Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
jayhjay
jayhjay began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Moving library between computers

I have been following the instructions to move my library between my old pc and my new mac and I am stuck halfway through.

I was able to install the new version of calibre on the mac, as well as to copy the library from my old machine to the desktop of the mac (the apple folks moved it all for me so they just stuck it there). Now I can't figure out how to get the library off the desktop into the right folder so Calibre can pull in the books.

I can see the library folder that goes with the new version of Calibre under my user name on the computer. That appears to be where calibre is looking for books. I tried copying and pasting the files from the desktop library to the calibre library and the books appear there in the finder. But when I open Calibre itself, it hasn't pulled the books in.

Can someone help me figure out how to do this? Thanks!
jayhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhjay View Post
I have been following the instructions to move my library between my old pc and my new mac and I am stuck halfway through.

I was able to install the new version of calibre on the mac, as well as to copy the library from my old machine to the desktop of the mac (the apple folks moved it all for me so they just stuck it there). Now I can't figure out how to get the library off the desktop into the right folder so Calibre can pull in the books.

I can see the library folder that goes with the new version of Calibre under my user name on the computer. That appears to be where calibre is looking for books. I tried copying and pasting the files from the desktop library to the calibre library and the books appear there in the finder. But when I open Calibre itself, it hasn't pulled the books in.

Can someone help me figure out how to do this? Thanks!
Just move that folder to a similar location (rename it if needed to avoid a clash). Do not put it (contents) in the 'New Installation folder'.
Now open Calibre and use the arrow next to the Library icon to switch to the other folder.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
jayhjay

That isn't working. I created new Folder called "Mac Calibre Library" at the same level as the new one. Then I copied all the files from my desktop over to the new directory and told it to switch to the other folder. But it doesn't find anything. It only shows the original book that came when I downloaded calibre. I can see all the books in the library folder, and I can click and open a book, but they aren't importing. Same thing when I try to point to the folder on the desktop. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Do the folders you're trying to switch to contain a metadata.db file?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
That isn't working. I created new Folder called "Mac Calibre Library" at the same level as the new one. Then I copied all the files from my desktop over to the new directory and told it to switch to the other folder. But it doesn't find anything. It only shows the original book that came when I downloaded calibre. I can see all the books in the library folder, and I can click and open a book, but they aren't importing. Same thing when I try to point to the folder on the desktop. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
A calibre library consists of the books (in folders) and a file called metadata.db that has all the information about those books. At some point, you've moved the folders, but not the metadata.db file. If you haven't damaged or overwritten the valid metadata.db file, all you have to do is copy that one file back to the correct location at the root of the library and point calibre to it.

If it's gone/lost, you can rebuild the library with Library Maintenance Restore Database found with the black triangle to the left of the library book icon.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
jayhjay

Yeah, it looks like that worked! Thank you all so much. I was panicking.

Just as a follow up question, do I need to keep the original Calibre Library folder that installed now that i have the new one with the actual books in it? I didn't want to delete it if for some reason I should be retaining it or might need it in the future.

Thanks so much everyone!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Yeah, it looks like that worked! Thank you all so much. I was panicking.

Just as a follow up question, do I need to keep the original Calibre Library folder that installed now that i have the new one with the actual books in it? I didn't want to delete it if for some reason I should be retaining it or might need it in the future.

Thanks so much everyone!
You didn't say what worked - fixing the metadata.db or restoring the db. If you've been manually moving metadata.db files, run the Check Library routine adjacent to the Restore database option, then if you're sure you've got no errors and all your data/books have moved, you can delete the old library. Personally, I'm cautious about that and would hold off until I'd used the new library for a week or so.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
jayhjay

Sorry, I ended up restoring the db file. i think in all my copying and pasting back and forth, I had overwritten the right one and I wasn't sure which one was the correct one to use. So I just restored.

I won't delete my desktop version of the library (where the files first were moved from the PC) until I am sure all is well. I was wondering about the "Calibre Library" that calibre installs automatically when you load the software (presumably where the books would have gone if I was starting from scratch rather than using an existing library). I wasn't sure if I needed that folder (the only thing in it is the original book and db files Calibre comes with)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sorry, I ended up restoring the db file. i think in all my copying and pasting back and forth, I had overwritten the right one and I wasn't sure which one was the correct one to use. So I just restored.

I won't delete my desktop version of the library (where the files first were moved from the PC) until I am sure all is well. I was wondering about the "Calibre Library" that calibre installs automatically when you load the software (presumably where the books would have gone if I was starting from scratch rather than using an existing library). I wasn't sure if I needed that folder (the only thing in it is the original book and db files Calibre comes with)
You could select 'Delete' from the Same Library Menu, to have Calibre forget it existed. Or you could keep it as a 'Test' Library .

BTW Right-clicking on a title allows it to be copied/moved to another Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote