Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #43021
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are using GUIs, what GUIs are you using?
Depends on the device.

The desktop I'm posting from runs Win10 Pro, but I've replaced the New! Improved! Win10 Start menu with a fork of the open source Classic Shell, which allows you to change that. The default, which I use, reproduces the Win7 Start menu.

The two Android devices got the stock GUI replaced by Nova Launcher.

The old notebook that dual boots WinXP Home and Ubuntu Linux has Lxde as the GUI on the Linux side. (WinXP is stock, but if I use it at all I boot into Linux.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:42 AM   #43022
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
The bootloader I use is GRUB. After installing Deepin, it got an aurora background. No GUI, just arrow keys and enter button. Edit: If you're talking about Linux, I use GNOME.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #43023
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
The bootloader I use is GRUB. After installing Deepin, it got an aurora background. No GUI, just arrow keys and enter button. Edit: If you're talking about Linux, I use GNOME.
That's what I was wondering about. I have 4 VMs of Suse Tumbleweed with different GUIs to play with.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #43024
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what I was wondering about. I have 4 VMs of Suse Tumbleweed with different GUIs to play with.
IMO, physical operating systems are much more convenient than VMs, because in VMs, you're running 2 operating systems at a time, whereas with physical ones, only one is running. I tried emulating Windows 7 in QEMU, and my computer crashed. It's probably because it's an old laptop though.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #43025
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
IMO, physical operating systems are much more convenient than VMs, because in VMs, you're running 2 operating systems at a time, whereas with physical ones, only one is running. I tried emulating Windows 7 in QEMU, and my computer crashed. It's probably because it's an old laptop though.
I 've run into a couple of documented issues with VMs but haven't had undocumented issues with VMs running with VMWare Workstation Pro. Even my Big Sur VM is a happy camper.

Admittedly, my laptop is a Lenovo workstation replacement so enough CPU, RAM and disk space to allow running multiple VMs,
Old 03-04-2021, 05:29 AM   #43026
rainerm
Groupie
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Chained through conscience and obligation. Now looking to head out with a heavy heart. #strictlycoded
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #43027
Elektron
Banned

I'm planning to start compiling Gentoo Linux on my 11 year old Aspire this weekend. It should be done by the end of March... :/
Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #43028
poohbear_nc
What Next?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
OK - this is sort of pathetic - but - because of age and health conditions, we've sheltered in place for a year now - and pivoted to having everything delivered/curbside pick-up/drive thru. Haven't been inside a store at all.

Then I got vaccinated. And waited 2 weeks.

Today I went to the grocery store! It was exhilarating! Actually getting out of the house and doing something normal! Everyone inside was masked and very well behaved. And it's the cleanest I've ever seen inside a Food Lion.

I hadn't realized how much I've missed doing ordinary stuff - in person.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #43029
Elektron
Banned

I'm reading while my laptop sits beside me compiling a Linux kernel, and wondering why it hasn't melted yet. I can't even touch it...
Old 03-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #43030
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Drying off after clearing a seriously clogged bathtub drain.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #43031
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
I'm reading while my laptop sits beside me compiling a Linux kernel, and wondering why it hasn't melted yet. I can't even touch it...
Consider pointing a small fan at it? And then turning the fan on, even?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #43032
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Watching my laptop running a cross-compiler. Going by the error messages scrolling up the screen, it's not going to work. At a wild guess, someone forgot to reference a bunch of libraries.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #43033
Elektron
Banned

How do you know it's an error message? It was moving too fast for me to read. Even now, it's speedrunning while compiling Xorg. @badgoodDeb: I don't have a fan, but I did have that idea...
Old 03-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #43034
DNSB
Bibliophagist

When you see words like error scrolling up the screen, you do get the suspicion that there is something wrong. Went back to the dev this morning and several header files was not included in the package--doesn't everyone have every prerequisite pre-installed? Though most of them were only needed when compiling for ARM64 on AMD/Intel x64 platform.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-09-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #43035
Elektron
Banned

Quote:
When you see words like error scrolling up the screen, you do get the suspicion that there is something wrong. Went back to the dev this morning and several header files was not included in the package--doesn't everyone have every prerequisite pre-installed? Though most of them were only needed when compiling for ARM64 on AMD/Intel x64 platform.
Oh. What package manager are you using? I'm familiar with a few of them. Also why are you compiling for ARM64 on an AMD64 computer?

I'm at school right now, but I suspect that Xorg-server is compiled. Now I just need to emerge Xorg-drivers and Xorg-x11, then we get to KDE Plasma.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?