Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
awitko
awitko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Google News Recipe?

Google News is such a powerful configurable news source. Has anyone developed a recipe to handle the standard and custom group rss feeds?

It would be very useful even if the input sources needed to be limited to certain publications to avoid any publications that are difficult to parse. Google does allow for controlling sources in the settings.

Any recipes, tips and tricks from those with experience in implementing this would be appreciated.

Thanks again for calibre!

Alex
awitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
awitko

[deleted]

Last edited by awitko; 10-31-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
awitko

Without having looked into the code to closely, I would think maybe the code could, for each article, branch to a section meant to parse that periodical. For example, if the url was from domain nytimes.com - use the relevant section of the recipe for ny times, if the url was wsj.com, use wall street journal, etc.

I would think we agreed on a selected a set of reliable and diverse sources, we would find many have existing recipes. The initial google news recipe might be configured to use the sources with existing recipes and the other well-behaved sources that might be compatible with a generic recipe. Someone who limited their google news (for at least the account used with calibre) to those identified sources could be confident it would work.

Over time the remaining sources could be addressed. I'm just two days into the learning curve here... Would appreciate feedback or suggestion or a google news recipe!

Last edited by awitko; 10-31-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
awitko

I thought I'd revisit google news source selection. 25 english language newspapers from around the world. Tried to get high circulation, but exclude lower quality tabloid papers. Also included some key sources from law including intellectual property, business, technology. 37 overall. Certainly could cut back on some of the newspapers and still be very diverse. I don't know enough about the international sources to make the choices so welcome input from those who do.

I would love to take advantage of google news to aggregate these feeds and filter them by relevance to take google news with me on my e-reader. I can't believe I am alone in this. I can see its not going to be trivial to implement but it also seems to have a lot of potential in terms of value to the calibre community. Are there problems I am not aware of?

Is there anyone here who can help with a google news recipe? Or an alternative way to accomplish something similar? I am willing to help but it will take me some time to get up to speed. Would certainly appreciate any ideas from people more familiar with calibre in getting started in terms of the architecture of a solution...

CNN International
The Wall Street Journal
The New York Times
Los Angeles Times
San Jose Mercury News
The Washington Post
BBC News
The Daily Telegraph
Financial Times
The Guardian
The Independent
The Times
The Munich Times
Times of India
The Hindu
Hindustan Times
Deccan Chronicle
The Economic Times
China Daily
The Economic Observer
Global Times
The Moscow Times
The Economist
US News & World Report
Business Insider

TechCrunch
All Things Digital
Technology Review
EE Times

The National Law Journal
Law.com
The American Lawyer
Legal Week

Patently-O
IPWatchdog
Intellectual Property Watch
IP Today

Last edited by awitko; 10-31-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
awitko

And it does seem that google news sometimes uses sources not in the list of preferred sources the user specifies in personalization. I would think that the recipe could possibly deal with this by ignoring news from domains that do not correspond to the sources for which it has a parsing routine implemented. If possible, it might go down the list of alternative sources for that news item until it finds one from a domain that's implemented in the recipe.

Alex

Last edited by awitko; 10-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Read the last few paragraphs of the sticky on Using News Recipes, and follow the link to the Calibre Blog on using auto_cleanup to handle multiple sites in a single recipe. It may help.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
awitko

Thanks starson I will look into those resources some more.