Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad
May I ask what is probably a silly question?

How the heck do I generate page numbers/spans when exporting from InDesign (CC) to a reflowable ePub3 file —*so that I can then use this plugin to generate a pagelist?

I can see that they're automatically there when I export to FXL. For a novel, do I have to go through and enter the #)@$*)@ things by hand, or is there something that I can do at the InDesign end to add the tags?
David Kudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this compatible with ADE 2.0.1? If not, why not make it compatible?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kudler View Post
How the heck do I generate page numbers/spans when exporting from InDesign (CC) to a reflowable ePub3 file —*so that I can then use this plugin to generate a pagelist?
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. You might want to ask this question in the Workshop forum or the ePub forum.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #19
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. You might want to ask this question in the Workshop forum or the ePub forum.
Will do. Thanks for your help — and for the awesome plugins! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this compatible with ADE 2.0.1? If not, why not make it compatible?
Um... ADE 2 doesn't handle ePub3 at all, does it? Pagelists are an ePub3 feature.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:53 AM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Um... ADE 2 doesn't handle ePub3 at all, does it?
Nope. I believe EPUB3 support was added in ADE 4.0.

Quote:
Pagelists are an ePub3 feature.
Actually, pageLists can be done in EPUB2:

http://www.idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPF...Section2.4.1.2

EPUB3 just changed the way it is done.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For the record: ADE 2 will read/render text-based EPUB3s (novels primarily) just fine. You're correct that it doesn't support the multi-media aspects, or the scripting portions, or the fixed-layout portions of the EPUB3 spec, but "supporting" EPUB3 all depends on the EPUB itself. It's not like ADE 2 (or 3) says, "I can't open that." It, in fact, opens/renders many commercially-available EPUB3s just fine.

Offtopic though. My apologies, Doitsu. Back to pagelist/pagemap generation.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I believe EPUB3 support was added in ADE 4.0.
That's correct, however, ADE 4.x won't display pagelist based page numbers in the book. (At least the Children's Literature test file, which worked fine with iBooks, didn't work with ADE 4.x; there's a Show Page Numbers menu item, but it doesn't seem to do anything. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Actually, pageLists can be done in EPUB2:
That's also technically correct, but, AFAIK, there are no free ePub2 apps that actually support this feature. Even among dedicated ePub3 apps pagelist support isn't that great. AFAIK, the only free ePub3 apps that support pagelist page numbers are iBooks and Azardi Reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Offtopic though. My apologies, Doitsu. Back to pagelist/pagemap generation.
Your comments are always welcome, because they usually contain useful information or are at least entertaining.
The same goes, of course, for Tex2002ans who consistently provides high-quality answers.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-16-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
That's also technically correct, but, AFAIK, there are no free ePub2 apps that actually support this feature. Even among dedicated ePub3 apps pagelist support isn't that great. AFAIK, the only free ePub3 apps that support pagelist page numbers are iBooks and Azardi Reader.
For EPUB3 readers, Readium works as well (and I assume any Readium SDK-based apps (there is probably a few on Android)).

Quote:
The same goes, of course, for Tex2002ans who consistently provides high-quality answers.
*slips you some money under the table*
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
LauraB7
LauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with othersLauraB7 plays well with others

Device: all
I have a set of InDesign scripts to do this. It inserts conditional text with the page numbers inserted at the print page breaks. A post-export script will turn that <span> into the correct epub:type inflection and collect the pagelist to plop into the <nag> document.

See: http://www.bradytypesetting.com/rorohikoscripts
LauraB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB7 View Post
I have a set of InDesign scripts to do this. It inserts conditional text with the page numbers inserted at the print page breaks. A post-export script will turn that <span> into the correct epub:type inflection and collect the pagelist to plop into the <nag> document.

See: http://www.bradytypesetting.com/rorohikoscripts
<nag> document.

I know this was a typo, and I know what you meant, but boy .... did it ever make me giggle!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #26
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
<nag> document.

I know this was a typo, and I know what you meant, but boy .... did it ever make me giggle!
#eprdctn humor! :-)
Old 08-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #27
David Kudler
Enthusiast

I have a book that I'm converting that's widely used as a textbook in print, so this is great.

Just to be sure I understand what I have to do to make this work:
  1. Paste the epub:type="pagebreak" clip at the location where each pagebreak occurs in the physical copy
  2. Run the plugin

That's it, right?

I'm bummed that InDesign only supports pagelist export for fixed-format ePubs.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:50 AM   #28
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just to be sure I understand what I have to do to make this work:
  1. Paste the epub:type="pagebreak" clip at the location where each pagebreak occurs in the physical copy
  2. Run the plugin

That's it, right?
For the clip to work, you need to insert the page number, highlight it and then select the clip.

For example, if you insert 12, highlight it, and apply the clip you'll get:

Code:
<span epub:type="pagebreak" id="page12">12</span>
The plugin will use this information for generating the pagelist entries.

If there already are anchor tags with page numbers and ids in your book, you can modify the PageList.json preference file to re-use them. For example, the following preferences

Code:
{
  "tag": "a",
  "attribute": "class",
  "value": "page"
}
tells the plugin to look for:

Code:
<a class="page" id="page1">1</a>
However, in epub3 books, you'll need to manually add the epub:type="pagebreak" attributes.

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-09-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #29
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Red face

Quote:
For the clip to work, you need to insert the page number, highlight it and then select the clip.
Thanks. That's what I understood; I just didn't express it very well. ;-)

I'm about to dive into this. Wish me luck.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #30
Terry Brown
Enthusiast
Terry Brown began at the beginning.

Device: M1 Max Mac Studio, iPad Pro 2018 12.9, iPhone 7
I have used the pagelist plugin to modify an epub, saved it and loaded it in iBooks on my iPad. iBooks recognizes the new file has page numbers and shows the option, in the table of contents, to "tap to show printed page numbers". However, when I do this, the page numbers in the table of contents do not change, and when I am reading the book, there are no page numbers shown on an individual page. When I tap to show the menu and chapter progress, the number of pages left in the chapter is shown, but this number is related to the iBooks page number, not the 'real book' page numbers I added (that is, the number of pages left in the chapter changes with font size.).

Is there something else I need to do to make the page numbers show up?
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pagelist, pagelist generator