Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
ePub compression

Hi,

I know that the ePub format is just a bunch of zipped files that belong to the book. I just wanted to know how compressed this files are in .zip . Can I compress them a lot to save space ir they'll be unreadable by the device ?(for me its a sony reader 505)

thank you
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzule View Post
Hi,

I know that the ePub format is just a bunch of zipped files that belong to the book. I just wanted to know how compressed this files are in .zip . Can I compress them a lot to save space ir they'll be unreadable by the device ?(for me its a sony reader 505)

thank you
With the exception of the mime-type all of the files are compressed using zip standard compression generally. Of course images are often already compressed so the difference isn't high but the text is compressed a lot. You can try a higher compression number if you wish and the zip you use supports it but don't expect to save a lot.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
yeah, i know you dont save A LOT, but i was trying do put wikipedia on the sony reader, so if i save 10 KB for each file having a count of 1,000,000 files, it really makes a difference.

thanks for the info
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Explode and Implode an ePub?, where it was rightly pointed out that it isn't clear why an ePub reader would care much about the ZIP details. But in fact they do - see DE upgrade ePub problems, #21. There may be room for extra computer processing to get better compression, but the compression format must be the ZIP standard and the file mimetype must be first and must not be compressed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote