Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Best way to use multiple devices?

As you can tell by my recent posts I just recently started to use a Kindle Voyage. I still use my iPad and my iPhone occasionally to read whatever my active book is. Since my collection is mainly epubs I have been converting one book at a time and then emailing to all 3 devices so that they get the same copy and my page syncing will work. Is that the best way to do this? With Calibre is there an easier way to load the book on to all 3 devices to the Kindle app?
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think you can make it a little easier if you mail the file to one device and then download it from your library on the other two. I do that all the time. Syncing works fine. It's probably not a lot easier than mailing it to 3 devices but it should be a little easier.

If you get the books to the device via Calibre I doubt if syncing will work. I just use Calibre for conversions, not to store or transfer books, so I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if it did.

I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite and I read on my phone when I don't have one of those with me. Syncing works fine for me but more and more I'm finding I don't care about it. On the phone I prefer to read with Moon+ even though I have the Kindle app and my current book is always in it. With Moon+ I have to find my place and I've gotten so used to doing that that it's not really an issue. I make it a point to remember the chapter number and finding my place within a chapter is simple.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

If I use Calibre to send to the Kindle Voyage is there some way to then download to the iPhone/iPad?
Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
If I use Calibre to send to the Kindle Voyage is there some way to then download to the iPhone/iPad?
Don't do it that way. From Calibre send the book by email to Amazon's Cloud server. You'll then be able to download it from the Cloud on all your devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't do it that way. From Calibre send the book by email to Amazon's Cloud server. You'll then be able to download it from the Cloud on all your devices.
How does one do this? I have found that using Calibre to email a book (AZW3) to my devices directly failed due to format. It only accepted docs and I believe the only book format was MOBI.

Is this the "Send to Kindle" app that is on the amazon website?

Last edited by radamo; 09-13-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
How does one do this? I have found that using Calibre to email a book (AZW3) to my devices directly failed due to format. It only accepted docs and I believe the only book format was MOBI.
You'll need to create a "dual Mobi" in Calibre. You can then email this to Amazon, and it will download in the appropriate format for each of your devices (eg AWZ3/KF8 on your Voyage).
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
radamo
Addict

Quote:
You'll need to create a "dual Mobi" in Calibre. You can then email this to Amazon, and it will download in the appropriate format for each of your devices (eg AWZ3/KF8 on your Voyage).
Harry,
When you state email to amazon, do you mean to the "xxx@kindle.com" address specific to each device?
Thanks,
Rich

P.S. Sorry for all the questions but none of this is very intuitive to me.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You just need to send it to one (any one) of the email addresses associated with a Kindle. That will send it to the Cloud and download it to the specific device, and it will then be in the Cloud library on all your other devices.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
radamo
Addict

Quote:
You just need to send it to one (any one) of the email addresses associated with a Kindle. That will send it to the Cloud and download it to the specific device, and it will then be in the Cloud library on all your other devices.
Ah.... Now that makes much more sense than how I thought this worked.

Thank you!!!