Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
TheOneTopCat
TheOneTopCat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Question Change ONLY Cover in PDF or EPUB

I often only want to replace the cover stored in a PDF or EPUB file. Is there a way to do this without performing a conversion. PDF's in particular, since running a conversion on a PDF is often problematic.

I am often disappointed when sending a book to one of my devices (nook simple touch, or ASUS android tablet {using Mantano or Aldiko readers for their library organizing capabilities} when the cover is either not what is displayed in Calibre (usually due to an update of the metadata) or is blank. This is frustrating.

Any advice is welcome, and if there isn't a mechanism for doing this, perhaps this could be developed as a plug-in or maybe Kovid would consider incorporating the capability of just changing the cover within the e-book. Apparently updating the cover doesn't actually store the cover in the file.

Thanks.
TheOneTopCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If an epub is not having the cover be updated, then the epub probably did not mark the cover as being a cover -- as far as calibre knows the ebook doesn't have a cover. You can fix this using the Polish Book tool (shortcut key is "P").

PDFs cannot be edited (because that is the point of a PDF ) -- you cannot update the cover. With anything.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTopCat View Post
I often only want to replace the cover stored in a PDF or EPUB file. Is there a way to do this without performing a conversion. PDF's in particular, since running a conversion on a PDF is often problematic.
Sending any epub to your device via calibre's Send to device feature does update any cover that is properly identified in the epub. If the cover in the epub was not not updated when sent to your device then it was not properly identified. At this point you would need to follow eschwartz' advice and use the Polish feature to update the epub before sending it to your device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS T-1
I use the 'edit metadata' button on the calibre toolbaar. It lets you download a cover when blank. After editing the metadata, calibre puts the cover image in the epub file so it should be fine when you transfer the ebook to your devices - but when this doesn't work, you can always try the polish book tool ofcourse.
JLius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLius View Post
I use the 'edit metadata' button on the calibre toolbaar. It lets you download a cover when blank. After editing the metadata, calibre puts the cover image in the epub file so it should be fine when you transfer the ebook to your devices - but when this doesn't work, you can always try the polish book tool ofcourse.
No it doesn't. Calibre doesn't update the book file when you save the changes. It only updates the library copy of the metadata and the cover file. The book is updated when you do a conversion, use Polish books or send the book outside of the library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No it doesn't. Calibre doesn't update the book file when you save the changes. It only updates the library copy of the metadata and the cover file. The book is updated when you do a conversion, use Polish books or send the book outside of the library.
The modify epub plug-in will also put the new cover in the book, if configured for that, without running a full conversion so that's your epub solution:

book -> calibre
edit metadata ->download cover
modify epub

it is also excellent for cleaning TOC if you've removed any unwanted adverts etc from the book
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
The modify epub plug-in will also put the new cover in the book, if configured for that, without running a full conversion so that's your epub solution:

book -> calibre
edit metadata ->download cover
modify epub

it is also excellent for cleaning TOC if you've removed any unwanted adverts etc from the book
Modify EPUB was created before Polish Book, and includes several options that were later baked into calibre as Polish Book.

There is no need for it's advanced options here, as any recent version of calibre can simply use Polish Book. It does the same thing without installing a plugin.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When I add a cover with edit metadata, and afterwards open the editor, the cover is written in the html file.
When I transfer the book to my reader using calibre library, the new cover is also transfered to my reader.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but edit metadata works fine for what I use it.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLius View Post
When I add a cover with edit metadata, and afterwards open the editor, the cover is written in the html file.
That isn't what I see. If I open the metadata edit window, drop a new cover on into the window to change it and save, when I open the book in the calibre viewer or editor, it still has the original cover. Calibre doesn't change the book when you edit the metadata.
Quote:
When I transfer the book to my reader using calibre library, the new cover is also transfered to my reader.
That is expected.
Quote:
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but edit metadata works fine for what I use it.
I don't know how you are achieving this with out a convert or Polish. This has been discussed here MANY times.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
By default, when you open a book in the editor, the metadata is updated in that book. This can be turned off via Preferences->Calibre integration in the editor.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #11
JLius
Village idiot

Thank you for clarifying!

Tags
conversion, covers, epub, pdf