Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #196
islandgirl
islandgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Hmmmmm.....Downloaded the update today and now my screen says: "Unfortunately, Tapestries has stopped."....which suggests it should be working. Anyone know how I can get it back?
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #197
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Tapestries is very fragile after the update. Plenty of us are getting in a situation where it's just flashing (a loading/crashing cycle). Best you can do is open Google Play (if you have trouble, either go to the lock screen and swipe up or long press on the Home button to run Google now and go to Play through the card there that should be warning you that Google Search wants to update) and download an alternative launcher (GO Launcher EX, Nova, etc.) to use until Kobo gets an update out to fix the problems.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #198
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
Alan...on your Arc download Overdrive Media console...free from google play apps. You can download any library book in epub format directly to Overdrive and read it in Overdrive on your Arc. Hope this helps.
Many thanks Islandgirl. Sadly it seems my local library does not have a "store" which can be accessed using Overdrive? My library service (Somerset County Council) uses an outfit called "Libraries West" to provide online services, and they have a separate website for ebooks, but the search in Overdrive is unable to find anything.

What I have done, however is to rediscover how I did it last time, which is to download to my pc using Adobe Digital Editions, then to locate the files (ePubs) on my local disc, and copy them across to the Arc using Windows Explorer. The Aldiko can see and open them (but Kobo can't).
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #199
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Hello,

regarding the new Android version (Jelly Bean), could you (Kobo devs) please make a change so that the time is (optionnaly or not) still displayed in the lower bar (right corner), even in smaller size than it was displayed in ICS ? With a lot of apps, the upper bar is masked and there is no way to see the time except returning to the home page then returning to the app ! White color would be more "discrete"...

Thanks for your understanding !

Regards from France.

Last edited by Dangze; 03-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #200
Buron
Buron began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, Web and Android ePub3 reader
Hi,
I am developing interactive publications in HTML5/ePub3 that work in a Web browser or iBooks. Does anyone know if the Kobo Arc supports ePub3 with javascript as iBooks does (or better).
Thanks
Buron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #201
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buron View Post
Hi,
I am developing interactive publications in HTML5/ePub3 that work in a Web browser or iBooks. Does anyone know if the Kobo Arc supports ePub3 with javascript as iBooks does (or better).
Thanks
That is all app-specific, not device-specific. You'll need to check the browsers, ebook reading apps, etc...
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #202
breid51
breid51 began at the beginning.

Alan - below are the instructions from my local library on how to download directly to an Android device using Aldiko, it works for me!

In order to successfully download to your Android device you must have the Aldiko app installed. Once installed and configured with your Adobe ID you can start to download your titles by browsing this site from your device.

Add us to Aldiko's "My Catalogs"
You can add us as a short cut within Aldiko. Doing this will allow Aldiko to automatically handle all downloads from this site. To add us to your Aldiko App, open Aldiko and follow the guidelines below.
From the main screen choose "Store", then tap the menu button (top right of screen) and choose "My Catalogs". To add a new catalog tap the "+" button. Enter a title i.e. Library eBooks along with our address http://westlothian.libraryebooks.co.uk in the URL field. (N.B : The http:// is required to precede the our address). Our eBook service is now available in "My catalogs".

As I say this works for me and I'm hoping your local library service uses the same system. Good Luck!
breid51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #203
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
[QUOTE=Dangze;2461618]Hello,

regarding the new Android version (Jelly Bean), could you (Kobo devs) please make a change so that the time is (optionnaly or not) still displayed

Yes, I would also like to see the time. This seems like a no- brainier to me and I am surprised no one on the dev team noticed this annoying loss of functionality.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #204
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Edit - never mind.......

Last edited by mr_nihilism; 03-23-2013 at 07:21 PM.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #205
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

[QUOTE=ppowell002;2461912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
Hello,

regarding the new Android version (Jelly Bean), could you (Kobo devs) please make a change so that the time is (optionnaly or not) still displayed

Yes, I would also like to see the time. This seems like a no- brainier to me and I am surprised no one on the dev team noticed this annoying loss of functionality.
Even Wifi level and battery level indicator are usefull to monitor !...
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #206
binarymelon
binarymelon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Could the multiple user feature of Jelly Bean be enabled?
binarymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #207
helsbels81
helsbels81 began at the beginning.

I've just done the system update on my kobo arc and very disappointed to find the clock and power symbol has now moved to the top of the screen.

I liked being able to keep an eye on the time and battery levels when reading or using other apps.
And I'm sure other arc users found this useful.

I'm on the verge of wanting to do a factory reset just to bring it back but don't want to have to set it all up again.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE CKOCK TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE SCREEN! Or add the option for users to choose whether its visible or not.

Thanks!!!
helsbels81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #208
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsbels81 View Post
I've just done the system update on my kobo arc and very disappointed to find the clock and power symbol has now moved to the top of the screen.

I liked being able to keep an eye on the time and battery levels when reading or using other apps.
And I'm sure other arc users found this useful.

I'm on the verge of wanting to do a factory reset just to bring it back but don't want to have to set it all up again.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE CKOCK TO THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE SCREEN! Or add the option for users to choose whether its visible or not.

Thanks!!!
I already complained about this (see former posts here and in the "Jelly Bean has landed" thread), and received bad answer from Kobo guy. So don't expect any change in the next future. As far as factory reset is concerned, unfortunately it won't return to the old Android version, so don't waste your time with this.

Anyways, I found a way to display the upper bar when needed, installing this app :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...statusbar.free
which is working well...

Regards.

Last edited by Dangze; 03-31-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #209
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsbels81 View Post
Wouldn't help - it'd just update to Jelly Bean again before they let you do anything.

Quote:
Apparently it's beyond their ability to change one variable's value from "false" to "true" in one source file (as shown in the Jelly Bean thread) before running it through the compiler.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #210
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Apparently it's beyond their ability to change one variable's value from "false" to "true" in one source file (as shown in the Jelly Bean thread) before running it through the compiler.
Is this something that can be made in a custom Rom after rooting the device (if it can be rooted !...) ?...

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc