Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Barty: Yup. Not a fan. Too much 'on the fence' between full serif and slab serif, which (I find), ends up looking somewhat awkward. And I'm not a fan of its slanted style either.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #152
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated the package (Fonts 0.8.N), to catch up with the snapshots, and ensure that the FT override crashbug is squished from the release version .
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #153
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunchunchun View Post
Thanks again, NiLuJe.
I originally put 4 fonts in fontlink/font: regular/bold/italic/bolditalic style of one font family.(4 font files)
I removed three of them, only left the regular one, now the bold appear like regular, the bolditalic appear like italic.

will study the FC config...
@chunchunchun

I also from china!
You can try this

May I have a contect with you?
QQ or others?
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #154
ricocarlos
ricocarlos began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
I changed the font to Uptown Elegance, and it shows up in the Aa menu, but the font doesn't change when in the books. When I launch KUAL, all the menus are using Uptown Elegance as well. What have I done wrong?
ricocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #155
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You're confusing the font overrides with the actual Aa menu, which are two different things. Also, you were probably checking things in a book with annoying/borken formatting (font family-wise), and you enabled a font override for the wrong family (I would guess sans).

Read the doc again, and try to give more details, because I'm guessing most of what I just said, since I have no idea which device/fw version/etc you're using.
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #156
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

Device: prs 650
I'm on 5.4 and I'm super confused on what I need to install. I click on the links in the instructions, it leads to more links then leads to more links.
blu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #157
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, besides the hard, required dependences (JB, Python, MKK, KUAL), this touches some very picky parts of the system, hence the numerous warnings and recommendations of coming prepared, both with an understanding of the risks, and a means to recover in case of trouble (USBNet, Rescue pack).

So I'm afraid you're actually really going to have to *read* (and, better, understand) the various parts involved in the process. I know I can be wordy and overly tortuous, but I think this is especially warranted in this case.

(TL;DR: I'm happy to help on the particulars (hint: a specific, detailed question is best), but a simple 'meh, too much reading' isn't a great approach ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-30-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #158
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

I think I followed the steps correctly. If I go to font override and show current font, it lists the font I want. However, when I try to change fonts in the aA menu, no new font option has appeared.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #159
jsv
jsv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2; ASUS ME302C
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu- View Post
However, when I try to change fonts in the aA menu, no new font option has appeared.
With 5.4 there will be no new options in Aa menu, you have to select the font you've overriden. On PW2 that's Caecilia for Serif, Caecilia Condensed for Condensed and Helvetica for Sans. Also, after setting an override in KUAL menu, you need to restart the framework to see any changes.
jsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #160
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
@NiLuJe: Any idea what is the use of empty "fonts" folder at /mnt/us/system/fonts ?
Tried adding .ttf files to that folder and restarting PW1 (fw 5.4.4) to see what would happen and it does nothing (visible) As in the new font doesn't appear in Aa menu, and it's not listed in Kual font hack sub-menus ("custom" nor "amazon") after I did "update fontcofig cache" via Kual button.

Also, more on the topic: shouldn't clicking on "show current" button display/print out the name of the font family currently in use as Ceacilia condensed override? I'm using font hack v0.7.N r10206.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@blu-: What jsv said. There's more details in the first post, along with the requisite hints & warnings on the best approach to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.

@shamanNS: Yep, that's the folder used by FW 5.4 to setup fonts 'contentpack' the official way (currently, mostly CJK fonts). It's way, way more involved that simply putting fonts in there to make them pop up in the Aa menu, there's a thread in here where someone (ameho, IIRC) posted detailed instructions on how to create a custom contentpack & manifest.

EDIT: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228579

The "show current" button not doing anything unless you're in verbose mode should be fixed in the latest version .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #162
blu-
Enthusiast

I added a font before and it worked fine, but now I'm having trying adding a second font.

I updated the fontconfig cache, populated the menu, but I still only see one font selection when I go into custom.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Make sure it's in the correct folder, actually sane (i.e. not corrupt), that the cache has indeed been updated, ditto for the menu, and relaunch KUAL just in case.

If that doesn't help, PM me the font file and I'll take a look at it .
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #164
blu-
Enthusiast

Fixed it. Looks like I had to set the Freetype to the Amazon default.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #165
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. That doesn't make much sense (unless you're using the latest snapshots, in which I introduced some potentially break-ish changes to the FT builds).

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch