Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Replacing the silver plates on prs 505

Hi guys,

just wondering if there is a reseller that sells the silver plates from the prs 505. My reader fell to the ground (thankfully no internal dammage... buying some bookarmor so it never happens again...), but the bottom silver plate twisted and almost broke in half while trying to put it back together. Just need to find a web reseller that has these in stock, same or better ones... I'm guessing they will be a hot item when people start changing the batteries because these babies sure break off easy... very cheap metal! Wouldn't mind getting an upgrade on them!

Edit : Ahem, i mean plastic plates... not even cheap metal. What was i thinking... guess the R&D department thought metal would protect it too well... ;p

edit 2 : You can order it from sony here is the info :

The part number of the PLATE (LOWER) ASSY is A1362415A and it costs $ 35.98. While the part number of the PLATE (UPPER) ASSY is A1362416A and it costs $ 35.98.
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com

Last edited by Student1; 03-15-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Wow, it sounds like you were quite lucky there was no internal damage and the screen didn't break. Did the reader actually break open or did the plate break when it hit the ground?

I don't know where you can buy a plate, someone will come along who knows I'm sure. Can you buy a broken 505 for parts?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Wow, it sounds like you were quite lucky there was no internal damage and the screen didn't break. Did the reader actually break open or did the plate break when it hit the ground?

I don't know where you can buy a plate, someone will come along who knows I'm sure. Can you buy a broken 505 for parts?
I know, it didn't drop from very high, about 3 and a half feet at most! Good thing i had the leather cover on it! But yes, i was very lucky! The plate actually bent inward and broke at where the screw holds it. I thought it was metal but its very cheap plastic, no wonder it broke! But the good thing about plastic is that crazy glue should be enough to hold it! But i would rather have some replacement parts... would be nice if there was some custom parts... like metal plates rather than flimsy plastic plates! But readers are not yet really mainstream so i doubt someone started a business arround this...

Yeah would be an idea, but buying a defective one on Ebay might be expensive... anyway considering the part i want to replace.

Last edited by Student1; 03-14-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Have you tried contacting Sony? I wonder how much they would charge to repair it?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Have you tried contacting Sony? I wonder how much they would charge to repair it?
I'm sure they would charge a lot as its not covered in the warranty. I heard the battery replacement went over 200$. Funny when you can buy it from 27$ (already did when i need it i will have it ). So plastic cover i dont even want to know... guess they have to get the money somewhere after that ps3 fiasco . Tomorow i ll go to the hardware store and get some good ole crazy glue, will do the same as replacing the cover. What would really be nice would be metal covers... always like to pimp/hack my electronic devices =)!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi, there is a UK seller on eBay who is selling some PRS-505's which require repair.
May need to contact them for shipping details but they seem reasonably priced at present. The seller is called xsitems_ltd. Please be aware that i do not know of this company nor am i associated with it; just surfing around and thought it may be of interest to you!

Best wishes,

Tracey
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Student1
Groupie

Thanks it is well worth a look, i will check it up! In the time being saw the dissasemble instructions that are on the site, very usefull as some parts have screws that are almost invisible ;p!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Student1
Groupie

Well i used some very high potency plastic glue and it did the job, the plate is just as good as new and my reader seems perfect! Still would be nice to replace them with something better, hopefully part vendors will rise up once these readers become maimstream!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Glad you've got it fixed!

I was going to reccomend going to Sony's parts website: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com I don't know if they have the plates, but it's been my experience that you can find most things there, and all kind of random stuff. I've ordered parts from them in the past, and I've always had a great experience. And I can only imagine there are awesome people working behind the scenes there, because they've always anticipated what else I might need based on what I've ordered.

- Bought replacement silicon earbuds for my headphones, mentioned in the comments I only needed large if possible (they come in packs of 3 sizes) and they sent me 2 complete sets along with a handful of loose large silicon earbuds.

- Ordered a replacement stylus for a turntable, they sent me a record cleaning kit and replacement bands for it.

Those are just the things that spring to mind. If they don't have it on their site, it's not a bad idea to shoot them an email on what you're looking for.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #10
Student1
Groupie

Thank you for the address,

i have just sent them an email, crossing my fingers. Thanks again for all the help guys!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Student1
Groupie

I already received word from sony! And it is available, here is where to order it!

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco...oductSearch.do

part number is : PLATE (LOWER) ASSY is A1362415A, PLATE (UPPER) ASSY is A1362416A.

here is the reply from rep :

"

Thank you for contacting Sony Parts.

The information you requested is below:

The part number of the PLATE (LOWER) ASSY is A1362415A and it costs $ 35.98. While the part number of the PLATE (UPPER) ASSY is A1362416A and it costs $ 35.98.

You can order any available items through our website, or call us at (800) 488-7669.

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com

TIP: Shipping charges and local taxes will be added at checkout.

NOTE: Parts do not include installation instructions.

Thank you for choosing Sony.

The Sony Parts and Accessory Team
cdm2
Alfred

"

Altleast we know we can order it ! Seems to be out of stuck, but i ll try ordering it and see from there!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Student1
Groupie

Hmm can't order to canada from that site, only for us citizens, is there another site for canada?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i remember seeing some installation instructions for this (lower) but can't remember where.....anyone have a link.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
i remember seeing some installation instructions for this (lower) but can't remember where.....anyone have a link.
Igorsk's disassembling guide was sufficient for me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2172951...7603454047408/
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
jtcasas
jtcasas began at the beginning.

Thank you all for the valuable information. My PRS-505 fell from about 3 feet, and the bottom bezel broke. I have just ordered a replacement using the assembly numbers that you provided.
jtcasas is offline   Reply With Quote