Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Open Run-Off • December 2012
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami 7 41.18%
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I doubt it's a bomb. Good books aren't good for everyone at every point in their life. Although I have my doubts about Joyce.
Funny that you mention Joyce since I'm reading Ulysses right now.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Funny that you mention Joyce since I'm reading Ulysses right now.
It's a masterpiece!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^It's certainly something. I read it last year. Parts were very fun, parts very irritating. I read Artist this year and I think I'm done with Joyce now.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
^It's certainly something. I read it last year. Parts were very fun, parts very irritating. I read Artist this year and I think I'm done with Joyce now.
Try his short story collection The Dubliners, before you leave him altogether {assuming you haven't already read the collection}.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's not that I hate Joyce, but reading him feels like a million monkeys to me. Just throw a lot of words on the page and something amongst them has to be good. I can understand the interest with allegory, metaphor, and allusion being so important to the writing, but so much of it is just so daft boring. It's something to study, not to actually sit and enjoy, unless of course one is an English Literature major. I'm not. That's probably where the disconnect is. I plead guilt of ignorance and will go back to reading cereal boxes.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
It's not that I hate Joyce, but reading him feels like a million monkeys to me. Just throw a lot of words on the page and something amongst them has to be good. I can understand the interest with allegory, metaphor, and allusion being so important to the writing, but so much of it is just so daft boring. It's something to study, not to actually sit and enjoy, unless of course one is an English Literature major. I'm not. That's probably where the disconnect is. I plead guilt of ignorance and will go back to reading cereal boxes.
I think your criticism is quite justified in Finnegan's Wake which is so loaded with allusively heavy language as to be almost incomprehensible. But in The Dubliners Joyce creates a series of dark, often poignant portraits of Dublin life. The longest, "The Dead" is in some ways an elegiac study of the end of an era and a culture. One thing about them, though, is that the stories while gritty and pessimistic do have a kind of wisdom that comes from a deep perception of the human condition.

The portraits may not be very pleasant but they are beautifully written, accessible and worth exploring {eventually }.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I just started reading Year of Wonders last night. Looks like a good read.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote