Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
MarcoNancy
MarcoNancy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Eternal question :)

Hello (i used google traduction),

I'm a real beginner in e-readers but I know how to set up a web-caliber server:

I am looking for an e-reader which connects to a web-caliber server and which recognizes ALL formats (ebook, cbz, pdf, etc ...). I would like to be able to read all my books wherever I find myself ... There are too many of them and I don't know how to find my way around ... Could you please help me?

I'm sorry for this question, I think others have asked it before, but I don't have the patience to search the forum

MarcoNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Something tells me you'll be best suited to an Android based tablet.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I think we may need to know more about you, and other wishes or needs you have for a device. For example, where are you located? I wouldn’t want to recommend a type which is difficult to obtain in your location.

Another question I have is if eink screen is important (potentially less eye strain for long reading sessions), or it isn’t that important?

Any other needs vs wishes? Audio? Size?
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoNancy View Post
I'm sorry for this question, I think others have asked it before, but I don't have the patience to search the forum
So you don’t want to waste your own time trying to find an answer to your issue, but you expect the members to waste theirs helping you?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So you don’t want to waste your own time trying to find an answer to your issue, but you expect the members to waste theirs helping you?
In this forum, I would definitely expect it. Just try to stop them telling you what's right.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
In this forum, I would definitely expect it. Just try to stop them telling you what's right.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
MarcoNancy
MarcoNancy began at the beginning.

Device: none
First of all thank you for your answers !
- I live in France.
- E Ink is an option?
- I currently have an Ipad Mini but at night but with the "night" function does not suit me. I rarely go there, but at the beach I can't see the screen very well
- I don't need audio and the maximum size is that of the iPad mini to hold it with one hand!
MarcoNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I am going to start by saying yes, eink is an option if you want to connect to a Calibre web server and grab a book from your personal library. I do it all the time. The eink device needs to be able to connect to the internet (WiFi needs to be available), and the device have a web browser....which just about every device does these days. They might call it an “experimental” browser, but it still works to connect to Calibre web. Sometimes I have to say http://mypublicipfor.my.Calibre.me:123456/mobile. (The /mobile is the important part) but it works fine.

Now that you know eink is a choice, for Europe / France... I’m not from there, but check out Pocketbook, and Onyx Boox. There is of course always Amazon Kindle too. But I think as a Calibre person you may like pocketbook or boox more.

I have tried a boox (a year + ago), and I have pocket book touch hd 3. I personally like the pocketbook over the boox, but everyone is different in needs and wants. Both make a device of about the same diagonal size as an iPad mini
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given some of the formats you want to read, a 10.3"screen is the size you want to be able to read comfortably.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote