Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
File formats?

When buying a book for the Cybook Gen3, what is the difference between a MobiPocket Book (MP) AND A MobiPocket Book (OD).

Can I purchase and read one of these formats in the MobiPocket Reader on my PC without purchaseing a Cybook Gen3?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Where did you see those acronyms?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Available file formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Where did you see those acronyms?
I saw them on BooksOnBoard.com as available formats for a book called "Double Cross" by James Patterson. I also notices and eReader format for that book as well.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
eReader is definitely not compatible with MobiPocket. I'm not sure what's MP an OD, could be different publishers... I expect they both should be compatible with both Cybook and PC reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reading the site, they appear to be different sources for MobiPocket books. The site allows you to register a different group of Mobi PIDs for "MP" and "OD" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I want to know is do one of these Mobipocket formats (OD or MP) give decent sized images?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
OD was mentioned in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=12951&page=8

"BooksOnBoard just turned up with some Mobipocket titles that can be downloaded right now. They're labeled Mobipocket OD. OD must be for Overdrive."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want to know is do one of these Mobipocket formats (OD or MP) give decent sized images?
Why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about images, Jon? In how many books are images of vital importance to the reading experience? In most cases, images come out acceptably in a Mobi book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
actually images are vital to the reading experience nowadays. consumers are used to web pages, and text-only pages compete against pages with graphics.

For me, I am working on a book of erotic short stories containing tasteful images. obviously the text is the most important part of the story, but the images provide an extra thing to focus on. The big advantage to ebooks over print books is the fact that illustrations don't add to the cost of the ebook.

that said, from what i read on mobileread these days, image support is improving, which is encouraging.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I was also wondering what "OD books" stands for on booksonboard.com, and I got this reply from their support:

Quote:
MP and OD are designations for different sources for the books. The formats themselves are identical and are the standard Mobipocket format, OD is distributed to us through a source in Cleveland, Ohio, and requires one process for PID set up. MP comes to us from Amazon/Mobipocket in Paris and requires a different process for PID setup. We went to the duplicate sourcing when Amazon's Mobipocket server went down for ten days in August, leaving our customers no way to download their Mobipocket ebooks. At that time, we exchanged many of them for OD books to keep our customers reading.
I guess there is not much of the difference which one you buy, until one of the servers in Cleveland or Paris goes down.
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote