Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
Killray
Killray began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo touch won't set up with Linux debian, is this thing junk?

Bought a kobo hoping to sideload it, it wants me to set up an account with kobo desktop. Desktop will not work with linux debian which I run and besides of which I find the whole thing a privacy violation since invariably the device will be phoning home.

Can I run a Kobo touch without running their desktop app first?
Killray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:34 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killray View Post
Bought a kobo hoping to sideload it, it wants me to set up an account with kobo desktop. Desktop will not work with linux debian which I run and besides of which I find the whole thing a privacy violation since invariably the device will be phoning home.

You may have some fun doing this since the Touch firmware can have issues connecting to Kobo over WiFi due to severely outdated security protocols. If you connect it to your computer and copy the updated firmware, this may help with being able to do a WiFi connect. If you update the firmware and still have issues, you may want to see for how to edit the SQLite database to fake a user.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 12:53 AM   #3
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:

Don't know if this works on the touch but it certainly works on other Kobos. You may need to update your firmware.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=47
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:51 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I think you can update the FW if it is recognised by the Linux file manager when restarted and connected to USB.

I'm sure I used a Touch (version c) on Linux Mint, but don't remember how I started off. I've set up maybe 7 different Kobo models and I've never used the Kobo Desktop.

Firmware: https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
(Links go to Kobo servers)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:31 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
To answer the title: Yes, Linux debian is junk.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 07:38 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

I use Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu/Debian. My workaround for this issue on an old Kobo Mini was to download the newer Kobo firmware to my computer, then run the Kobo setup program. When it gave me the option to use the Desktop software, I said "yes." That gave the computer access to the Mini, then I just copied the update file to the Mini and rebooted.

I tried using the Kobo Desktop Application (in Windows) for updating but that didn't work. It was never able to finish registering — so Windows wouldn't be any help here either.

That said, I was trying to register the Kobo Mini, not trying to avoid registering it — so this may not be the result you want.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:07 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Once you update the firmware, you can connect to the computer again to enable sideload mode.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:26 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

However fakeuser@fakedomain.<any TLD> used to work to register.

SideloadedMode=true in the config, after updating, also removes shop and makes My Books the home page. So it's nice unless you want to sync to another Kobo. The shop content will still work via separate device web browser. I've used a file manager on Android with OTG to copy ebooks to and from a Kobo on Android 4.1, though I had to add a hub and USB memory stick for Android 13 to recognise it.
In theory even Android with OTG, file manager and jota plain text editor can let you add new FW and edit the config, if your Android file manager shows files and directories (folders) starting with a ".".
Old 03-15-2024, 12:57 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

If it was Windows, you'd be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Moderator Notice
Jon, please stop posting about switching to Windows. Accept that people are using the operating system of their choice and your comments add nothing useful to this discussion.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-15-2024 at 02:08 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:13 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never used the Kobo desktop on Windows. I used windows for years with a Kobo.
I didn't use Kindle desktop either, till I was given a fixed layout Kindle that wouldn't install on eink Kindle.
I tried Sony's for the PRS350, and apart from nearly unusable annotation import it was a pile of junk compared to Calibre.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:30 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Except you wouldn't. I tried using the Kobo Desktop in Windows when updating my Kobo Mini's firmware. The Desktop would let me try to register the Mini, but it would go into an endless loop and never succeed. I suppose I could have done the same thing in Windows that I did in Linux, tell the mini to update with the Kobo Desktop to give the computer access to the Mini and then copy over the update file. But why? — when it can easily be done in Linux.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:30 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Except you wouldn't. I tried using the Kobo Desktop in Windows when updating my Kobo Mini's firmware. The Desktop would let me try to register the Mini, but it would go into an endless loop and never succeed. I suppose I could have done the same thing in Windows that I did in Linux, tell the mini to update with the Kobo Desktop to give the computer access to the Mini and then copy over the update file. But why? — when it can easily be done in Linux.
The Mini is easy to deal with. Download the updated firmware for the same hardware type as the mini and manually side load it. That should not matter which OS is being used on the computer except maybe ChromeOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #14
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
And another thread successfully diverted.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:03 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The Mini is easy to deal with. Download the updated firmware for the same hardware type as the mini and manually side load it. That should not matter which OS is being used on the computer except maybe ChromeOS.
The problem is the setup instructions make it look like you can only register via WiFi or with the Kobo Desktop. If you try to use the Kobo Desktop for upgrading, it won't work. Just takes forever to not register.

So all you have to do is tell setup "use the Kobo Desktop" then it will let you connect to you computer and you can sideload the update file. It's just a matter of knowing not to waste your time trying to update with WiFi or the Kobo Desktop.

Once you do update the Mini, you still have access to Kobo store (at least you search the store, I assume you can buy books as well).