Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Leo365
Leo365 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Kindle Oasis Screen White Spot

I turned my Oasis on and then found there was a lot of white spot in the screen.

This is more obvious in the black area.

I am very confused, because I did't see such things in my KPW1 and KPW2.

Is it a common problem in the 300ppi e ink screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	759
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	148566  
Leo365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo365 View Post
I turned my Oasis on and then found there was a lot of white spot in the screen.

Assuming it's not dust or dandruff or bread mould or something that just fell on the screen and can be simply brushed off, then no, all Oases are not like that. More terrible quality control from Amazon, I guess. Yet another return

They really should be inspecting more of each batch for something this expensive.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

If you page forward/back, do white spots go away or move?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Leo365

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Assuming it's not dust or dandruff or bread mould or something that just fell on the screen and can be simply brushed off, then no, all Oases are not like that. More terrible quality control from Amazon, I guess. Yet another return

They really should be inspecting more of each batch for something this expensive.
I found such kind of white spot in others' Oasis, but they were minor.

I didn't know whether it is related to product batch, for example, certain products sold in my area had these problem?

Last edited by Leo365; 05-10-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:

As opposed to the white area?
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Leo365

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you page forward/back, do white spots go away or move?
No, the white spots stand still.

It looks like there is a layer behind the screen glass, but the coating is not perfect or very bad.

This is very strange, I haven't heard about it from KPW1 to KV series.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
Leo365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
As opposed to the white area?
They are brighter than the normal white area.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, the white spots stand still.

It looks like there is a layer behind the screen glass, but the coating is not perfect or very bad.

This is very strange, I haven't heard about it from KPW1 to KV series.
I had a black spot on my PW1, around the same place as the bottom-middle of the menu bar.

It was, frankly, not very annoying (there was only one, after all), but it did detract from the look of the thing.

I'd guess yours is something similar, only you have way more than one bit of dust, way past the point where even I would return it, and the colour is different.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
Leo365

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I had a black spot on my PW1, around the same place as the bottom-middle of the menu bar.

It was, frankly, not very annoying (there was only one, after all), but it did detract from the look of the thing.

I'd guess yours is something similar, only you have way more than one bit of dust, way past the point where even I would return it, and the colour is different.
Oasis made a disappointing start...
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #10
nurseshelly
Connoisseur
nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: galaxy tab, kindle oasis
Mine does that sometimes when it's changing / refreshing pages ... but it goes away when the refresh is complete and only lasts a second or so.
nurseshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseshelly View Post
Mine does that sometimes when it's changing / refreshing pages ... but it goes away when the refresh is complete and only lasts a second or so.
Yeah, I think those white spots just indicate that the charged not-really-ink droplets are still migrating through the surrounding oil. This is something with moving parts, after all, even if they are driven by complex electric fields
Old 05-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I only notice it when I reboot the device while it shows the Kindle logo. The boy under the tree. It has white spots all over like in your picture. But once in the home screen, I don't notice it. Neither do I notice it when I open the Kindle User Guide and go to the cover which is black half the way down. It's pretty uniformly black.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:16 AM   #13
Leo365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I only notice it when I reboot the device while it shows the Kindle logo. The boy under the tree. It has white spots all over like in your picture. But once in the home screen, I don't notice it. Neither do I notice it when I open the Kindle User Guide and go to the cover which is black half the way down. It's pretty uniformly black.
If you set the front light at 24, can you notice it?
Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I found such kind of white spot in others' Oasis, but they were minor.
A white spot is never minor. It means some of the coating of the light layer has come off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #15
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If you set the front light at 24, can you notice it?
Yes, in fact the light level was 24 when I noticed it.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote