Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
How "pocketable" are the 5-inch readers?

I've been reading eBooks on PDAs and smartphones for around 5 years now, and IMO the biggest advantage of eBooks over dead-tree books for me is that I can take my books everywhere I go.

Since my PDA/smartphone is always in my pocket, I can easily whip it out for a quick read whenever I find loose time (i.e. commuting in the subway, waiting in line, etc).

While the dedicated eReaders with their digital ink technology look very appealing, my prime concern with them is that they aren't quite as portable as I'd like them to be.

I like to travel light, so I rarely (if ever) carry a bag around. So if I were to buy a dedicated eReader, I would need a bag just to carry this gadget. Sooner or later, I see myself tiring of the extra burden, and begin leaving it at home.

So, I've been looking at the newer 5-inch readers (the Sony PRS-300 in particular), and was wondering just how pocketable they are.

Would they fit in the pockets of a pair of jeans?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post
Would they fit in the pockets of a pair of jeans?
It depends how tight you wear your jeans.

Actually, I would be reluctant to put a reader in a trouser pocket because of possible torsion on the screen.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Actually, I would be reluctant to put a reader in a trouser pocket because of possible torsion on the screen.
Hmm, that's a very good point. Upon further research, it seems that most of the eReaders out there use a glass panel that's rather prone to breaking.
I was expecting something like the "bullet-proof" glass that's being used in many smartphones (including the iPhone).

In any case, it looks like the 5-inch readers would only fit into the large side pockets of cargo pants... the type which I have no intention of wearing.

They would fit into the inside breast pocket of a blazer, but I won't be wearing one during warmer seasons.

Guess I'll have to either stick to my current smartphone for reading on-the-go, or change my habits and start carrying a bag for a dedicated eReader.
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't even like putting my PDA in my jeans pocket... Or my phone for that matter.

My Mini fits perfect in my coat pocket though. But I always have a backpack with me and I generally take all three with me.

You can always look up the sizes of the various devices and make a "mockup" of it. That way you can see what size they really are.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I am interested in how well the Pocketbook 360 works out as a device I can slip into a pant pocket. It has the advantage of a hardshell integrated screen cover that just slides off then attaches to the rear where it's out of the way. Given that is it's shorter than a Sony Pocket Edition, but I believe thicker due to the cover, it might work a bit better for some pockets but certainly better than the Sony PE with an add-on cover.

Boy, won't it be nice when flexible panels are the norm? Now when will we see that revived version of the Readius?!!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Here's the picture from the other thread. PocketBook 360 fits perfectly in any pocket. I carry it in my cargo shorts/pants knee pocket:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB360_size.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	39109
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would not put any eink based reader in my pants or coat pocket(s) because the risk of the screen breaking is just too high.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I discovered the 5" Astak PocketPRO fit into the pocket of my cargo pants nicely. I carried it around that way while out shopping. Don't think I'd want to have to run with that slapping against my thigh, though.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I discovered the 5" Astak PocketPRO fit into the pocket of my cargo pants nicely. I carried it around that way while out shopping. Don't think I'd want to have to run with that slapping against my thigh, though.
I agree....it's bad enough with other things slapping against your thigh, or so some buds tell me.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
With baggy jeans my Opus will fit in the front pocket while in it's case, but it's not what I'd call comfortable.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote