Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
zee
zee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
help newbie prs-505 please

i need

i got a prs-505 (slightly used). my problem is that i can't get my device to be authorised by adobe digital editions. my pc (windows xp proffessional) is authorized but the device cannot be.

when trying to transfer bought ebook (from whsmith) to device, error message: no permission to copy here.

when trying to authorize device to pc, error message:e_auth_bad_device_key and e_act_too_many_activations

does this mean that the device was activated to another pc already and needs to be deactivated? how do i fix this problem, please someone explain in simple terms, so much much want to use my reader, have it for 3 months and nothing

does resetting the reader help?

also can i just use adobe to transfer and not sony library, but must have it on the pc?
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
It does sound like you've got a device that's exceeded it's number of autherisations. YOu could try asking the seller to de-register it. But it might be easier to contact sony or adobe, and explain the issue to them. They may be able to clear it for you.

Yes you need to have sony library on your pc. But don't use it because it's horrible. The adobe works fine. Or Calibre - available on MR.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
zee

thanks sony_fox

i just sent through my info to adobe so lets hope they can sort me out. sony is no help though, contacted the sony head office here in cape town, south africa, the best they could do was say 'sorry we did not bring in the product so we cannot help you, nor do i know anyone that can'. thanks a lot sony

will keep you updated as to whether i got sorted, thanks for caring
Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Zee,

Is the book you downloaded an Epub book? Have you been able to download it to your Adobe Digital Editions software and view it on your pc?? If so you might consider using a lovely tool created by I love cabbages that takes the drm off the epub and then you can use Calibre to put it on your reader or convert it to lrf which is what I do on my 505.

Here is cabbages thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=ADEPT
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
zee

thanks AFK_Matrix

thanks for the help all you wonderful people.

i am just waiting for adobe support to get back to me. if they can't help then i will definately be using your method AFK_Matrix!

watch this space for an update on whether i am reading yet or not!
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I could be wrong but it seems like the previous owner may not have de-authorized the reader so it's still registered under their account. I could also be wrong on this, but I heard that doing a hard reset on the reader de-authorizes it. Can always give that a try and then re-authorizing it with adobe and Sony.

I got this from the 500 wiki but has notes about what is different on the 505 for a hard rest. Note that I've never attempted this before so don't know the details:
Hard Reset

(erases all contents)

* If the device is on, slide the "Power" so that it turns off. Look for a small pinhole on the back panel (not the side, that's the charging indicator LED) and press the reset button on the back using a bent paper clip (do not use anything sharp like a pin).
* Slide the "Power" button to turn it on. While the screen displays "Starting up ...", you will see the light above the "Power" button flash in yellow. Wait for 35 to 40 seconds, then proceed to hold down the "MARK" and "VOL +" buttons.

(NOTE on the PRS505, do not wait those 35~40 seconds, push and hold the "Mark" and "VOL +" buttons immediately -- the boot window is shorter on 505s)

* CONTINUE TO keep these 2 buttons pressed for about 5 to 10 seconds, until the round "PAGE" button makes a quick blue flash.
* CONTINUE to keep these 2 buttons pressed for another 25 seconds, the screen will show a "Reset All" message, and ask to delete all content.
* Press button '5' to clean up content, this could take several minutes if you have many files on the Reader. When the deletion completes, the Reader will turn off.
* Press the "Power" button to turn it on; this could take several minutes if you have many files on the Reader.
* Connect your device to your PC and log-in to the store.
* Go to Account>Manage Devices – you will be asked if you’d like to authorize this device to your account. Please say yes.
* Your device should be ready to read eBooks purchased from your account.

Last edited by MerLock; 02-06-2010 at 12:11 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote