the wait lists on the books.
As a suburbanite working in the city, I pay the 3.495% wage tax and feel no need to be in front of the line. I'm not in any rush to read a particular book and thus would rather have a big selection than a short wait.

If local taxpayers were allowed to queue-jump, fewer people would pay the $50 fee, and there would be fewer available titles.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #50
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The question, off course is, how much does those $50 fees contribute to the library's budget? If a 1,000 out of staters purchase the card I suppose they can keep one more librarian on staff, but will that leave enough to buy e-books? Or should all the $50 contributions go to buying e-books?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #51
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't think the library is recovering 1/2 the cost for most out of state users with $50.
I doubt they are recovering a reasonable share of fixed costs, such as executive management. And they may not be recovering costs of Random House eBooks purchased under a perpetual license. But the out of state patrons only have to cover marginal costs in order to increase the number of eBooks the library can afford to buy, or help the library in other ways.

The biggest marginal cost attributable to out of state cards could stem from the Harper-Collins borrowing limit. Every 26 circulations of a Harper-Collins title, the library needs to buy a new Overdrive license, so there is a real cost of a dollar or two for each borrowing. If that cost, plus the cost of administering the out of area program, comes to less than $50, I think patient Philadelphians come out ahead.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #52
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The question, off course is, how much does those $50 fees contribute to the library's budget? If a 1,000 out of staters purchase the card I suppose they can keep one more librarian on staff, but will that leave enough to buy e-books? Or should all the $50 contributions go to buying e-books?
In the case of my library, when an out of city person "bought" a card (20 dollars for 6 months) NONE of the contributions went to the library. Even fines go directly into a "general" city fund. The only thing that goes directly to our library bottom line is grants or donations. Other monies go to a city general fund and then the library has to solicit city council for budget needs.

So you can't assume that those funds are going to the library at all. They may or may not be. They could be going to a county, city or state fund.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't pay taxes, but I do pay an annual fee (I'm from out of state). I figured the fee covers the cost. Out of state members probably don't use many other services like DVDs, pbooks, computers, CDs, ...

I'm against residents getting put to the front of the line.
Agreed

Libraries generally charge non-residents the same amount residents pay in taxes.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh Thanks GOODNESS! Tiny Tim lives!

LOL

...and yes, kennyc, there is a Santa Claus
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #55
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
In the case of my library, when an out of city person "bought" a card (20 dollars for 6 months) NONE of the contributions went to the library. Even fines go directly into a "general" city fund. The only thing that goes directly to our library bottom line is grants or donations. Other monies go to a city general fund and then the library has to solicit city council for budget needs.

So you can't assume that those funds are going to the library at all. They may or may not be. They could be going to a county, city or state fund.
Hah, if I was a tax paying citizen and had to wait in line for non-tax payers I guess I would start to look into how I could lessen my tax burden.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hah, if I was a tax paying citizen and had to wait in line for non-tax payers I guess I would start to look into how I could lessen my tax burden.
Tea drinker?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #57
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
How could you tell if the person ahead paid taxes?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #58
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

Helen
Prophecy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Tea drinker?
Hardly in Sweden, remember we're a bunch of pinkos.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #60
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:

Helen
True, I couldn't unless I researched it. But if the norm was four or five waiting for a book, and it suddenly turns into 24 I sure would like to know what has changed.