Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
mateusz83
mateusz83 began at the beginning.

Device: inkbook explore, Kindle PW3
inkBOOK Lumos - what's real

Hey!
I've recently stumbled upon two contradicting reviews of inkBOOK Lumos. One is on Mike's blog (https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-reader-review) and other on Nate's (https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...ustable-color/). Those two posts made me confused about the device. can anyone provide me with some hands-on information on the device?
mateusz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I didn't see any contradictory info. What's puzzling you?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I would not recommend buying it.

The jist of my review is that the core software is too buggy for me to recommend the device. Sure, i read three books in a series on it, but I spent that time with the reading app crashing and with it occasionally getting caught in phantom menu selection loops. I also kept hitting the wrong page turn buttons and going back in the book instead of forward.

Buy something else.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I didn't see any contradictory info. What's puzzling you?
I think they meant my teaser review?
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...ng-frotnlight/
Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
mateusz83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think they meant my teaser review?
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...ng-frotnlight/
Yes, I read your teaser and read your second thoughts on that later on. Is it really so buggy? I thought the price isn't too high so I did not expect any breakthrough.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I would not recommend buying it.

The jist of my review is that the core software is too buggy for me to recommend the device. Sure, i read three books in a series on it, but I spent that time with the reading app crashing and with it occasionally getting caught in phantom menu selection loops. I also kept hitting the wrong page turn buttons and going back in the book instead of forward.

Buy something else.
Is this unique to the InkBook Lumos, or do all InkBooks use the same software? I've looked at the InkBook Classic in the past (because of its lack of front-light and its page turn buttons) and thought this might be something I would be interested in. (Occasionally used ones show up on Amazon Warehouse — or they have in the past.) I can accept simple reading software (the Tolino Page has that) but "buggy" is another story.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is this unique to the InkBook Lumos, or do all InkBooks use the same software? I've looked at the InkBook Classic in the past (because of its lack of front-light and its page turn buttons) and thought this might be something I would be interested in. (Occasionally used ones show up on Amazon Warehouse — or they have in the past.) I can accept simple reading software (the Tolino Page has that) but "buggy" is another story.
I don't know - this is the first Inkbook model I've reviewed.

I think I may have older models sitting around somewhere. I'll pull one out and test it.

Edit: I have the Inbook D62 Prime. I'll try it and tell you what I think.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-13-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
mateusz83

Quote:
I don't know - this is the first Inkbook model I've reviewed.

I think I may have older models sitting around somewhere. I'll pull one out and test it.

Edit: I have the Inbook D62 Prime. I'll try it and tell you what I think.
I'm also looking forward to this review.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusz83 View Post
I'm also looking forward to this review.
My Prime is actually last year's model, so it has a 212 PPI screen but still runs Android 4.2 on a dual-core CPU. It should be a good way to compare.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
I do have Inkbook Prime for about half a yr already and very happy with it. Friendly, responsible and cozy. I do not use the stock reading app though, using AlReader eink adaptation instead.
Initially there was just one, though very irritating issue: Kindle app(sporadically), Fora and Golden dicts(permanently) and maybe some other apps used to send the screen to some very fast permanently blinking refresh mode with further freeze and spontaneous reboot. Boyue T62+ and Likebook 8", as well as Inkbook Obsidian, were behaving nice.
I did complain to Artatech folks, and within a couple of months they fixed it. I was really impressed, since actually already dropped all the expectations(initially they said "in a month").
I'm thinking now about Explore/Infinity, but not sure whether the processor is strong enough. They are single–core(Prime is quad), but on the other hand the guys are talking about some crafted Android optimized for eink, so I'm in doubts...
P.S. It's a pity there's no dedicated Inkbook section, btw
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #11
mateusz83

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
P.S. It's a pity there's no dedicated Inkbook section, btw
Yeah, I've noticed that too when I was looking for a reader for myself and were reading that forum in order to search info about the product on the market. Maybe there should a dedicated section for inkBOOK, it could be useful for other users.

Tags
e reader, inkbook, lumos