Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Harper Collins 26-checkout library policy starts to bite

This morning I opened up my e-book wish list at the LA County Public Library, only to find that four of the books on it now have this little note next to them:

"Sorry, this title is no longer available for check out. Click on the ‘Remove’ button to remove this title from your wish list."

Strangely enough , these are all HarperCollins books - four books by two different authors.

Since Harper Collins policy of limiting e-book checkouts to 26 only went into effect in early March (if my memory serves), I'd say it took CONSIDERABLY less than one year to use up the 26 checkouts...

I have written a second letter to the LA County Public Library, asking for verification that this was indeed the reason the books are gone, and indicating that, if it is, I would much prefer for them to quit spending my tax dollars on e-books that go away after 26 check-outs, and to spend instead on e-books that don't.

(My first letter, way back at the start of all this, indicated my support for them if they decided to quit buying Harper Collins e-books.)

I'll post an update if/when I hear back from them.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
This seems to be a system glitch (conflict) with wishlists - if you delete the books from your wishlist, you they should still be available in the Overdrive catalog for actual holds.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Oh no, libraries will stop having to buy so many DVDs and video games.

And God forbid authors should actually make money off of every 26 people who read their book.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

personaly i think the 26 checkout limit bites and its harper collins's way in saying that millions of ebook sales arent enough we need to gouge the last pennies from public libraries because those are the enemy!

My sister in law was a librarian up to 2 years ago when she had a baby and they would never throw a paper book out after 26 checkout unless the book was completly ruined by a patron and they would be charged a replacement fee.

her estimate was popular paperbacks lasted well beyond 100 checkout and hardbounds lasted more, only the ones that truly got abused got less and the patron who checked it out would pay the replacement cost.

imho any checkout limit on ebooks less than 100 is insane.

but it looks like thousands of libraries in north america are now boycotting harper collins e-books, i wonder how many of those pennies they are losing now.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
There is a petition on change.org:

Tell HarperCollins: Limited Checkouts on eBooks is Wrong for Libraries

So far, more than 61,000 people have signed it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Oh no, libraries will stop having to buy so many DVDs and video games.

And God forbid authors should actually make money off of every 26 people who read their book.
The libraries around here are buying games?

It has been a while since I've been in a SLCL library since I've been out of the county until recently, but they had very few movies or CDs at the time, and the ones I saw were usually educational. The CDs were either audiobooks or classical music.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My local library has books that go back decades. It's not that unusual for books printed in the 1930s to still be circulating. I'd bet I could find a 100-year-old book at my local library if I really tried, they aren't that uncommon.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
There is a petition on change.org:

Tell HarperCollins: Limited Checkouts on eBooks is Wrong for Libraries

So far, more than 61,000 people have signed it.
Why are they using a picture of a Kindle? At the writing of the article, Kindles cannot borrow eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are they using a picture of a Kindle? At the writing of the article, Kindles cannot borrow eBooks.
I'd assume the person who set up the petition really doesn't know much about ebooks. Not only can't Kindle's borrow ebooks, but that's the two models out of date Kindle 1 (much as I loved mine it's an antique these days).
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
but kindles will soo be able to borrow! it was announced last week that kindle will so be able to borrow books through overdrive friendly library systems i know that the library consortium that my library is part of announced it.. the only question now is when will that be introduced!

http://www.wplc.info/2011/04/kindle-...s-and-schools/
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
but kindles will soo be able to borrow! it was announced last week that kindle will so be able to borrow books through overdrive friendly library systems i know that the library consortium that my library is part of announced it.. the only question now is when will that be introduced!

http://www.wplc.info/2011/04/kindle-...s-and-schools/
Yes, I know they will eventually be able to borrow library eBooks. but until that is in place, using a picture of a Kindle in any article about library eBooks is a very bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The libraries around here are buying games?

It has been a while since I've been in a SLCL library since I've been out of the county until recently, but they had very few movies or CDs at the time, and the ones I saw were usually educational. The CDs were either audiobooks or classical music.
My local library has video game nights and such, people donate games. Tons of movies, but I download all the movies I wish to watch, lately stream actually. They also have shelves full of books, but I can emulate those shelves on my kindle.

As to OP, has any library purchased one of these imploding books yet?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Mine has. And like the ones mentioned by the OP, they can't be put on the wish list.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Can you put holds on them - or has your library actually gone through its 26-book allotment already? I am in the hold queue for one of those wonky wishlist books (I held it when the message came up), and am currently 5 of 28.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I requested an ebook from the Philadelphia Free Library, and this was their response:

Quote:
Thanks for your request. This book is published by Harper Collins. You may have heard that Harper has recently changed the terms under which it sells ebooks to libraries. Any newly purchased ebook can only be circulated 26 times. After that, the license expires and a new license must be purchased.

At the Free Library, on a temporary basis, we will not purchase new HarperCollins titles until we have more information on how HarperCollins and our vendor (OverDrive) will implement this change and until we know what the pricing structure will be for additional copies once the 26 number has been reached. We are also joining discussions with HarperCollins to offer other possible options as we all attempt to figure out this new landscape. If you’d like additional information, this recent New York Times article is a brief summary of both perspectives: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...Collins&st=cse

I'm sorry that I can't get this one for you at the moment. If the situation changes, I'll add Next to the collection. Definitely let us know if there are other titles you'd like to see. We'll do our best to add them.
Sorry is this was posted before.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote