Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
changes in ebook checkout policy at the Philadelphia Free Library, effective Dec 17

The Philadelphia Free Library, which I believe many folks in MR pay the non-resident yearly fee to be able to use, has just changed its e-book checkout policies, per this blog post from Dec 17.

Of importance to many will likely be the reduction in titles you can have checked out at one time from 10 to 6. The "shortly" referred to in the blog post has already happened. When I logged in to check out a book just now, Dec 18, my limit already shows as 6.

Quote:
EBook Loan Changes
By Anne L.
Tue, December 17, 2013

We are delighted that OverDrive ebook circulation continues to grow -- a 33% increase in use over this same time a year ago-- and we anticipate continued growth. This great increase comes at a time when the Free Library's materials budget is flat and some popular ebook titles have long waits. To ensure everyone has more access we will be changing two aspects of our Overdrive ebook policy shortly:

The loan period will now be 14 days for all OverDrive formats. If there are no holds on your item, you can renew it (or put a hold on it); and you can still return items before they are due.

The number of OverDrive items that can be checked out at the same time will be six (6).

We hope this makes it possible for more customers to have access to ebooks.

Thank you for being a valued customer of the Free Library of Philadelphia.
link: http://libwww.freelibrary.org/blog/i...fm?postid=1893
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I think that 6 at a time is reasonable.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You used to be able to get 10???

Well, even 6 is still more than my library. Count your blessings.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Orange County Public library in Florida allows 20 at a time.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Technically I can get 2*3 at home, 6*8 at school, and 1*5 from a random location, if you count all the library cards I have of friends. With permission of course. formula=cards*limit. That would be 59 books at a time. So I guess I'm all right really.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Technically I can get 2*3 at home, 8*6 at school, and 1*5 from a random location, if you count all the library cards I have of friends. With permission of course. formula=cards*limit. That would be 59 books at a time. So I guess I'm all right really.
And I could get more easily, but at 59 I think it's enough and at this point it's just not worth the effort.

Unless I can get from a fourth system.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-19-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: accidentally switched 8*6 to 6*8
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That's livable for me, 10 was a luxury since my local library only allows 6 checkouts and 3 holds (the 3 holds I think is just horrid since we can have wait lists with 400 people before you).

On another note about the Free Library of Philadelphia, does anyone know if they still allow free access for out-of-state seniors? I can no longer find any reference to it on their site.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That's livable for me, 10 was a luxury since my local library only allows 6 checkouts and 3 holds (the 3 holds I think is just horrid since we can have wait lists with 400 people before you).

On another note about the Free Library of Philadelphia, does anyone know if they still allow free access for out-of-state seniors? I can no longer find any reference to it on their site.
No they do not. At $50 a year for 6 books at a time that's would make me not renew if they ever take away my free library card I wont be renewing. Now since I get it free 6 is okay they have such a limited selection anyway.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Orange County Public library in Florida allows 20 at a time.
Does it allow non-residents loan privilleges?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No they do not. At $50 a year for 6 books at a time that's would make me not renew if they ever take away my free library card I wont be renewing. Now since I get it free 6 is okay they have such a limited selection anyway.
That's a bummer. I got a card in my husband's name, I can't remember if there was an expiration date on it or not, and I can't find the card. And like you, I wouldn't pay the $50 either for 6 books, especially since I do have access to my own library here, just longer wait times.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That's a bummer. I got a card in my husband's name, I can't remember if there was an expiration date on it or not, and I can't find the card. And like you, I wouldn't pay the $50 either for 6 books, especially since I do have access to my own library here, just longer wait times.
As far as I know I don't think the free cards expire. They however could be revoked at any time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
If that cuts down on longer wait times then I would be all for it. Heck, four is more than enough in my opinion. My problem is not having too few checkouts available but rather having to get on long waiting lists for books I want to borrow.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Technically I can get 2*3 at home, 6*8 at school, and 1*5 from a random location, if you count all the library cards I have of friends. With permission of course.
Do you have the library's permission to use your friends' cards? With my library, using someone else's account is not allowed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you have the library's permission to use your friends' cards? With my library, using someone else's account is not allowed.
Hmm...I don't know about this particular case, but I know that at my library there is no policy on using other people's cards--I really don't think they care who uses the card. Why would they care, and how could they enforce such a policy?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

At our library you better believe they care who is using the card they issued to you. You have to bring in a photo ID and proof of your address to get your card. They need to know who has their books, who to bill for late fees if you don't return a book (physical books from the library that is). The policy on ebooks is no different. Only the person who was issued the card is allowed to use it and borrow any books with it.

Of course there is probably no way they could enforce it for ebooks, unless both of you borrow a book with IPs across country. But I'm going to guess that they probably don't check IPs to even notice that.

But I'm pretty certain that all libraries who issue cards have the same policy about not letting others use it.