Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 01:13 AM   #16
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
"stand up" - an evacuation centre, a quarantine facility, a consulate etc.

Might be local jargon, our Marketing Manager says it all the time.

BR
I don't think I've ever heard "stand up" used that way. As a noun?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:58 AM   #17
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Speaking of single word peeves, another one of mine is when people use words incorrectly and then it becomes so widespread that the dictionaries start defining the new and formerly incorrect usage as correct. E.g., alternate, which used to be used as "the light alternates between red and green", but now it's used instead of the correct alternative. Or verbing; my favorite to hate here is gift; she gifted me her old kindle. Or not knowing the difference between the noun setup and the verb set up.

I sometimes wish we had some committee like the French do to mandate what's correct.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 03:00 AM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Speaking of single word peeves, another one of mine is when people use words incorrectly and then it becomes so widespread that the dictionaries start defining the new and formerly incorrect usage as correct.
I agree! "nice" should still mean "stupid, foolish, ignorant" the way it originally did eight centuries ago. Semantic shift is EVIL, and people who insist that language, every language, constantly evolves and changes are just being NICE. And don't get me started on the horrible lazy way the perfectly fine "god be with you" got slurred by slovenly, lazy speakers into the AWFUL modernism "goodbye"

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-29-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:33 AM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
"iconic"

...used about anything at all, now, so that it's meaningless.
(e.a.)

The section in Guy Deutscher's The Unfolding of Language that examined this process was one of my favorites. It explained much about the inevitability of the phenomenon, and its mechanics.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #20
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This one only bugs me when people actually mean "figuratively".

Hi @hobnail!
Exactly. It literally makes my head explode!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

"figurative 'literally' - peeving pedantic prescriptivists for not less than 250 years"

https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/10906...=literally#eid
"c. colloquial. Used to indicate that some (frequently conventional) metaphorical or hyperbolical expression is to be taken in the strongest admissible sense: ‘virtually, as good as’; (also) ‘completely, utterly, absolutely’.
Now one of the most common uses, although often considered irregular in standard English since it reverses the original sense of literally (‘not figuratively or metaphorically’).
1769 F. Brooke Hist. Emily Montague IV. ccxvii. 83 He is a fortunate man to be introduced to such a party of fine women at his arrival; it is literally to feed among the lilies."
Old 01-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #22
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
"iconic"

...used about anything at all, now, so that it's meaningless.
May I quote your iconic post?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #23
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are we ready to think outside the box in this thread? Can we push the envelope? (Both not really very recent, but as despicable as on the day they were coined...
Old 01-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

It is quite amusing to see the rather elastic definition of "current" for many of these peeves. The OED's first citation for the verb "gift" is from an unspecified date in the 16th century.
"15.. Wife in Morel's Skin C j b The friendes that were together met He [printed Be] gyfted them richely with right good speede."
I am in awe of anyone who's been alive so long they can consider a 500 year old usage a "current" development.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #25
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

"Gift" as a verb also makes a lot of sense, because "give" doesn't always mean "give as a gift". In German we have "geben" and "schenken", where the former is equivalent to "give", and the latter to "gift".
Old 01-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
"Gift" as a verb also makes a lot of sense...In German....
That kind of thinking is "poison"
Old 01-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #27
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Maybe.

But "new" words tend to get used when there is a need for them, a concept they serve to express that isn't expressed precisely enough by another word yet.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #28
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Maybe.

But "new" words tend to get used when there is a need for them, a concept they serve to express that isn't expressed precisely enough by another word yet.
Absolutely, I agree 100%.

My "poison" was, of course, a feeble pun - I love punning on words that look the same in different languages but have very different meanings.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I couldn't care less about any of the ones posted so far.

The only usage that upsets me is "I could care less" used when the speaker meant "I couldn't care less".

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #30
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Absolutely, I agree 100%.

My "poison" was, of course, a feeble pun - I love punning on words that look the same in different languages but have very different meanings.
Your pun was good. I was just too dense to get it.