Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #91
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I know it's supposed to be waterproof but I think you were very brave putting your brand new Oasis in a bowl of water!
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #92
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just received my Oasis this morning. I love the screen size but I am super pissed the bold font settings are not here in this firmware! I got used to having Bookerly in Bold just the way I wanted.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguion View Post
I just received my Oasis this morning. I love the screen size but I am super pissed the bold font settings are not here in this firmware! I got used to having Bookerly in Bold just the way I wanted.
Don't panic! They'll reappear when you install the updated firmware, I believe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #94
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I updated mine manually. I'm very happy with this Kindle, it's snappy, the screen is beautiful. Now I need a decal and a cover.

It's nice to be back to the ease of Amazon content. The browser download from Calibre works fine also.

I'll post pictures once I get them edited to make them smaller.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #95
oldhaggis
Enthusiast
oldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Sony T3, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
I know it's supposed to be waterproof but I think you were very brave putting your brand new Oasis in a bowl of water!
Was only a small bowl but I had to be sure, otherwise it would have been straight back to Amazon !
Anyway i'm off to read a book in the shower
oldhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #96
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Anyone able to try something for me? (or comment on it)

how comfortable is it to hold while lying on your back and holding with one hand? that is one thing that i was thinking of buying the first generation Oasis for. that's how i read with my PW3, and i hold it with one hand using my thumb and pointer finger in an L configuration. that works, but ultimately gets tiring after about 15-20 minutes. i am wondering if the weighting of the new oasis (almost same weight as PW3) would allow for a more comfortable reading session while lying on one's back...
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #97
oldhaggis
Enthusiast
oldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmosoldhaggis has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Sony T3, Oasis 2
Quote:
They are in the update you get ota, there is a slider bar to go as bold as you wish!
oldhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #98
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't panic! They'll reappear when you install the updated firmware, I believe.
Thanks Harry! As soon as I sat down at the computer, the Kindle magically rebooted and updated the firmware. I see the bold font options now. And the bluetooth option and it's downloading an audible book right now.

The screen is quite evenly lit and very smooth! With the new screen size I feel like I am reading a trade paperback. I still have my Voyage here to compare and that feels like a regular paperback.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #99
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Testing to see if this picture is decent. I’m having trouble reducing it without removing clarity.

It’s not a great picture...this is my new Oasis on the right, my husband’s 2nd gen Paperwhite on the left, same book same font settings. Brightness at 100% on both devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA957059-BFB8-4265-A5C0-FC6F4A53D295.jpeg
Views:	546
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	159712  
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #100
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I know this is a thread about the Oasis itself. But I see many that also ordered the cover to along with it. My Oasis isn't expected until Friday and I haven't ordered a cover yet, because I can't figure out if the leather is of the suede type the walnut KOA1 was or the smooth type the merlot one was. On pictures the leather just looks suede like and I wonder if its going to get marks all over it again. To say my walnut cover looks "aged" is an understatement.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I know this is a thread about the Oasis itself. But I see many that also ordered the cover to along with it. My Oasis isn't expected until Friday and I haven't ordered a cover yet, because I can't figure out if the leather is of the suede type the walnut KOA1 was or the smooth type the merlot one was. On pictures the leather just looks suede like and I wonder if its going to get marks all over it again. To say my walnut cover looks "aged" is an understatement.
I've got the tan leather cover (although not yet the Oasis to put in it ) and that is indeed leather of the suede type (eg if you run your fingernail along it it leaves a line). I like such a finish myself - I think it adds "character".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #102
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
On pictures the leather just looks suede like and I wonder if its going to get marks all over it again. To say my walnut cover looks "aged" is an understatement.
My guess is, it will get marks. A lot. Amazon calls it "patina"

@Harry: But "character" sounds much better. I also like those covers.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #103
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've got the tan leather cover (although not yet the Oasis to put in it ) and that is indeed leather of the suede type (eg if you run your fingernail along it it leaves a line). I like such a finish myself - I think it adds "character".
Character, is that what it's called? . I mean looking at my walnut, I still like it. Its unique, its soft. I still lean towards the leather as I really don't like any of the colors of the fabric one. Is the saddle a very light leather? Or has a bit of a brownish tone to it. I wouldn't want it too light.
Thanks for answering me, at least I know now and I can make decision properly.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #104
Rix__Mix
Rix__Mix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can someone please weigh their leather cover and another please weigh their waterproof cover? Very interested in seeing which is lighter in weight, surprised Amazon does't list these in the specs.
Rix__Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #105
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Here is my Merlot Leather cover, very smooth and elegant. Like Harry I am waiting for an Oasis to go in it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6595.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	697.6 KB
ID:	159713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6596.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	923.3 KB
ID:	159714  
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote