Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #151
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Wow, 4 pages to read since last visit and so many great videos to watch. Even one dedicated to my question, even though I only asked for a text link to read about - this is amazing. Vielen Dank!!

You certainly made the choice hard after showing the multitasking and bookmarking capabilities of the PB903. Quick Question: do the chosen pages get saved somewhere, so when you open the same book next time, they're ready to pick again? Onyx have a similar popup window to jump to a certain page, maybe they can implement something similar too? After all, both devices have 256MB of RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem here.

I noticed on your videos, that on both devices the stylus doesn't register sometimes. I know this behaviour from my own little Onyx. Booxtor also complained about innacuracy of the M92 stylus. Could you share your opinion on the subject from your own testing, how both devices compare? From my own PB903 testing, I thought the reactions there are a bit better.

Thanks again for your amazing work!
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #152
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
I noticed on your videos, that on both devices the stylus doesn't register sometimes. I know this behaviour from my own little Onyx. Booxtor also complained about innacuracy of the M92 stylus. Could you share your opinion on the subject from your own testing, how both devices compare? From my own PB903 testing, I thought the reactions there are a bit better.
I don't think there is much difference in how the devices register touch (or sometimes don't). The feeling of the 903 stylus is somwhat softer (which I like), and it also helps that the 903 has the green 'thinklight' (so you get an idea why it might not have registered). They are also both not precision instruments (nothing like e.g. the stylus on the n900), but for clicking large icons its enough. Underlining in text with a small font is sometimes difficult, and the m92 is bit better there - not because the stylus would work better, but because you can make the line thinner :-)
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #153
maindoor
Enthusiast
maindoor began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaach View Post
Here you are: http://youtu.be/eizivegEM2I

I have the feeling that the file is quite a nasty one. Besides that: fbreader does not handle it good (903 and m92), but htmlreader on m92 does. Seems to work 'ok', the buttons/joystick could be integrated better. Paning on the page with the stylus doesn't work.
@Jbaach

Thank you very much for testing it out. Decent handling of chm files.
Sorry about the bad file. I'm currently using windows and it did not have
any issues, so i used that.
I'm currently sold on this product, just a black bezel and I'm ready to order.
maindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #154
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
@PF4Mobile

From what I understand the pdfs themselfes are not touched. Both devices store the annotations externally. I made another video that shows how I made some annotations to a sample pdf on moodle. The exported annotations are attached.

The m92 files (two files, one starts with a dot '.' are actual sqlite databases). Not sure about the format of the contained blobs.

The 903 is html + images (png, svg). From a quick test I did one could write a little parser to modify the html to include the pngs as backgrounds for the pen annotations that are stored as (transparent) svgs.
Yes I can confirm that they are both liteSql files. The .sketch file can also be opened with a sqlite db viewer ..
Excellent work. I am now thinking about buying one although I am contemplating the idea of an Asus eee 121 for the some color PDFs. I just missed a deal ..refurbished for 600$ ..not far from a M92.

thanks a lot
PF

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 12-14-2011 at 11:59 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #155
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Yes I can confirm that they are both liteSql files. The .sketch file can also be opened with a sqlite db viewer
Could you clarify that. I'm on a Mac, and I was able to find several SQLite3 database browsers/editors (incl. cross-platform software) that could open and read the M92 .sketch file, but it didn't have any real value, because none of the M92 annotations could be made visible. (But maybe I'm missing something here.)
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #156
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Nope you are not missing anything.

"The m92 files (two files, one starts with a dot '.' are actual sqlite databases). Not sure about the format of the contained blobs."

blob= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object
http://effbot.org/zone/sqlite-blob.htm

At least there is hope you can somehow script it to add the objects back to the PDF file as layers after you have the files exported to desktop. It would had been worse to have them in a proprietary format. In other words we did not solve the problem of exporting the annotations but at least we defined what the problem might look like.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #157
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
@jbaach: Thanks to you for the interesting videos! How is the sound quality and TTS?
Lets hear the books reading out loud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W80ilCsBeQg

(Reading the first lines of http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/103.epub.noimages)
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #158
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Nope you are not missing anything.

"The m92 files (two files, one starts with a dot '.' are actual sqlite databases). Not sure about the format of the contained blobs."

blob= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object
http://effbot.org/zone/sqlite-blob.htm

At least there is hope you can somehow script it to add the objects back to the PDF file as layers after you have the files exported to desktop. It would had been worse to have them in a proprietary format. In other words we did not solve the problem of exporting the annotations but at least we defined what the problem might look like.

I think you might have missed a video and parts of the discussion

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #159
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
my impression is that the m92 is a bit quieter and more mechanical sounding but it also seemed to enunciate the words more clearly especially towards the middle/ later part. is that a correct impression do you think?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #160
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Lets hear the books reading out loud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W80ilCsBeQg

(Reading the first lines of http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/103.epub.noimages)
Thanks!
The 903 sounds better. The M92 sounds a little bit as if the speaker is going to cry. Also the M92 speaker on the back side doesn't look good. Could you please make a picture from the back side?

I have some more questions about the M92 :
Is the quality better using headphones?
How is the quality playing songs?
What about the built-in microphone? Can you easily take audio notes and how do they sound?
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #161
measure
measure began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've ordered the M92 from Onyx USA and hope to answer questions as jbaach has once it arrives, although he's left very little to ask about.
measure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #162
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I think you might have missed a video and parts of the discussion

TRUE! Thanks a lot.
I bookmarked jbaach's blog and his youtube channel hopping to catch up later with the info he posted there..
That discovery is very important, thanks for pointing that out. Saving the scribbling is good but not enough... my workflow includes processing especially the highlights on the desktop.
However it is better than nothing, I think I could survive with just scribbling :-). The highlighted text might be stored in clear in one of the sqlite files.

@ jbaach: thanks a lot for your work on this. I can't thank you enough. You did exemplary work and I believe that Onyx should reward you for this. Seriously!
Would it be possible for you to upload on your site the file obtained after merging? If you could it would help to have the following:
-the original file
-annotate the file (1 text note, 1 highlitghing, 1 scribbling)
-the sqlite files associated with the above
-the merged file

I would like to see if the highlighted text is by any chance stored in one of these DBs. From what I remember you did highlight some text but you added a note there as well. What would happen if you do not add anything? The reader should and must make a reference to that highlighted text somehow...

thanks a lot
This is on track to become one of the best and most complete reviews I have seen for such a device.
PF
Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #163
frigo
frigo began at the beginning.

Device: (maybe) Onyx Boox M92
recording a zoom level?

Thanks to the forum members who took so much time to review this new device. The thread was so interesting that I finally decided to quit lurking and to register - and, well, ask some more questions, since I don't own any e-reader yet, about which I could contribute myself...

Maybe I missed something in the videos, but I don't think I've read any answer to the following question. It concerns both the Onyx and the PB903: when you get rid of the margins of one page in order to improve its readability, either by automatic crop or by manual zoom, can you keep this zoom template for all the following pages? Or do you need to perform the same operation at every page, however in most cases the margins remain the same in the whole book ?

Thanks !
Frédéric
frigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #164
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by frigo View Post
Thanks to the forum members who took so much time to review this new device. The thread was so interesting that I finally decided to quit lurking and to register - and, well, ask some more questions, since I don't own any e-reader yet, about which I could contribute myself...

Maybe I missed something in the videos, but I don't think I've read any answer to the following question. It concerns both the Onyx and the PB903: when you get rid of the margins of one page in order to improve its readability, either by automatic crop or by manual zoom, can you keep this zoom template for all the following pages? Or do you need to perform the same operation at every page, however in most cases the margins remain the same in the whole book ?

Thanks !
Frédéric
Hello and Welcome, Frédéric!

The m92 keeps the zoom settings automatically so you don't have to repeat zooming every new page. Just read and enjoy it

You can actually see it here http://youtu.be/0EL43EQg8YM?t=13m34s
The eBook is opened in hide margine mode. On the next page M92 adjusts/hides margins automatically

Last edited by Booxtor; 12-16-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #165
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
Booxtor..
Any update about the delivery? I have ordered mine last Sunday,
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote