Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 02:45 AM   #46
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem (as it looks to me) is that you have the weight turned up too high in the ePub. Turn it down until it look like the KePub's weight.
I can't, it is the minimum size. Don't you find that amazing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It seemed to me that WebKit was a bit snappier than RMSDK, but it might have been my imagination.
And kindle readers? What engine do they have?
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:27 AM   #47
repilo
Enthusiast
repilo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I edit ePub with Sigil to add drop caps, for example. They look fine in Sigil, they look fine in Calibre viewer, they look fine in Kindle (converted to azw3 by Calibre). In Kobo however I have to convert to kepub to see it the same as in the other viewers. Kobo ignores some css codes when displaying epub. For example these:

Code:
.sc { font-variant:small-caps; text-shadow:.5px .5px 1px #808080; }

.pDropCap { text-indent:0; } /* Use: <p class="pDropCap"> */
.pDropCap:first-letter {
	float:left; font-size:2.98em; margin:-.216em .1em -.3em 0;
	/*float:left; font-size:4.64em; margin:-.254em .08em -.35em 0;*/
	text-shadow:1.5px 1.5px 4px #808080; }
.pDropCap:first-line {
	font-variant:small-caps; text-shadow:.5px .5px 1px #808080; }
This automatically adds drop caps to the p following each h1, and small caps to the first line of said p:

Code:
h1:not([class]) ~ p:first-of-type:first-letter {
h1 ~ p:first-of-type:first-line {
This converts the text of h2 to uppercase:

Code:
h2 { margin:2.8em 0 1.2em; font-size:.945em; font-weight:normal;
		text-transform:uppercase; }
This uses hr for scene breaks, automatically adding three asterisks as separator:

Code:
hr { /* Scene break: <hr/> */
    width:0; margin:0; height:2.5em; border:none; background:none; }
hr + p { text-indent:0; }
hr.asteriskS { /* Scene break with ***: <hr class="asteriskS"/> */
	width:100%; height:2.2em; text-align:center; padding-top:.5em; }
hr.asteriskS:before {
	content:"\2217\2217\2217"; letter-spacing:.5em; font-size:1.5em; }
All this, and other figure/figcaption related things, plus footnotes, do not display well or not at all in epub format in Kobo, but display correctly in kepub (and in Sigil, Calibre and Kindle).
repilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2024, 05:37 AM   #48
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

The truth is, these kobo are disappointing and lacking.
I'm ready to go back to my old Paperwhite. Without any regret.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:46 AM   #49
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It IS a fact that epubs do some things better than kepubs - word spacing and typography. That most users don't notice or care doesn't make this fact nonexistent. I care nothing for kerning and ligatures either, but I do know that epubs are better in this regard. This is not JSWolf's personal opinion, it's a fact.

Kepubs also do some things better than epubs, so it's the matter of personal preference which format to use.
A fact that most users don’t notice. Hmm.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:47 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
When I had my Kobo, I stoped using patches a while ago, years? My daughter and spouse both have a Kobo, they never touch anything. I just set their Calibre to transfer epub to kepub. That’s it. You have to realize that your knit picking is not something most people do. So, yeah, the way you obsessed with the looks of your ebook is based on your opinion. Facts for you, nothiing important for others.
It's not nit-picking. KePub looks terrible out of the box. The spacing between words is large and there is no microspacing like RMSDK. There is no kerning and no ligatures.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2024, 07:49 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It IS a fact that epubs do some things better than kepubs - word spacing and typography. That most users don't notice or care doesn't make this fact nonexistent. I care nothing for kerning and ligatures either, but I do know that epubs are better in this regard. This is not JSWolf's personal opinion, it's a fact.

Kepubs also do some things better than epubs, so it's the matter of personal preference which format to use.
KePub does ePub 3 (ePub 3 specific features) much better then the version of RMSDK Kobo is using.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:52 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I can't, it is the minimum size. Don't you find that amazing?
That is odd. Unless for whatever reason, it's using the bold variant. Do you have a link to the font please?

As for KePub being faster, that used to be true, but not any longer.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:54 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repilo View Post
I edit ePub with Sigil to add drop caps, for example. They look fine in Sigil, they look fine in Calibre viewer, they look fine in Kindle (converted to azw3 by Calibre). In Kobo however I have to convert to kepub to see it the same as in the other viewers. Kobo ignores some css codes when displaying epub. For example these:

Code:
.sc { font-variant:small-caps; text-shadow:.5px .5px 1px #808080; }

.pDropCap { text-indent:0; } /* Use: <p class="pDropCap"> */
.pDropCap:first-letter {
	/*float:left; font-size:4.64em; margin:-.254em .08em -.35em 0;*/
.pDropCap:first-line {
This automatically adds drop caps to the p following each h1, and small caps to the first line of said p:

Code:
h1:not([class]) ~ p:first-of-type:first-letter {
h1 ~ p:first-of-type:first-line {
This converts the text of h2 to uppercase:

Code:
h2 { margin:2.8em 0 1.2em; font-size:.945em; font-weight:normal;
		text-transform:uppercase; }
This uses hr for scene breaks, automatically adding three asterisks as separator:

Code:
hr { /* Scene break: <hr/> */
    width:0; margin:0; height:2.5em; border:none; background:none; }
hr + p { text-indent:0; }
hr.asteriskS { /* Scene break with ***: <hr class="asteriskS"/> */
	width:100%; height:2.2em; text-align:center; padding-top:.5em; }
hr.asteriskS:before {
	content:"\2217\2217\2217"; letter-spacing:.5em; font-size:1.5em; }
All this, and other figure/figcaption related things, plus footnotes, do not display well or not at all in epub format in Kobo, but display correctly in kepub (and in Sigil, Calibre and Kindle).
You cannot use pseudo classes with RSMDK (the version Kobo uses). You have to stop using psuedo classes and use a span instead.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:56 AM   #54
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not nit-picking. KePub looks terrible out of the box.
Come on… That is just not true. Period.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:18 AM   #55
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandNeko40 View Post
i suppose i don't have a "real" reason for asking this question, other than to satisfy my curiosity. but i know that people generally seem to prefer reading kepubs on a Kobo, over the standard epub. i know that Kobo's reader parses or renders kepubs differently than it does epubs. kepub enables features like inline or popup footnotes/annotations, chapter length estimations, and so on. so my question is this:

what's the technical reason for this? is it that Kobo handles epubs poorly or incorrectly? that is to say, do other devices support such additional features on a bog-standard epub, where Kobo has made a decision not to, in favor of their own extension to the format?

i'm just sort of wondering what's the point of the kepub in the first place. is it an anachronistic relic, left over from a time when the epub format specification was deemd lacking, and Kobo created an enhancement that they just haven't gotten around to abandoning?

I did stop using Kobo devices after I had to convert official epubs to be able to use them. What a waste of a device.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:32 AM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
The truth is, these kobo are disappointing and lacking.
That's why I patch mine. With patches, I like them much more than I ever did Kindles. Without patching I wouldn't want to read on them. But then I no longer want to read on Kindles either, which are also lacking and you can't even patch them like Kobos.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:33 AM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
A fact that most users don’t notice. Hmm.
So? Most users don't notice many things; doesn't mean they don't exist. Humans can't hear ultrasound either, does that mean it doesn't exist?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:39 AM   #58
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
None of the dedicated ereaders other than Amazon's natively support azw3/KF8 or KFX. They all support epub, which Amazon doesn't support on their ereaders.
PocketBook devices support azw3 files. IIRC, the software update from last year enabled this feature.
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:55 AM   #59
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Quote:
That is odd. Unless for whatever reason, it's using the bold variant. Do you have a link to the font please?

As for KePub being faster, that used to be true, but not any longer.
Here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=andika+ink
Old 03-20-2024, 11:02 AM   #60
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
So? Most users don't notice many things; doesn't mean they don't exist. Humans can't hear ultrasound either, does that mean it doesn't exist?
So, an invisible fact. Cool.