Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm allowed 5 but only ever had 2 out at a time. We also only allowed 5 holds. Considering the shockingly long wait times I'm beginning to believe no one buys ebooks anymore. This may contribute to the "flattening" of ebook sales.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I'm allowed 5 but only ever had 2 out at a time. We also only allowed 5 holds. Considering the shockingly long wait times I'm beginning to believe no one buys ebooks anymore. This may contribute to the "flattening" of ebook sales.
Yep; why buy when you can borrow?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep; why buy when you can borrow?
Especially when you're only buying a "liscense".
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #34
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That's livable for me, 10 was a luxury since my local library only allows 6 checkouts and 3 holds (the 3 holds I think is just horrid since we can have wait lists with 400 people before you).

On another note about the Free Library of Philadelphia, does anyone know if they still allow free access for out-of-state seniors? I can no longer find any reference to it on their site.
That library's blog post of July 15, 2013 says, "No": see last sentence of last paragraph, below.

Free Library Updates Library Card and Fine Policies

By Michelle S. Subscribe to the author's RSS feed Mon, July 15, 2013

Beginning on Tuesday, July 16, the Free Library will be implementing a variety of changes to its cardholder and fine policies. Children under 12 years old will no longer be charged late fees for overdue materials—though they will still be responsible for returning all items before checking out more. Children will also be able to check out a total of 20 items and renew their materials up to 10 times, an increase over the previous limit of three renewals. In addition to these improvements for young library-goers, the Free Library is standardizing its late fees on all adult and teen materials to 25 cents per item, per day. Adult and teen readers will also be able to enjoy the increased renewal rate of 10 times per item.

In addition, several other library card changes will also go into effect on Tuesday. All Pennsylvania residents will now be able to obtain a library card free of charge, and the fee for an out-of-state card will increase from $35 to $50. Also, veterans, members of the military, and senior citizens who do not otherwise qualify for a free card will no longer be eligible for one.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
In addition, several other library card changes will also go into effect on Tuesday. All Pennsylvania residents will now be able to obtain a library card free of charge, and the fee for an out-of-state card will increase from $35 to $50. Also, veterans, members of the military, and senior citizens who do not otherwise qualify for a free card will no longer be eligible for one.
That stinks. I'm not in any of those affected groups, but it's pretty drastic to ask those people to go from paying nothing to paying $50--seems like if they really need to charge them, they should at least give them a discount.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That stinks. I'm not in any of those affected groups, but it's pretty drastic to ask those people to go from paying nothing to paying $50--seems like if they really need to charge them, they should at least give them a discount.
Why does it stink? The library is likely supported primarily by local taxes, why should out of state people get free access?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why does it stink? The library is likely supported primarily by local taxes, why should out of state people get free access?
I entirely agree. I really don't see why anyone who isn't paying for the library through their taxes should get free access to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I think those are reasonable changes. I have a out of state card still with them and fully expect to pay for getting a card in a place I don't live and pay no taxes.

My local library just doesn't have much in the genres I like to read so I appreciate that some libraries even offer out of state cards in the first place.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #39
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I think those are reasonable changes. I have a out of state card still with them and fully expect to pay for getting a card in a place I don't live and pay no taxes.
As a Philadelphia resident (and taxpayer), I'm glad to see all these thoughtful posts. The FLP is a great resource for this city, but has been hard hit by budget cuts the last five or so years. Don't even get me started on our public schools...
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #40
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
As a Philadelphia resident (and taxpayer), I'm glad to see all these thoughtful posts. The FLP is a great resource for this city, but has been hard hit by budget cuts the last five or so years. Don't even get me started on our public schools...
I always wonder about folks that actually live in the area with these libraries and pay the taxes, how do they feel about so many out of state folks adding to the wait lists on the books. I guess it depends on how much of a user those out of state people are.
I do know that its expensive for libraries to buy ebooks so the $50 dollar fee/yr doesn't really go that far.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I always wonder about folks that actually live in the area with these libraries and pay the taxes, how do they feel about so many out of state folks adding to the wait lists on the books.
My guess is that the vast majority of them probably don't know. While it does increase waitlists, it also increases the income of those libraries, allowing them to purchase more ebooks, and more copies of popular ebooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #42
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The thing is that they WERE getting free access and now it's being taken away. Whoever decides such things thought they were worthy of special treatment before; why not continue to give them special treatment by giving them a discount now? Especially the active military.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
Shouldn't Philadelphia residents also go to the front of the line when there is a waiting list? I don't live in Philly but if I did, I'd be pretty mad if I was 50th on a waiting list and 48 of those didn't pay the taxes that supports the library.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #44
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Shouldn't Philadelphia residents also go to the front of the line when there is a waiting list? I don't live in Philly but if I did, I'd be pretty mad if I was 50th on a waiting list and 48 of those didn't pay the taxes that supports the library.
I don't disagree that Philly residents should take precedence, but while non-residents may not pay the taxes, they do pay for the card yearly. It would be interesting to know how much of the library's operating income comes from non-residents.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I don't pay taxes, but I do pay an annual fee (I'm from out of state). I figured the fee covers the cost. Out of state members probably don't use many other services like DVDs, pbooks, computers, CDs, ...

I'm against residents getting put to the front of the line.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote