Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #16
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
So right now I see the Lifebook Mars and the Boox as options... I realise BT audio would have a batterty issue. However I would like an eInk device. I think I'll look into the Mars. Does it have BT and ePub?

Last edited by Elektron; 01-24-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:17 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Some of the things I want are: Pocket, Bluetooth audio, a headphone jack (not necessary), an inverted screen option, a web browser (this is a must for me!), OverDrive, and easy modding/hacking.
A stock PocketBook HD3 has most of these. Bluetooth audio (headphone jack with included USB to 3.5 audio jack), a fairly decent web browser, Overdrive via the Web Browser (ADE is built-in) — and the option to install Cool Reader or KoReader (which allows an inverse screen). No built-in Pocket support (though it does have built-in DropBox support — along with PocketBook Cloud and Send to Pocketbook).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #18
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Mars is $400 CAD so I'll give up on that for now. The Boox and Pocketbook look promising.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:27 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, the SD card pretends to be Internal memory, and you mean move apps & data from the original real internal Flash to the SD card mounted as additional internal memory.
When installing the internal SD card, many of the additionally installed applications are moved to the SD card.
You can see this in the Android Settings (Storage) - and these can and should be moved back; there are applications that forget to login there, but not in the internal memory.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
So right now I see the Lifebook Mars and the Boox as options... I realise BT audio would have a batterty issue. However I would like an eInk device. I think I'll look into the Mars. Does it have BT and ePub?
Yes it does, both. Generally this kind of thing is answered in our wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You are better off with an Onyx Boox because the newest models run Android 10 and they have BT 5.0 if you want Android.

But I like the idea of a Pocketbook better as it has better stock reading software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are better off with an Onyx Boox because the newest models run Android 10 and they have BT 5.0 if you want Android.

But I like the idea of a Pocketbook better as it has better stock reading software.
You should get to know the Android Pocketbook App on a Boox Device!
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
You should get to know the Android Pocketbook App on a Boox Device!
That's not possible as I do not have any devices that run Android.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
KOReader, from the website, solves the issue of ePubs on the Lifebook Mars. It is the cheapest 7.8" / 8" eink here with Android and Playstore. The built in reader is good on autocrop of scanned PDFs. The BT keyboard and necklace BT stereo earbuds work well. Kobo, Audible and Kindle apps from Playstore work and all apps so far except Playbooks still work after install when the Google Framework is disabled. Playstore audio, ebooks and comics work when the Google Framework is enabled.

If you don't need audio, Playstore, Kindle App, BorrowBox or tricky PDFs, then the 7" Kobo Libra is still best value. But the Mars is cheaper than the Kobo Forma by about €50 here.

I use Lithium for ebooks and Xodo for PDFs on the 10" LCD Tablet. I'd still only read and annotate ePubs that don't need an app on the Libra.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #25
Elektron
Banned

I'm thinking of maybe getting the new Kobo N604 coming out
Old 02-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm thinking of maybe getting the new Kobo N604 coming out
The newest unit I see is the Kobo Nia as recorded in our wiki which just came out recently. Typically Kobo doesn't have numbers like N604. Is this some engineering designation?

Dale
Old 02-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The newest unit I see is the Kobo Nia as recorded in our wiki which just came out recently. Typically Kobo doesn't have numbers like N604. Is this some engineering designation?

Dale
N604 fits the Kobo model designation for their eInk devices, the Kobo Nia is a N306 for example. See Identify your Kobo eReader or Kobo tablet for a list of the model numbers. N604 is not on that list since the device has not been released and the information comes from a FCC application.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
N604 fits the Kobo model designation for their eInk devices, the Kobo Nia is a N306 for example. See Identify your Kobo eReader or Kobo tablet for a list of the model numbers. N604 is not on that list since the device has not been released and the information comes from a FCC application.
Ah, Thank you.

Dale