Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #46
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Dracula (for example) is dry and dull. It's told in letters and journal entries and is not scar at all. The book is dull.
What's interesting about Dracula is that because of the letters it's written in the first person narrative but from multiple people. You don't often find books written in the first person narrative that have multiple characters telling the story.

On the other hand, the bemusing thing about books with letters is that, like Dracula, the letters give blow-by-blow detail of what happened, as if they were taking notes while those things occurred, and recount long conversations in exact word for word detail. It's unlikely that anyone has that kind of memory or would write it down in all that detail. But it's simply a literary device so I suppose we should overlook it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:20 AM   #47
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I have always loved Dracula, and find that most people who find it dull, are those who have seen too many film versions,and expect fast action, blood splatter, and extreme shocks. The true horror of the text lies in what is implied rather than what is shown,very often.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2020, 05:04 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
I have always loved Dracula, and find that most people who find it dull, are those who have seen too many film versions,and expect fast action, blood splatter, and extreme shocks. The true horror of the text lies in what is implied rather than what is shown,very often.
I've found that the style of letters/journal entries doesn't work at all. IT makes the book dry and boring. Having to work out what's implied doesn't work. Because the material we have to work with doesn't work well. This is a good idea poorly executed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:07 AM   #49
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Each to their own! As I stated, I have always loved the book of Dracula, and the same with the book of Frankenstein. The latter suffered even more than Dracula from film fans expecting the violent rampages from the film(s) plot, and finding the story 'dull' and 'slow moving'. Both books were of course, products of their respective times. And yes, I have read many horror novels/stories,and can see where people are coming from with their opinions;which I respect, without always agreeing with.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The Queen's Gambit

I think the Netflix series is slightly better then the book.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #51
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm a fan of Walter Tevis, but the Netflix version was riveting from start to finish. A great piece of drama.
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just finished book The Witches of Eastwick and saw the movie many years ago. Although my memory of the movie is a little fuzzy, I preferred the movie to the book.

Last edited by John F; 06-28-2021 at 05:17 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:36 AM   #53
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i haven't read that book but i love and adore the film and i have since i was a kid
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #54
timebug
Ancient Sage

I found the film of Dennis Lehane's 'Shutter Island' made a lot more sense than the book did. The book (IMO) was badly written or really badly edited and parts of it made no logical sense at all.The film cleared up these glitches and was a much more cohesive narrative.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #55
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i haven't seen that one either or read the book, it's funny how that sometimes happens isn't it? one book that i read years ago was Along came a spider (1992) by James Patterson great book, fantastic book the film was decent to be fair but the issues i have it changed too much i think, it wasn't that much they changed but the big bad in the book in case you haven't read it lived on for at least another 2 or 3 books i really don't remember yet in the film he dies.

there are other books i've read where the film was actually better than the actual novel but i can't think any off the top of my head

Last edited by wildhoney66; 06-28-2021 at 11:14 PM.
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #56
timebug
Ancient Sage

CONTAINS SPOILER FOR 'FIRST BLOOD' (The Book)

RE an important character dying; I read the book of First Blood by David Morrell
a while before the film was made. In the book, John Rambo is killed at the very end by his mentor Sam Trautmann. In the film, he is arrested and carted off to prison, thus allowing various sequels! In the introduction to the second book, Morrell comments that 'In my book,Rambo died;in the movies, he lives on'...