Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 AM   #31
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not only does it take a lot of resources to compute a large font the first time, it requires a lot of memory space for the font cache.
If you're referring to the fontconfig font cache, you can't render any fonts without that in place already, so if your Kindle is displaying anything resembling text, you already have the fontconfig cache in place.

I'm not aware of any other aggressive work done by fontconfig or freetype: fonts are rendered lazily, as required, so the size of a font or the number of glyphs has little effect on performance (though very complex single glyphs might still slow things down a bit). The last system I'm aware of to do aggressive computation of anything much relating to every glyph in a large font was X11 core fonts, and the Kindle doesn't use those. It's a lethally bad idea with modern Unicode fonts with many thousands of glyphs. It was fairly common to see X servers lock up for minutes at a time back then.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #32
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
The total amount of battery time is important, of course. But I've been thinking just now, that what really matters just as much, is the issue of how accurately the battery life is displayed by the reader's firmware.

If the remaining battery amount is displayed accurately and reliably, then I don't need to worry about it. Nobody reads for 14 hours without taking a break, and during a break you can easily plug in the reader to charge.
I hate to be the exception to the rule you just stated Braid. I frequently read for 14 or more hours with minimal bathroom breaks. While I do read with my tablet plugged in when it runs out of power, it is a valid question I'm asking.

I see all the ads for how kindle and other eink devices have much longer battery lives than my Samsung tablet is supposed to have yet when I go to look it up I find the time is referred to in days or weeks and not in actual reading numbers. I just want to know how long I could expect a kindle or other eink device to work if I was away from a charging source in terms of reading hours.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #33
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I recharge my voyage once every 2, 3 days. Wi-Fi off. Light ~50%. Sensor off.

I've never gotten weeks of battery life with any kindle I've had, except during fallow periods when I don't read much.
Thank you. About how many hours a day do you read? I recharge my Samsung Tab 4 7" every day or two but I read between 8 and 16 or more hours most days. I normally have wifi off and my light is set at around 40% or so brightness. I do read with it plugged in sometimes lol.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #34
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That very much fits in with what I get on my Voyage in terms of total number of hours reading time.
So somewhere around 20 to 30 hours? Which model HarryT? That is somewhat better than my tablet. I assume it is with wifi off and is there a light or ???
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why do you ask "which model" when I specifically said "on my Voyage" in the message you quoted?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #36
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
So somewhere around 20 to 30 hours? Which model HarryT? That is somewhat better than my tablet. I assume it is with wifi off and is there a light or ???
I'm not Harry, but I read approximately 2 hours a day, wifi is always on, and my light is at about 10. I charge every 10 days or so.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #37
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thank you. About how many hours a day do you read? I recharge my Samsung Tab 4 7" every day or two but I read between 8 and 16 or more hours most days. I normally have wifi off and my light is set at around 40% or so brightness. I do read with it plugged in sometimes lol.
Maybe 8-10hrs on heavy days, though I don't time myself. I do use largish font size so I have to turn page more often than average. It should last longer than your Samsung tab. You should be able to go a whole day at least, regardless of how much you read.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #38
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you ask "which model" when I specifically said "on my Voyage" in the message you quoted?
Sorry. I didn't know if there were more than one Voyage model. I have never had a kindle and am only thinking of getting one so reading outside will be pleasant.

I still much prefer a tablet with the one exception of glare. Both the kindle and the kobo lack a micro sd card port which I find to be a huge lack. Just because it will hold 4 gig of content doesn't mean I don't need more! I like having thousands of books with me including graphic novels which are very large.

Can I configure either the Kindle or the Kobo to arrange the books in order by file name? If not by file name then by Author name and then series then title?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Sorry. I didn't know if there were more than one Voyage model. I have never had a kindle and am only thinking of getting one so reading outside will be pleasant.

I still much prefer a tablet with the one exception of glare. Both the kindle and the kobo lack a micro sd card port which I find to be a huge lack. (1) Just because it will hold 4 gig of content doesn't mean I don't need more! I like having thousands of books with me including graphic novels which are very large.

(2) Can I configure either the Kindle or the (3) Kobo to arrange the books in order by file name? (4) If not by file name then by Author name and then series then title?
1) Buy the Japanese model, it holds 32Gbyte.
Plus, the newer models can keep most of the content on your Amazon account's cloud.

2) Yes, that is called a: "Collection"

3) Ask about the Kobo on the Kobo forum.

4) No, that is called a: "Nested Collection"
That hasn't been possible years now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #40
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The significant part of the post was:
Not only does it take a lot of resources to compute a large font the first time, it requires a lot of memory space for the font cache.
Hm.

It has not happened since that (though I haven't used the new one as much as my old PW.

That it might be a memory problem (if I understand the comments correctly) might be but on the other hand shouldn't the Kindle developers have solved it by now after so many device versions have been released? I imagine it happens to other people too.

This was/is the reason I wanted to check out a new Kindle - for about 1 year (or less) it has started to crash quite often. In most cases when using the biggest or second to biggest font and almost always after several fast page turns.
I do think it is the device but since this is an "old" PW and jailbroken it is probably not worth looking into it.

It certainly shouldn't happen with a new one. If it does again I'll come back to your offer to look into it, thanks!

knc1
Regarded collections - isn't this offered for the cloud stored books with the Voyage?
Haven't checked it out since I do not use this feature on Kindle.

Collections on device and sizeable fonts for the GUI would be on top of my wishlist for future Kindle functions as well as automatic pageturn.
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You have it backwards, it should only happen, once, on a new one (meaning one that hasn't used a specific, huge font before).

= = = =

So you have to capture the logs WHEN it happens, because it probably will not repeat.

= = = =

All of which we have, now.
Your just in the wrong forum for those subjects.

Last edited by knc1; 04-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #42
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I bought a refurbished Voyage. It looks and works perfectly. Amazon also threw in a Amazon PowerFast USB Charger for free. It usually cost £17.99.

It's a lovely device. The flush screen is something I loved about the original Kobo Aura and I love it on the Voyage too. The page press buttons are really excellent and I love how they are mirrored on both sides of the device. The screen is noticeably sharper than the Aura. If only the Voyager had Pocket integration.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #43
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So, Voyage vs Oasis 1, used in very good condition, both with original leather case?
Upgrading from Paperwhite 1, 80% of the time is read in bed, 20% is reading in bus, so one handed usage, one handed cover flipping etc is important.

I used PW1 with it original case, I found it a little bulky and heavy but it offered great protection and it was easy to flip open with one hand. I didn't like feel of cover inside material, it was slippery so I ended holding index finger between the case and cover for added traction and security when reading in bus.

Voyage looks as straight upgrade, better screen and similar weight and size? But leather origami case concern's me, I don't know how practical is for one handed operation?

Oasis 1 looks fantastic, lower weight sounds promising but case offers little protection(I usally put Kindle in bag with phone and stuff) and nobody mentions one handed usage with cover in terms of weight, grip and general feeling?
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:15 AM   #44
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post

Voyage looks as straight upgrade, better screen and similar weight and size? But leather origami case concern's me, I don't know how practical is for one handed operation?

Oasis 1 looks fantastic, lower weight sounds promising but case offers little protection(I usally put Kindle in bag with phone and stuff) and nobody mentions one handed usage with cover in terms of weight, grip and general feeling?
I love my Voyage with the origami case. I read one-handed both with and without the case. It's really simple to remove the cover (and put it back on), so I do that quite a bit--when I want something lighter. I also find it comfortable to read with the Origami cover on--flipped over the top instead of over the left side like traditional covers. When reading one handed, I position my thumb over the haptic page turn button and a just a little pressure will turn the page.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote