Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
enriquep
Connoisseur
enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-T3
Anyone else having this problem? Metadata related?

I am having a strange problem with my T1. I am not an expert, and don't know if it can be a T1 bug, or related to the way Calibre (that I'm using) manages metadata, or if I may be doing something wrong altogether... So probably this might not be the right forum to post it in the first place: Sorry if it isn't.

To start with I have noticed (... at least...) two strange issues: first, that some times the "Continue reading" entry in the the front menu doesn't update as it should. It insists in showing a given book, even if I start reading another one. And, second, that some books' "Info" page (the page that appears when tapping & holding on the book's thumbnail) is completely blank, showing no metadata at all, even if that book is an apparently well-formed epub with correct metadata.

On a second stage I have verified that both problems are linked: For some reason, those books that show no metadata in the info page are the ones not "admitted" in the "Continue reading" list.

I had a quick look to a sample of those "problem" books with Sigil, and they looked roughly OK. However, using Epub Metadata Editor all of them (the ones that dont display metadata, and don't appear al "Continue Reading") have someting in common, that the others don't: They (of course) have a "Title" field, but the corresponding "File as" field is empty. I filled that "File as" field in a few cases, resent them to the T1 and they behaved as expected.

Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited by enriquep; 10-30-2011 at 01:34 PM.
enriquep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This is not something I've experienced. How did you transfer the files to the T1? Did you use Calibre's Send-to-Device or did you drag-and-drop?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
enriquep
Connoisseur
enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.enriquep shines like a glazed doughnut.

I used Calibre's standard send to device. I am using Calibre's last version (currently 0.8.24).

I've reformatted my T1's memory and reloaded my ebooks more than once (until I, somehow, found what was going on), but nothing.

Also, "the ebooks with no file_as field" sometimes take ages to load their thumbnail cover (or don't do it at all, as it is happening right now) after disconnecting the T1 from the computer - just show the "refreshing arrows". If I want the thumbnails I will probably have to format the memories - or delete the databases and see if that is enough.

To be honest, I haven't checked in each and everyone of the malfunctioning ebooks that the cause is the existence of a blank "file as" field, but honestly think that my sampling (both in the positive and in the negative cases) has been wide enough -and, also, the fact that when adding it the book has started behaving correctly is quite relevant.

Last edited by enriquep; 10-30-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Sorry I can't be more help. I'm using Calibre v0.8.23.

If you don't get a more helpful response here suggest you try posting in the Calibre subforum to see if anyone can shed any light.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I have experienced the same problem. The reader seems to fix on one book not the one I am reading. I have noticed if I complete the book it seems to be OK, but if I jump to another book before finishing the unfinished book cover seems to stay as the standby image.
Just one of a number of bugs in the T1.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
enriquep
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
I have experienced the same problem. The reader seems to fix on one book not the one I am reading. I have noticed if I complete the book it seems to be OK, but if I jump to another book before finishing the unfinished book cover seems to stay as the standby image.
Could you check if my case is also your case - that those books you jump to, but don't appear as a stand by image and are not displayed in "Continue reading", show no details when you call their "info" page (i.e., the page appears empty)?

I have reformatted my internal & SD memories, and reloaded all my books. Now the covers show as expected, but I still have problems with the "continue reading" bug. Also, my theory that "books with an empty info page do not make it to the continue reading list" still applies - and there are A LOT of books with an empty info page (although most of my ePubs are excelently formed and adhere strictly to the standard).

Also, when some of those "thumbnails with no info" are opened... another book opens!

BTW, and being honest, I am not so sure now of what I said before about the empty "save_as" field as being responsible of all this mess.

I also have a PRS-505, loaded with exactly the same books, and nothing of this happens.

I have the feeling that some of these problems can (?) be Calibre related but I don't want to crosspost - and others might be just T1 bugs (?). In any case it is rendering the device unusable for me.

Update: After manually deleting both "books.db" files (for the main memory and for the SD card) and letting the T1 rebuild them everything seems to work as expected, and apparently all books (or "a random sample") seem to have recovered their "info" page and behave correctly... but this is a PITA.

Last edited by enriquep; 10-30-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
enriquep, I bought an sd card for my T1 today and installed it and transferred some books with Calibre version 0.8.24. Out of ten books I transferred only one would act properly. The others would appear in the book list but when I would open one of them the reader would open a different book from the main memory. After reading your update I also deleted both books.db files and now all the the books on the sd card work properly. Thanks for your insight. I can stop beating my head against the wall now.

Last edited by gunbad; 10-30-2011 at 09:02 PM.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post

Since the T1 does not do this if books are loaded through the Sony software, or by directly downloading books from the device, this sounds more like an issue with Calibre than with the device.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I loaded ALL my books (about 400) books, to the T1 with Calibre as soon as I got it. I believe the version was 0.8.22 at that time, I've recently upgraded to 0.8.24, but have only loaded a few books since then.

I have not seen this problem, and I've read at least a dozen books, and have switched back and forth between books several times.

It does sound like a problem with the database that Calibre loaded - in which case it is a Calibre problem and not a T1 problem.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
enriquep
Connoisseur

Yes, more and more I am starting to think that it mainly a SD card plus Calibre problem.

I open a follow-up thread in the Calibre devices subforum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155390

Thank you.

Last edited by enriquep; 10-31-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Information on follow-up thread

Tags
metadata, prs-t1