Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #166
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Exactly what my wife got. We named it Li'l Red.
I'm undecided between red and yellow. My current 7-inch is blue, so I want a different color. I wish there were more color choices--like turquoise or orange or purple.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #167
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I do hope, for buyers' sake, that this edition of the Fire 8 tablet is better. We still have Fire HD 6, 2015 Fire 7 HD, 1st of the very cheap Fire 7 tabs (2015 or 16?) and the first of the Fire HD 8 tabs. They all are pretty crappy. My 2013 Nexus 7 is superior, even at this date, to every Fire I've ever had.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #168
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We've not found any of our Fires lacking in anything we got them for. At several times the price, I'd hope the Nexus does some stuff better.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #169
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
We've not found any of our Fires lacking in anything we got them for. At several times the price, I'd hope the Nexus does some stuff better.
I got mine when it and the then-current Fires were about the same price

I think my brother is getting 2 of the current 8" Fires, but I won't get to see them before he flies back home to the Philippines. I still love my HD 6 for games, as long as the wifi is off.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #170
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I do hope, for buyers' sake, that this edition of the Fire 8 tablet is better. We still have Fire HD 6, 2015 Fire 7 HD, 1st of the very cheap Fire 7 tabs (2015 or 16?) and the first of the Fire HD 8 tabs. They all are pretty crappy. My 2013 Nexus 7 is superior, even at this date, to every Fire I've ever had.
I've had much better success reading Kindle books on Android devices than on Amazon devices. This Fire HD 8 seems snappier with the Kindle books than my older Kindle Fire and Fire phone (I bought that to use more as an audio player and it was a dud). Very easy instructions for installing the Play store, and I was up and running with Calibre Companion / Moon+ Reader in no time. I'm not sure how much reading I'll be doing on it, but gotta be prepared!

Oh and having portable Alexa is niftyl (never purchased a Tap ).

Last edited by copyrite; 09-13-2017 at 09:49 AM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #171
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm undecided between red and yellow. My current 7-inch is blue, so I want a different color. I wish there were more color choices--like turquoise or orange or purple.

I ended up ordering the red one myself. Upgrading from a 7" fire I've had since 2013 or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #172
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post

Oh and having portable Alexa is niftyl (never purchased a Tap ).
Ok, can you or anyone explain to me what good having Alexa on any device is, other than to show the history?

For example it says on the Fire HD 8 page "Now with Alexa, for quick access to the information and entertainment you want. Ask questions, play music, check your calendar, get the news, weather, and more - just press the home button and ask."

Ok well neither my Fire 8 or the Alexa app on a phone responds when I ask it a question. The phone has a home icon in the app (the Fire does not). Makes no difference. I can't get anything to happen. It won't even play music. On the tablet, I go to Amazon Music in the Alexa app. I get a message that says, "Looks like you're trying to play something on (this tablet). Speak to (this tablet) and tell Alexa what you'd like to play." I can talk to it till I turn blue. Nothing happens (unless the Dot in the kitchen hears me, then it replies).

Is it just a remote control for the Echo devices?

Last edited by booklover6; 09-13-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #173
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The middle round button is considered the Home button on the Fire HD 8. Hold it down and speak. You don't have to open the Alexa app. You'll also see content appear on the screen.

You can have additional content sent to the Fire tablets from an Echo device running current software if you enable Voicecast in the Alexa app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201601900
Old 09-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #174
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
The middle round button is considered the Home button on the Fire HD 8. Hold it down and speak. You don't have to open the Alexa app. You'll also see content appear on the screen.

You can have additional content sent to the Fire tablets from an Echo device running current software if you enable Voicecast in the Alexa app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201601900
Thank you, I never heard about Voicecast. And I was trying to use Alexa on the tablet with the app open. It works fine, when the app is not open.

Now on my Android phone, the Alexa app seems completely useless. I uninstalled it.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #175
copyrite
Wizard

The only time I've used the Alexa app on my phone is to disconnect a bluetooth headset from an Echo so I can use it with my phone.

Edit: Voicecast can be useful for weather. Asking the Echo about the weather, I end up with a seven day forecast at a glance on the tablet!

There was a tutorial for Alexa that popped up after registering the device and in the process was a link to Voicecast information.

Last edited by copyrite; 09-13-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #176
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've used Alexa on my crappy little 7" Fire a couple of times to order an Alexa Deal, but that's about it. Worked well enough.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #177
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Amazon Alexa: Ultimate User Guide 2017 for Amazon Echo, Echo Dot & Amazon Tap +500 Secret Easter Eggs included - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Alexa-...dp/B01NAKN8A8/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #178
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Fire TV/ Echo Dot Bundles

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #179
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I just noticed that Amazon put up a special on ereaders for Prime Members. https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&no...ods_fs_erdr_cp

Kindle Basic $49.99
Paperwhite $89.99
Voyage $169.99
Oasis $309.99
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #180
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
How about Woot for ereaders and tablets?

refurbished

https://www.woot.com/category/comput..._cnt_cdet_pc_4
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote