Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
kevincar
kevincar began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon 518
HTXT format??

Hi all-

I'm new to the world of ebook readers.
I just got a Hanvon 518 and can't find anything anywhere about the "HTXT" format -- Can someone throw me a clue?

I'm imagining it's a fast-paging format, because epub and PDF speed is ghastly.
It's not HTML or "hypertext" - it's some sort of packed text format that I can't seem to crack.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Especially in regards to tools for conversion of HTML/TXT to this format.

KC

Last edited by kevincar; 02-27-2010 at 03:08 AM.
kevincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
GambitDeclined
GambitDeclined began at the beginning.

Device: GambitDeclined
I'm in the same boat. I'm beginning to believe that htxt is exclusively Chinese.

Last edited by GambitDeclined; 03-07-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Poor grammar.
GambitDeclined is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
I think is not chinese. My sister has a Nintendo DS and can read books on it, and uses this format htxt and others with dslibris (sourceforge).
I'm not sure if this can help.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
kevincar
kevincar began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by GambitDeclined View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm beginning to believe that htxt is exclusively Chinese.
Thanks for the link, anabelee -- but I don't have a Nintendo .

I think it's "Hanvon Text" format -- and Hanvon has not responding to my emails.

I found this link from hiboo:
http://www.hibnet.org/ti/hiblib/hibL...oc/node26.html

But this is prolly just for text screens on TI calculators.

and I think it's *brief* and incomplete description of the format - at least it seems to fit what the file looks like, but I've found zilch on the Net for converters or any utilities.

KC
kevincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I do not believe the Nintendo program is really htxt anyway. The site says ePUB which is xthml a very different thing. Interesting you found something, however I agree it is probably not the exact format that Hanvon uses. They also have an mtxt format which is also undocumented. I suspect you are right in that these are Chinese formats. I do notice that the Hanvon list htxt as one of the few formats that support notes which likely means it is not an image since attaching a note to an image by selecting text would be more difficult.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Sorry for mistaking the formats, kevincar and dale.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
mtcheung
germantie
mtcheung began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon WISEreaderN520
I am Chinese, and I do read Chinese in both styles.
How can I convert pdf or docx files to htxt.

I do not get useful information from the representative in Hong Kong.

Germantie
mtcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcheung View Post
I am Chinese, and I do read Chinese in both styles.
How can I convert pdf or docx files to htxt.

I do not get useful information from the representative in Hong Kong.

Germantie
Can you tell us anything about the HTXT format? Is is Chinese specific? If you bring it up in a text editor do you see TXT or binary? If you see text do you see some formatting info mixed with the TXT? In order to convert to that format we need to know what it looks like.

Dale
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
mothlight
mothlight began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon N516
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Can you tell us anything about the HTXT format? Is is Chinese specific? If you bring it up in a text editor do you see TXT or binary? If you see text do you see some formatting info mixed with the TXT? In order to convert to that format we need to know what it looks like.

Dale
I'm wondering the same thing. It is a binary format. The Linux file command doesn't know anything about it and no programs associate themselves with it.

$ file winesburg.htxt
winesburg.htxt: data
$cat winesburg.htxt
008108816827866<9d>Zñ<87>^\|Ü^Q½<93>^YÈr<ëÞ¼
$cat topics.htxt
4008108816827866<9e>|Ï«,M¤i×µ[þ:
and so on.

I assume it is some proprietary format for Hanvon (i.e. Hanvon-txt). Or is maybe encoded with a wide character set. Still trying to work through it.

Annoyingly, my new reader came with hundreds of books on it, but the file names are only vaguely enlightening. I'd like to figure out a quick way to rename them by finding the author and title in the files.
mothlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothlight View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. It is a binary format. The Linux file command doesn't know anything about it and no programs associate themselves with it.

$ file winesburg.htxt
winesburg.htxt: data
$cat winesburg.htxt
008108816827866<9d>Zñ<87>^\|Ü^Q½<93>^YÈr<ëÞ¼
$cat topics.htxt
4008108816827866<9e>|Ï«,M¤i×µ[þ:
and so on.

I assume it is some proprietary format for Hanvon (i.e. Hanvon-txt). Or is maybe encoded with a wide character set. Still trying to work through it.

Annoyingly, my new reader came with hundreds of books on it, but the file names are only vaguely enlightening. I'd like to figure out a quick way to rename them by finding the author and title in the files.
Keep working on it. If you want to send me a copy of one or two books I will try and find out myself. PM me, I will be out for a few days so I may not be able to quickly get back to you.

Dale
Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
mothlight

Quote:
Keep working on it. If you want to send me a copy of one or two books I will try and find out myself. PM me, I will be out for a few days so I may not be able to quickly get back to you.

Dale
I posted some files here
http://tinyurl.com/yeblage

I tried playing around with converting from different character set encodings, but I didn't come up with much.

Kerry.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, I got them. Will look at them in a few days. Hopefully somehow we can get to the bottom of this. Have you tried contact Hanvon directly? When you display the files on your computer what language are they in?

Dale
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
mothlight

Quote:
Thanks, I got them. Will look at them in a few days. Hopefully somehow we can get to the bottom of this. Have you tried contact Hanvon directly? When you display the files on your computer what language are they in?

Dale
Ahh, browsing through the manual, it appears that they are encrypted files, somehow tied to the device serial number. The translation is a little awkward, from page 18, http://bit.ly/bFJ4n8

The directory structure is
$ ls
Audio hwreader recorder
English Book hwrecentfile.sys Simplified Chinese Book
HWDeviceID.log Image Traditional Chinese Book

Half the books are in Chinese, but so far I haven't gotten any of those to actually display anything on the reader. The rest are in English (presumably taken from Gutenberg). But there are more than enough things to read on Gutenberg though that are easy to obtain, so it isn't a big deal.

Kerry.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Were the ones you set for download in Engish?

Dale
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
mothlight

Quote:
Were the ones you set for download in Engish?

Dale
Yes, in English.

Like the winesburg.htxt should be pretty much exactly
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/416/416.txt
Although it has a lot of the introduction stripped out. It starts with

Winesburg, Ohio by
SHERWOOD ANDERSON

The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some
difficulty in getting into bed. The windows of the
house in which he lived were high and he wanted to look
at the trees when he awoke in the morning. A carpenter
came to fix