Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Japanese flavoured or inspired

I'm after novels that have a Japanese flavour or inspiration to them. Something dealing with Samurai and Ninja, the Bushido code, etc. Set in medieval times or fantasy/mythical Japan. Perhaps based on Japanese legends or myths. Something of that sort.

An example of the sort of thing would be Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearne....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%20the%20otori

Any suggestions?

P.S: I thought I saw a thread recently about Japanese books or language but I can't find it now, so if this is a repeat feel free to link me to that thread.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess one obvious suggestion is James Clavell's "Shogun".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
For a well-written, highly original fantasy set in a Japanese-inspired culture, check out Sean Russell's "Initate Brother Duology". Here's the link to the Kindle edition: http://www.amazon.com/Initiate-Broth...itiate+brother

Russell is one of my favorite fantasy writers and, although this isn't my favorite of his works, it is still quite good and is exactly the type of book you're asking about.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I enjoyed Wen Spencer's Eight Million Gods. Contemporary fantasy set in Japan.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
bar49
bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle 2, PW2
You might consider:

Dale Furutani's Matsuyama Kaze series:
1. Death at the Crossroads
2. The Jade Palace Vendetta
3. Kill the Shogun

I.J. Parker's Sugawara Akitada series:
1. Rashomon Gate
2. The Hell Screen
3. The Dragon Scroll
4. Black Arrow
5. Island of Exiles
6. The Convict's Sword
7. The Fires of the Gods
8. The Masuda Affair
9. Death on an Autumn River
10. The Emperor's Woman
11. Death of a Doll Maker
12. The Crane Pavilion

Eiji Yoshikawa' s novels:
Musashi
The Heike Story
Taiko

Laura Joh Rowland's Sano Ichiro series:
1. Shinju
2. Bundori
3. The Way of the Traitor
4. The Concubine's Tattoo
5. The Samurai's Wife
6. Black Lotus
7. The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria
8. The Dragon King's Palace
9. The Perfumed Sleeve
10. The Assassin's Touch
11. The Red Chrysanthemum
12. The Snow Empress
13. The Fire Kimono
14. The Cloud Pavilion
15. The Ronin's Mistress
16. The Incense Game
17. The Shogun's Daughter

Takashi Matsuoka's novels:
Cloud of Sparrows
Autumn Bridge

As well, the Historical Novels site (http://www.historicalnovels.info/Asia.html#Japan) should provide you with other options.

Last edited by bar49; 02-03-2014 at 09:21 AM.
bar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar49 View Post
You might consider:

Dale Furutani's Matsuyama Kaze series:
1. Death at the Crossroads
2. The Jade Palace Vendetta
3. Kill the Shogun

I.J. Parker's Sugawara Akitada series:
1. Rashomon Gate
2. The Hell Screen
3. The Dragon Scroll
4. Black Arrow
5. Island of Exiles
6. The Convict's Sword
7. The Fires of the Gods
8. The Masuda Affair
9. Death on an Autumn River
10. The Emperor's Woman
11. Death of a Doll Maker
12. The Crane Pavilion

Musashi
The Heike Story
Taiko

Laura Joh Rowland's Sano Ichiro series:
1. Shinju
2. Bundori
3. The Way of the Traitor
4. The Concubine's Tattoo
5. The Samurai's Wife
6. Black Lotus
7. The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria
8. The Dragon King's Palace
9. The Perfumed Sleeve
10. The Assassin's Touch
11. The Red Chrysanthemum
12. The Snow Empress
13. The Fire Kimono
14. The Cloud Pavilion
15. The Ronin's Mistress
16. The Incense Game
17. The Shogun's Daughter

Takashi Matsuoka's novels:
Cloud of Sparrows
Autumn Bridge

As well, the Historical Novels site (http://www.historicalnovels.info/Asia.html#Japan) should provide you with other options.
All of these are great.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar49 View Post

Musashi
The Heike Story
Taiko
Yep, these are fab

I'll add The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan by Yasushi Inoue to the suggestions
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The Twelve Kingdoms Series by Fuyumi Ono

(Click on book covers for more)

Books 6 and 7 haven't been translated into English officially by Tokyopop, but you can find fan translations online that are done in almost a professional level.

If you read French, all books have been translated by Milan.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Thanks everyone, there should be enough to keep me going for quite some time.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Lian Hearn has written a fantasy YA series that's very Japan inspired (Shogunate Japan with hints of magic) the first book is Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
deackychu
deackychu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Books 6 and 7 haven't been translated into English officially by Tokyopop, but you can find fan translations online that are done in almost a professional level.

If you read French, all books have been translated by Milan.
Considering Tokyopop no longer exists, I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd also be quite leery of anything that company translated as a vast majority of it was either made up, extremely liberal, far too Americanized, honorific-laden or just outright translated incorrectly.
deackychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
try the Across the Nightingale Floor series, by Liam Hearn
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I enjoyed Wen Spencer's Eight Million Gods. Contemporary fantasy set in Japan.
Thumbs up on this one.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Well there's Trevanian's _Shibumi_ --- it hasn't aged well, but has a certain '70s charm.

Agree that anyone interested in Japan should read the fictionalized Musashi books (and _The Book of Five Rings_, and the _Hagakure_, &c.)

When I was a kid I found a couple of books by T. C. Rypel, about a half-white Samurai, Gonji --- the first book was _Deathwind of Vedun_ (I think I had the second and fourth book) --- always meant to find the balance of them.

I've always been fond of _The Cybernetic Samurai_ by Victor Milán --- you pretty much need to read Heinlein's _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ first (and Minsky's _The Turing Option is a good grounding / contrast) though.

Kara Dalkey's _The Nightingale_ moves the setting to Japan from China and is as well done as the other ``Fairy Tale'' novels.

Neil Gaiman's _Sandman: The Dream Hunters_ is set in Japan and is quite vivid and moving.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post

When I was a kid I found a couple of books by T. C. Rypel, about a half-white Samurai, Gonji --- the first book was _Deathwind of Vedun_ (I think I had the second and fourth book) --- always meant to find the balance of them.
You can find them on Amazon as Ebooks now. The first three released are actually the first book divided into three parts. I hope he releases the others too.
http://www.amazon.com/T.-C.-Rypel/e/..._athr_dp_pel_1
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote