Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #256
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Pros:
-Dude! It has Handwriting recognition!
I was wondering about that.
The Surface Pro is supposed to come with Wacom pen support, and the RT doesn't, so I was wondering if the touch screen digitizer would be good enough to feed the ink engine.
Good to know it is.
thanks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #257
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Does the Kindle app on Win 8 support multiple columns?

When using my iPad, I like to read in landscape mode with two columns. On my Kindles (Keyboard and Fire) I prefer portrait mode because of the smaller size (and because they do not support multiple columns).

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 12-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #258
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Does the Kindle app on Win 8 support multiple columns?

When using my iPad, I like to read in landscape mode with two columns. On my Kindles (Keyboard and Fire) I prefer portrait mode because of the smaller size (and because they do not support multiple columns).

Best regards,
Andy
On Surface RT: No (although help states otherwise for Windows 8 in general).
No biggy for myself, but I've got a real problem with the Kindle app on Surface RT: After downloading a few dozens of books, it states "no more storage" or something like that. Although I've got the 64GB version and more than 30GB left...
And the Kobo app isn't working that well either: I can't download big files from my Kobo account, for example Dilbert cartoons.
So far, the nook app works best.
But if it's working, all 3 apps are great. I love the form factor of Surface RT for reading. Landscape is great for the web, but I prefer portrait for books.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-06-2012 at 11:08 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #259
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
ok. second update. first letting out the anger:
-internet explorer is slow and sucks with videos. And there's no really a list for bookmarks just a horizontal list of icons which with time will grow to painful lights. Also it cannot be customized at all.
-the mail app is just a shame. The list has no end.Slow. No global inbox. Not possible to mark mails or select several with only the screen. Copy paste is slow and doesn't work on some places(settings). Doesn't recognize urls sometimes. There's no document previews. In general... a disaster.
-sometimes there's lag in the UI. And some taps aren't recognized (you have to tap several times a same spot) or the windows touch home button too.
-the accelerometer is slow. Turn, wait, turn wait... >_>
-the touch cover needs a stable flat surface or you get wonky input (e.g. a tablecloth already rains down on your party).

Now the awesome.
-You can access your files of your main computer from the network!(stream, open, copy, delete, modify) So there's zero need for "synching" and I guess you can add even network printers (haven't tested yet)
-usb works with anything
-simultaneous multitasking is cool
-office is awesome but it takes time to use with touchscreen because of the many features.

So, I'm ok with it ... the main pains are basically software based, so it can be resolved and apparently Microsoft is seriously hot on getting these details polished. Hardware is good but if Microsoft gets out a surface with iPad format, I'm selling this as fast as a hot potato because this format is "acceptable" but not really something you would like to get out in the open or in a bus and mostly because I like more portrait mode.

Last edited by darknessangel; 12-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #260
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
IE 10 doesn't support Flash. You will need to install a separate browser and Flash for those video's to work. I think iOS and Android are also off now for Flash, aren't they all moving to HTML 5?
Yes, the horizontal scroll list for Favorites can get long, but just start typing and those icons will appear above the address bar.
I have several accounts in my Mail app, Yahoo, Aol, Gmail etc. Have you added accounts?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #261
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
IE 10 doesn't support Flash. You will need to install a separate browser and Flash for those video's to work. I think iOS and Android are also off now for Flash, aren't they all moving to HTML 5?
Yes, the horizontal scroll list for Favorites can get long, but just start typing and those icons will appear above the address bar.
I have several accounts in my Mail app, Yahoo, Aol, Gmail etc. Have you added accounts?
I have also several accounts on my mail app (work, private, spam and gmail). The app is still crap. I cannot see which mails I get in the lock screen and you get highlighted just the last mails (not the unread ones)... I'll just stop here because I want to enjoy the rest of sunday. And... I think microsoft just made a mistake by not extending the IE properties (I don't really need flash as only annoying publicity comes in it and html 5 works fine). And for bookmarks I surely prefer a list. And it's useless to see the sites "pinned" to the start page.

Last edited by darknessangel; 12-10-2012 at 05:18 AM.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #262
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I completely agree, I thought you might have missed something. As for the limited functionality, I think MS wanted to leave some room for small developers to put up something in their new precious Store.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #263
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
IE10 has built-in Flash support. It does work quite well for me (Hulu, for example, work much better than on Android or WebOS, hasn't crashed yet -- the best part is that you can do something else during commercials). In general I am quite happy with the browser, although it would be nice to have options.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #264
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Hun, there are lots of YouTube videos that won't play, I assumed those where the Flash videos. It's not like the URL gives you a hint.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #265
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hun, there are lots of YouTube videos that won't play, I assumed those where the Flash videos. It's not like the URL gives you a hint.

Can you perhaps give a link or two? I want to try it out. What doesn't work for me in Flash sometimes is double click (a flash-based website sometimes ask you to use a slider to choose a video) on some websites I can use double click to access the slider, on some sites I need to use the mouse. But any old mouse seems to work. Even the ones with wireless USB dongle (Logitech Anywhere in my case).

Just entering the second week of a business trip to South East Asia using only the Surface RT with Touch keyboard and my Android phone. Generally I am really pleased except for a few issues:

1.)Can't send files in Skype -- sure this will be resolved pretty soon, but it is a pain. Skype calls do work really well, though. No file transfer for IM+ either. So we are using e-mail for sending files now.

2.)Typing is still a learning experience. Strangely enough it is not because the keys are so flat --- that doesn't seem to bother me at all --- but because the spacing seems to be slightly off and I kept hitting the wrong keys when I wasn't looking while typing. But by now I am doing quite well.

3.)Text can be quite small, especially when using split windows. But using an external monitor I could pretty much get away with just using the Surface for most everything. The only time I had to use another PC was when I forgot the password of my travel router (no ethernet port, of course -- that would happen with many laptops these days).

4.)I had forgotten to download some additional video playing apps and was stuck with an incompatible format -- my phone helped me out that time. Would have been nice to have a wide compatibility out of the box.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #266
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Is it possible to hook up the Surface to the hotel's TV? BYOC style.
That should really help with the limited monitor space on a tablet style computer.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #267
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Is it possible to hook up the Surface to the hotel's TV? BYOC style.
That should really help with the limited monitor space on a tablet style computer.
Yes, it has a microHDMI port, you can buy a cable and plug it into a TV. Third party cables work fine, apparently it works best with a 1080p TV. The minimum solution required to have 2 windows open is 1366x768. There are also VGA converters, I haven't read up on those.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #268
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Can you split windows between the internal monitor and external? Extending your desktop. That should leave plenty of room to work efficiently.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #269
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Can you split windows between the internal monitor and external? Extending your desktop. That should leave plenty of room to work efficiently.
Haven't tried it myself, but apparently you can mirror, extend, or just use the external monitor -- just like for any PC.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #270
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
IE 10 has flash built in. The thing I see issues with is Java applets. go to a website and get stuck because there is a drop list box or pulldown menu that you need to make a selection with but the applet that runs list/menu doesnt work.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote