Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Will a screen protect work with sony prs-650

I'm thinking about getting a screen protector for my new Sony PRS-650 (ordered).
Does anyone know if the screen size is exactly the same as it was for the PRS-600 and will a screen protector interfere with the new touch technology of the PRS-650?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The 650 still has the 6" screen, but I've been wondering about how a screen protector would interfere, too. If the reader has infrared, would the protector block it?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The 650 still has the 6" screen, but I've been wondering about how a screen protector would interfere, too. If the reader has infrared, would the protector block it?
A screen protector should not interfere with the touch as long as it does not go up the sides of the screen or is too thick since the infrared beams come from all four sides of the screen. The beams hover above the surface of the glass. I have not tested this. However it may very well interfere with reading... why would you want to do this?
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
... why would you want to do this?
I'm a little afraid that over time cumulative finger swipes will leave scratch marks.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
I'm a little afraid that over time cumulative finger swipes will leave scratch marks.
If you get scratch marks on the screen from touching it, then you're doing it wrong As Robert22 says, the new touch screens rely on detecting when the user breaks the IR beams projected from the sides of the screen, so you don't even need to actually touch the screen. It's enough to just put your finger close enough to break the beams, but for practical purposes this would mean touching the screen. You don't need to press on it though.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Using your fingers or the included stylus (which has a plastic tip) or your finger nails will not scratch the screen. Using a sharp object (like an ice pick) will. It takes no pressure at all to activate the screen. The glass seems a lot tougher than window glass.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Rob87
Rob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toysRob87 shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-600
In order to scratch the screen the material being pressed against it must be harder than the glass. Now unless your fingers coated in gravel or you're using an ice pick as a stylus the screen wont scratch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_sc...neral_hardness

Last edited by Rob87; 09-14-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Rob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_sc...neral_hardness

Though a decent reference, my wife likes to read in all sorts of places including a place known for it's sharp granulated SiO2 crystals, and god, they get everywhere.

There are applications where extra protection makes sense, and some of us leave our kids in car seats till they weight 75lb or more... I like margining on the side of safety if it doesn't cost me much.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
There are applications where extra protection makes sense, and some of us leave our kids in car seats till they weight 75lb or more... I like margining on the side of safety if it doesn't cost me much.
Well there you go. If it is a reasomable price and can be easily removed then by all means try it. BUT... if it looks like being at all a pain inthe butt budget for spending a few dollars on a new ereader for your wife eventually. It isn't like you won't have to do that eventually
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen protector, sony 650