Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
"Copy to Libary (delete after copy)" - Placement Suggestion

I've put this in Library Management as it seems most logical, please move if more appropriate in Development or somewhere else.

I maintain a few libraries for different purposes. The main working library is on my local machine but I copy lot of books onto a networked library on a NAS to make them available to any machine in the house.

When I select a book to copy to "Calibre Network" the selection "Copy to library (delete after copy)" is directly below the "Copy to Library" line. On a number of occasions I've found myself on the point of deleting a book after copying because the mouse pointer has slipped down a few pixels.

To my mind it would make more sense to segregate the (delete after copy) selections in a separate section of the menu, e.g. lines 1-4 = Copy to library a/d, insert separator line, and lines 5-8 = Copy to libary a/d (delete after copy), rather than having the delete option right next to the copy option.

This would reduce the possibility of inadvertently deleting a book from my main, master library on copy.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont see what difference it makes. With your suggestion, if the mouse slips you end up creating an unwanted duplicate in another library, which means you will have to switch to that library and delete it. With the original scheme, your book gets moved instead of copied to the correct library, an error you can remedy by simply switching to that library and copying back, later. In either case you need to switch to another library, find the book and perform an action on it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The difference is that the original isn't deleted from my master library. If I notice I clicked the wrong line then I could fix it as you outline. If I don't notice then the original is gone from the master and if any point in the future I use the master to overwrite any of the subsidiary libraries, which I sometimes do with the network library, then the book is gone entirely.

I could live with a dupe in one of the subsidiary libraries a lot easier than I could with a deleted book from the master library. Plus, in the nature of things, it's easier to spot a dupe than a deletion.

Last edited by plib; 06-30-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid that isn't a compelling enough reason to force everyone to get used to a new menu layout, or to add an option to have two different menu layouts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Kovid - I was going to suggest that plib just assign a keyboard shortcut if they don't trust themselves with a mouse, but I see you don't have keyboard shortcuts enabled for the Copy to Library functions. If you added support for that it would be an alternative?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
plib
Guru

@kiwidude - That would be a possibility, though if the shortcuts were assigned by line they could have different effects. For example I usually copy from "Main" to "Network", but if I switch libraries that same first menu line could be from "Amazon freebies" to "Main" and the second line could be "Amazon freebies" to "Network", similarly with "Epub freebies". Still I suppose it would be fairly easy to figure out Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 etc. by context, and at least it would ensure that it wasn't performing any kind of deletion.

@kovid - I recognize that it's difficult to change an existing menu structure. I just think it's unfortunate that the current layout could make deletion errors more likely, particularly when doing some high volume/frequency copying.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
khonshu
khonshu began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Would it be possible/practical to confirm deletion before calibre really deletes the book? that means no menu layout change. Gives user a second chance to think on what it's gonna be done... Perfect if you could even switch it on/off (the confirmation) from preferences.

Khonshu
khonshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
plib
Guru

That's a good idea. It could be called the Calibre "Senate" preference. The preference for sober, second thought!

Edit: As I had just come close to, but hadn't actually, deleted a book this way I thought it might be a good idea to check what warnings, if any, existed about the deletion (something I probably should have done before posting!). It appears that the deletion does happen without warning or confirmation, whereas the "Remove Book" function does have a confirmation dialog. So all levity aside, yes - this is a good idea, and one that would get my vote for a bug fix/improvement.

Last edited by plib; 07-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Speaking of functionality... Can I get something clarified?

When you choose the "copy to library" function... does it overwrite the existing format and metadata in the target library?
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote