Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
hihellohello
hihellohello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Own a macbook, should I buy an Iphone 5 or GS3

I am letting go of my HTC. I have a macbook and I am at a crossroads in an attempt to choose between Iphone 5 or Samsung galaxy S3. What do you guys think? Does owning a macbook increase the pros for buying an iphone 5?
hihellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
How new and what OS is running on your MacBook? I ask because most of the advantage of staying within the Apple ecosystem and using the cloud to sync your calendar, notes, music, files, etc. requires newish devices.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I had a similar decision to make. In the end, after much research, I bought the iPhone 5 and find it a big improvement on the 4S I had previously, far lighter and faster data transfer even though I am using the same provider/contract (not LTE/4G) 12-16 MBPS opposed to 4-6 MBPS.

I am very happy with my decision which was finally made after being unable to find a reliable way to synchronise my iCal and Address Book with the GS3 without using any form of "cloud". I prefer using USB as I have more control over what gets synced and what doesn't. There appeared to be several software options available to sync between android and OSX, but when I started looking closely at them, I found they were totally unreliable. As I use my phone for all my work appointments and then use the data on my iMac for my tax return, I really need a reliable method of synchronising between the iMac and my phone.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new phone, whichever you choose.

One question though ... is this the best place to ask the question, an ereader forum?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihellohello View Post
I am letting go of my HTC. I have a macbook and I am at a crossroads in an attempt to choose between Iphone 5 or Samsung galaxy S3. What do you guys think? Does owning a macbook increase the pros for buying an iphone 5?
The compatibility between OSX and iOS is quite nice. Whether it's with Apple, Google or Microsoft, running on a single ecosystem will make your life easier. More particularly, Apple is putting a lot of efforts into making a single ecosystem for its customers.

Here are a few concrete examples :
  • iCloud : Allows you to wirelessly and almost seamlessly sync your data between OSX and iOS with applications that support it. Examples of data : contacts, photos, calendar events, browsing data... Of course, to take advantage of this you need to make sure that you OSX and iOS equivalent applications are compatible together with iCloud, or you can use the default Apple-provided applications (or third-party applications that work on top of Apple's applications).
  • iTunes : You can grab your content (music, videos, TV shows, apps, even books...) from the same store. iTunes is built into both OSX and iOS, so you can enjoy music and movies on your iPhone even if you bought/rented them on your Mac.
  • AirPlay : Allows you to wirelessly stream music, movies, and even some apps to either an Apple TV or any AirPlay-enabled audio system. It's really easy and often requires no setup at all. Just make it join your Wi-Fi network, then control it from anywhere in your house. I use this technology everyday to play music all around my house.

These of course are only examples and are just scratching the surface. As I said, having a single ecosystem will make your life easier. It doesn't mean that you can't make these things work if you have an Android-smartphone, it's just harder. I think the priority is to have a device that you love. I have a Macbook Pro and an iPhone 5, but I chose them because I like them more then what competitors have to offer, even separately. Compatibility is just a really nice extra, in my opinion.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
hihellohello

I own the latest macbook air 11 inches, I also have a desktop but I barely use so it isn't important. The iphone doesn't have widgets and picture in picture options. i like how the iphone look but the OS is huge turn off.
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
hihellohello

I am new to forums and I just realized that this forum was an ereader forum, thank you for the help though.

Tags
galaxy s3, iphone 5