Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
Noto
Noto began at the beginning.

Device: Don't have
First eReader

I want to buy an ereader, I've never had it but I've always used an android tablet in night mode, with the cool reader app. I do not want a Kindle, they recommended Kobo but I'm open to other brands (I want to buy on amazon.it) I'm looking for an ereader with these features:

Having side lighting
Have Dictionary Ita-Eng for translations of sentences while I read a book in English
Ability to underline and export everything in a single text file
Synchronization with personal library of Caliber on cloud (gDrive or Dropbox), but I could also do without it

Even better would be to be able to underline with a mouse / pen and have the text to speech, but for these characteristics maybe I should turn to tablet again.

They advised me to hack a kobo and use the KoReader player, but I do not know if it supports everything.
Noto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 checks all the boxes, including text to speech (a few languages out of the box, many more can be installed freely from the official website) and Dropbox, except exporting underlines and notes http://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/pro...tbook-inkpad-3

On my Pocketbook device (Inkpad 2) I have an It-En dictionary that probably was there out of the box. I don't remember putting it there.

I never used Calibre, but all other Pocketbook users tell it can be used.

If Inkpad 3 is too big or clunky (7.8" screen), a much smaller Touch HD 2 has all the same features http://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/pro...ook-touch-hd-2

Last edited by mobama; 08-27-2018 at 02:10 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2018, 03:07 AM   #3
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
On a Pocketbook you can also install Coolreader to use Nightmode. If you highlight something with the hardware buttons in CR, it puts the highlight in a .txt file.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I just checked. My Kindle Oasis ( I am assuming all kindles have this) has translation to any language when you click on a word and scroll thew the menu options. I own Kindles, nooks and a kobo and you can side load on all of them. You can also highlight with your finger.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I would also suggest a Pocketbook, either the InkPad 3 (which I have) or the Touch HD 2 if you prefer the smaller size. If you opted for a Kobo, my pick would be the Clara.

Calibre works with all of the devices mentioned.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Noto

It's a nice discovery this Pocketbook, for months i was looking for an ereder like that !!
Do you have speakers to listen to audio or just by jack? Does it have bluetooth to connect it to headsets / car radios?

So to understand better:

- proprietary software
Dropbox YES
Dictionary YES
Export underlines NO
Can I also read in landscape?

- Cool Reader
is it easy to install like on an android tablet ? or do you invalidate warranty ?
does it keep proprietary software? (I would use it only to synchronize the library on dropbox)
Dictionary Eng-Ita? To be able to read books in English
Export underlines YES (I think it's the same as the android app)
Underlining using hardware buttons, or touch, or both ?
Night Mode YES
TTS? On android I used it, but it is possible to change it ? I read well about Ivona
Can I also read in landscape?

Obviously regarding Menu, TTS, Dictionaries, I'm interested in Italian.

It's possible to use KoReader?
Old 08-31-2018, 02:58 AM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On PB Inkpad 3 you can listen to audio by jack with a micro-USB adapter, on Touch HD 2 by jack only. There is no bluetooth in PB devices.

Read in landscape: The Inkpad 3 has a built-in sensor for that.

Cool Reader is easy to install. If you take brucelee's version from the forum here, you just need to copy some files to the home directory and adjust extensions.cfg.

There is a Dropbox app installed for synchronizing already. It does not work through CR.

Dictionary Eng-Ita: There is one which can be used with the proprietary reading app. With CR you need to install another external dictionary.

CR creates a text file for highlights. Highlighting works with hardware buttons.
TTS is possible only with the proprietary reading app
Landscape is possible in CR.

KoReader is also possible.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Noto

Thanks!!

Ok, then:

- Reading Proprietary App
Dropbox sync YES ( for copy libraries on SD )
Dictionary Eng-Ita YES
Landscape ( verify on Touch HD2 )
Underlining and export ?
Night mode ?
TTS and Music YES but only jack

- CoolReader
Dropbox sync NO ( but use libraries on SD )
Dictionary Eng-Ita NO, but is possible external dictionary
Landscape YES
Underlining and export YES
Night mode YES
TTS and Music NO, this is a problem because with android app CR already use this function, but here i should switch from one app to another

- KoReader App
Dropbox sync ?
Dictionary Eng-Ita ?
Landscape ?
Underlining and export ?
Night mode ?
TTS and Music ?

To switch from one app to another is easy or you have to restart PB ?

Is it possible to connect external devices from the USB port? I think of the OTG function of android.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

- Reading Proprietary App
Dropbox sync YES ( for copy libraries on SD )
Dictionary Eng-Ita YES
Landscape on all PB devices
Underlining and export - export is planned to be implemented in future firmware
Night mode - NO
TTS and Music YES but only jack

- CoolReader
Dropbox sync NO ( but use libraries on SD )
Dictionary Eng-Ita NO, but is possible external dictionary
Landscape YES
Underlining and export YES
Night mode YES
TTS NO
Music - on seperate app which can run simultaneously

- KoReader App
Dropbox sync NO
Dictionary Eng-Ita - external
Landscape YES
Underlining and export - don't know - see Koreader wiki
Night mode - YES
TTS NO
Music - on seperate app which can run simultaneously

To switch from one app to another is very easy via task manager.

Is it possible to connect external devices from the USB port? NO
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Noto

Thanks again for the answers and the help, it seems that PB is "almost" perfect ... it comes close to my idea of ereader.

Are there any other brands with these characteristics?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 AM   #11
Noto

I have read that this user has the same needs as me
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289125

he has listed models of other brands, I discovered Onyx, but android 4 does not convince me
Old 09-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #12
Noto

best price for touch hd 2 ?